PDA

View Full Version : More Torque/Passing power?

HokieZHP
08-27-2011, 04:24 PM
Hey guys,

So I've noticed lately that at higher speeds the ZHP really lacks power. I was hoping to find some performance upgrades to increase the torque a bit to help with highway passing and low-rpm power. I know there are lots of options out there like pulleys, AA/Shark software, exhaust, etc. but which would you guys recommend to help this?

ZSP-Mafia
08-27-2011, 04:44 PM
You could swap in a 3.38 or 3.46 diff.

HokieZHP
08-27-2011, 04:45 PM
Would that affect my initial acceleration?

ZSP-Mafia
08-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Very much so. It'll bring your top speed down a bit, but since you have a 6th gear, you're still looking at 150+mph. I'm assuming your car is a MT?

Edit: I think I misunderstood the question. It will improve acceleration in every gear, but you'll have to shift sooner. For example, you won't quite hit 60 in 2nd anymore, more like 59.3 or something like that.

HokieZHP
08-27-2011, 05:00 PM
Oh...yeah I understand what you're saying. I'm looking more to boost overall torque. I like the gear ratios now. And yes I have a 6-speed MT.

What upgrades would give me the most torque increases? I know headers/exhaust would help quite a bit but I'm not in a position to drop that much dough right now...

ZSP-Mafia
08-27-2011, 05:12 PM
Not really anything you can do really. I have the shark, CAI, and exhaust and none of em really gave any power improvements.

johnrando
08-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I did AA plus performance intake, and I was happy with both (minor improvements), but neither really helped at highway passing/low rpm. That is my only frustration with this car (I have STEP which comes with the 3.6 diff). I just downshift to get more oomph, but I wouldn't mind it readily being there. If you find something that improves at that end, let me know.

HokieZHP
08-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm really leaning towards the AA tune and I already have an intake but I'll do some more research and see what I come up with.

SoarinZHP
08-27-2011, 05:55 PM
I think they're called turbos....

HokieZHP
08-27-2011, 05:59 PM
I think they're called turbos....

I wish! I'd love to turbo! No money though...and too high mileage for me to feel ok with it...

mimalmo
08-27-2011, 06:54 PM
Read post #6

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=625874

HokieZHP
08-27-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks for that. I think im going to pick up some underdrive pulleys. Thinking rogue engineering. Then I'll go from there. Thanks

johnrando
08-27-2011, 11:56 PM
That thread always makes me drool Eli. I do have the pulleys Chris so I'll let you know how they feel once installed.

webster
08-28-2011, 03:39 PM
wow that post #6 is something else. seems like the focus is to do the intake, exhaust, shark injector, rebuilt cooling system, pulleys and clutch. do all that (dropping $5k or so in the process) and you've got a pretty bitchin ZHP.

HokieZHP
08-28-2011, 05:07 PM
That thread always makes me drool Eli. I do have the pulleys Chris so I'll let you know how they feel once installed.

sounds good John! Can't wait to hear your results

Tony S.
08-29-2011, 04:37 AM
3.38 (+10% torque) or 3.46 (+12.7% torque) differential if you still want 6th gear as overdrive.

3.64 (+18.6% torque) differential if you don't care about fuel economy and don't mind turning 3324 rpm @80mph.

You are really not going to feel a difference from anything else mentioned here.

VA//M3
09-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Hey guys,

So I've noticed lately that at higher speeds the ZHP really lacks power. I was hoping to find some performance upgrades to increase the torque a bit to help with highway passing and low-rpm power. I know there are lots of options out there like pulleys, AA/Shark software, exhaust, etc. but which would you guys recommend to help this?

I would blame it on something other then the car needing upgrades. My completely stock 330ci with just about all the maintenance and then some you can think of would pin you to the seat if you gave it more then 1/4 at the highway in 5th gear @ 60 mph As soon as the engine is going over 3k rpm in 5th gear it starts pulling harder (approaching peak tq) and would just keep on climbing with ease. Also, a set of lightweight wheels will go a long way. That's the reason I still have the M68's since they are the lightest BMW 17 ' OEM wheels and the cheapest. the fronts are about 17.5 lbs and the rear close to 18.6 lbs. Compared to the ZHP's 22 lbs front wheels and 23.5 rear wheels

Also, If I even think of flooring the car in 1st gear with DSC off the car will spin tires like crazy, and it will chirp going into 2nd and really push when going into 3rd with michelin PS2's in the rear; even more so now with the RE power pulleys.

I would recommend you check your secondary air pump valve. The best way to check it is to remove said valve and replace it with part number 11121438086.
and drive it. If your valve is defective the difference with the block plate in place should be obvious.

VA//M3
09-01-2011, 07:42 AM
wow that post #6 is something else. seems like the focus is to do the intake, exhaust, shark injector, rebuilt cooling system, pulleys and clutch. do all that (dropping $5k or so in the process) and you've got a pretty bitchin ZHP.

I wouldn't go any further then the OEM BMW performance intake ( more intake noise and some hp gain at 5k rpm +), as far as exhaust I would only get headers, and install highflow cats further downstream if I wanted to stay emissions legal, I have a reason to think that merely updating your car to the latest DME software is sufficient, pulleys are great to do on our engines, not only do they help the engine rev up and make more ponies and tq throughout the entire rev range they also decrease the load placed on our Harmonic Balancer allowing it to last longer and perform better.

I've reached a point where I only need a S54 timing chain tensioner, OEM BMW performance intake, and ebay headers. After that A lightweight 10 - 15lbs flywheel and a ATI super damper. I wouldn't install a single mass Flywheel on our cars without replacing the OEM damper with a new one or an improved aftermarket unit such as the ATI unit. Our cars have enough harmonic problems as it is; the dual mass flywheel helps in that department.

For those getting the RE pulleys; your steering effort will increase; IMO it leaves it at where the steering should have felt to begin with.

HokieZHP
09-01-2011, 07:58 AM
After thinking about this more, I feel like it's the vanos that's holding it back. Especially in lower RPMs (<3k) the car has very little power in any gear. Even in 1st and 2nd.

Would the block plate harm anything? I don't know about that stuff but i'm curious cause I'd love to fix it if there's a problem

VA//M3
09-01-2011, 08:00 AM
After thinking about this more, I feel like it's the vanos that's holding it back. Especially in lower RPMs (<3k) the car has very little power in any gear. Even in 1st and 2nd.

Would the block plate harm anything? I don't know about that stuff but i'm curious cause I'd love to fix it if there's a problem

The plate won't harm anything.

Have you done your VANOS seals? and gone over your VANOS solenoid connectors?

Also, if you want more performance and better mileage look for some LTW5 wheels or OEM M68's for cheap. Reducing un-sprung weight does wonders.

HokieZHP
09-01-2011, 08:02 AM
The plate won't harm anything.

Have you done your VANOS seals? and gone over your VANOS solenoid connectors?

Also, if you want more performance and better mileage look for some LTW5 wheels or OEM M68's for cheap. Reducing un-sprung weight does wonders.

I haven't touched the VANOS since I've had the car. I'm at school now so I don't have a place or the tools to do it but I plan on replacing the seals when I go home. I haven't heard of the solenoid connectors for VANOS though. Do they also go bad?

VA//M3
09-01-2011, 08:05 AM
I haven't touched the VANOS since I've had the car. I'm at school now so I don't have a place or the tools to do it but I plan on replacing the seals when I go home. I haven't heard of the solenoid connectors for VANOS though. Do they also go bad?

Surprisingly, in some cases yes; however it's an easy fix.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=856781&highlight=

I would try that on your connectors even before diving into a VANOS seal rebuild.

The gains should be felt almost immediately after performing the fix above.

HokieZHP
09-01-2011, 08:09 AM
So "fixing" the connectors is just a matter of re-crimping the connectors. Also is there a diagram to where these connectors are?

VA//M3
09-01-2011, 08:17 AM
So "fixing" the connectors is just a matter of re-crimping the connectors. Also is there a diagram to where these connectors are?

They are connected to each VANOS solenoid. You basically remove the top fuel rail engine cover for the intake vanos connector. The exhaust depends on your situation. I removed my SAP, and winshield washer bottle so I can get to it without removing anything.

danewilson77
09-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Intake and exhaust vanos solonoids are located by the intake and exhaust CPS's if you know where those are. The vanos solonoids a cylindrical in nature. Silver in color.

danewilson77
09-01-2011, 09:53 AM
Piece 2...at below link...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=11_2170&hg=11&fg=15

That's the intake vanos solonoid

Exhaust is on other side on vanos.

mikeyb74
09-01-2011, 10:04 AM
V8 swap

HokieZHP
09-01-2011, 10:09 AM
supercharged V8 swap

fixed.

mikeyb74
09-01-2011, 10:11 AM
fixed.

That would be even better. :) But I have the keys to a S/C'd 04 GTO that I drive all the time. 0-100 in first gear is AWESOME!

az3579
09-01-2011, 03:45 PM
V8 swap

fixed.

Double fixed.

twin-turbo S85 swap (V10).

As far as power goes, you're limited by the amount of money you're willing to spend on it. If you just buy a part here and there, it's not going to amount to much and isn't going to get you anything worth spending money on. The only way you'll get a considerable bump in torque/power is if you spend thousands of dollars on engine tuning. The plain and simple (unfortunately), is that if you want more power, you'll have to either spend that cash or buy a faster car. I live with this sad realization every day. lol

mimalmo
09-01-2011, 05:06 PM
^Truth^

SC, Turbo, engine swap. Those are pretty much your options for big power in our cars.

Newjack
09-01-2011, 05:48 PM
What are the actual gains from underdrive pulleys? Can I damage anything by running them? or throw any codes?

HokieZHP
09-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Well hopefully John will share with us his experience with them here shortly so we can get a real-world perspective instead of claims

az3579
09-01-2011, 06:31 PM
Well hopefully John will share with us his experience with them here shortly so we can get a real-world perspective instead of claims

This. If I wasn't worried about my Auto-X classing, I would have gotten pullies by now, along with the catback exhaust and intake I'm planning down the pipe...

The biggest thing one can do to maximize performance with what he/she has (without buying stuff) is to reduce weight! It'll make the car less luxury-based, but it will certainly give you minute performance gains due to less crap to lug around. MasterC17 was doing just this; I remember him taking out a lot of dead materials in his car to reduce the weight by a significant amount.

danewilson77
09-01-2011, 06:36 PM
He ended up < 3000lbs.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

az3579
09-01-2011, 06:41 PM
He ended up < 3000lbs.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Extremely impressive. My car would have to go on MediFast to get down to that from 3310lbs!

johnrando
09-01-2011, 08:12 PM

Lots of back and forth on pulleys on e46f.c so I'm looking forward to real-world as well. Unfortunately might be a few weeks, schedule is slammed!

UdubBadger
09-02-2011, 05:38 AM
so when you finally realize that an S/C kit is the only way to actually ADD power, what kits do you guys suggest looking at?

danewilson77
09-02-2011, 06:00 AM
so when you finally realize that an S/C kit is the only way to actually ADD power, what kits do you guys suggest looking at?

Active Auto Werks.

Dinan

There's more....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mikeyb74
09-02-2011, 06:42 AM
VF Engineering
http://www.kmdtuning.com/images/uploads/VF%20Engineering/BMW/E39_328/E39_328.jpg

ESS Tuning
http://www.goodspeedperformance.com/Content/Products/p_3_20061222030732.jpg

My dream swap. LSX into a e46.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/imported/2011/07/BMW357Ci1500456-1.jpg

mimalmo
09-02-2011, 09:07 AM
LSx swap would make the purists puke but it would be seriously fast. A Miata with an LSx swap showed up at the track last weekend....it was ridiculous.

billschusteriv
09-02-2011, 09:25 AM
:drool

BlackBerry. Tapatalk.

Crickett
09-02-2011, 09:29 AM
An LSx?!?!? I know people put those things in anything, but . . . wow! Say g'bhye to those rear tires!! :drool

UdubBadger
09-02-2011, 02:55 PM
yeah heard of a lot of guys now doing mid 80's Porsches (924/944) with the LS1 swap for the track.

UdubBadger
09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
so..

VF
AA
ESS
Dinan (no chance I'd ever pay for this)

anyone else?

johnrando
09-02-2011, 03:11 PM
There was a used one on sale on e46f.c that was a brand I did not recognize, so you may want to check there, in the tuning classifieds.

mimalmo
09-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Technique Tuning does a turbo for the ZHP.

http://www.techniquetuning.com/e46zhpman.html

UdubBadger
09-02-2011, 05:16 PM
yeah saw a turbo zhp (i think on e46fanatics). Turbo seems like the most potential to build on but for some reason doesn't feel right ethically on a zhp. When I think zhp power I think S/C. Plus some can be had for almost 1/2 that price if I'm correct.

az3579
09-03-2011, 06:46 AM
yeah saw a turbo zhp (i think on e46fanatics). Turbo seems like the most potential to build on but for some reason doesn't feel right ethically on a zhp. When I think zhp power I think S/C. Plus some can be had for almost 1/2 that price if I'm correct.

I think the same as far as power goes, but the turbo makes more sense. It's cheaper, and you can get a turbo that spools up a little later so you keep most of the fuel economy down low in the rev range (below 3k rpms, for example). If I had to do forced induction, a supercharger would be where my heart's at, but a turbo would be where my brain's at.

UdubBadger
09-03-2011, 07:49 PM
well said

danewilson77
09-06-2011, 04:18 AM
Hey guys,

I always down shift to rapidly pass. That seems to dhu eet for me.