PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Delay Valve Removal doityourself

05ImolaRed
08-28-2011, 06:48 PM
Am new - 1st post, searched to see if this was here and couldnt find it. This was my experience w/ my 05 ZHP.

First it took a bit of research to see if it was actually still there. The web has quite a few posts/threads about the CDV removal but the actual valve looks quite different among diff models of BMWs -light,dark metal or plastic.

When both previous owners of my ZHP responded definitively they had not removed it, I felt confident to at least take the area apart. I really didnt snag a pic until I'd started to disconnect. It only took several turns and brake fluid was everywhere. You can see the CDV is supported in the metal bracket here between the rubber hose and the metal pipes. This area is on the drives side of the tranny just down from the clutch bleeder valve.

http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/53460-2/IMG_8648.jpg

Once taken apart w/ the 17mm and the 11mm wrenches. I could tell for sure the dreaded CDV was still there.
http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/53463-2/IMG_8650.JPG

Next take 2 17mm wrenches and remove the CDV. For some odd reason, I didnt follow other write ups to plug the line and stop the dripping of the brake fluid. This would later come back to haunt me.
http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/53466-2/IMG_8651.JPG

Here's what mine looked like once removed
http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/53475-2/IMG_8657.JPG

Hard to appreciate but there is only a tiny pin hole for clutch fluid to flow through
http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/53478-2/IMG_8658.JPG

The tools. Shop light, (2) 17mm wrenches, a 11mm and a 7 mm wrench. Not pic'd a pressure bleeder.
http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/53472-2/IMG_8656.jpg

Once CDV removed, screw ends back together 11mm + 17mm & tighten. Then proceed to bleed the system. I chose a pressure bleeder as my only helpers were the mosquitos.
Here's the clutch bleeder valve. Its a 7mm and wayyyy up in there. I loosened it w/ the wrench then opened it w/ my hand.
http://www.kcbmwclub.com/gallery/d/53469-2/IMG_8653.jpg
It was at this point that I got to bleed it 5 times completely exhausting the pressure in my pressure bleeder which had been pumped up to 10 and refill my brake reservoir w/ DOT 4 ATE gold brake fluid. Why 5 times? The first 3 nothing but air came out :jawdrop

When I finally got a solid stream brake fluid w/o bubbles, I tightened the valve, put the cap back on, checked for leaks while still under pressure. Then put car back down on the ground and was rather pleased w/ myself until I started the car and stepped on clutch. It felt like it had very little spring in it and I couldnt even get the car in gear. :barf: 30+ pumps and I was able to finally get it in gear. Went for a test drive and clutch engagement was just off floor and almost stalled it. Way diff than before and in a bad way. Fortunately driving it and shifting a ton brought it back to its old engagement points and feel. After that panic was over I was able to finally appreciate that the nagging delay in shifting was gone.

danewilson77
08-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Excellent. Thanks for pitching in.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
08-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Agree. New and already pitching in. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

webster
08-29-2011, 10:12 AM
nice write up, doing this on wednesday!

bcleaver
08-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the writeup.

aurelius
08-29-2011, 02:02 PM
nice write up, doing this on wednesday!

Totally worth it. Neither of my E46's had one but my E39 did and removal is the best $20 you'll ever spend on a car.

FWIW, BavAuto sells the Zeckhausen replacement part, which is a drilled-out CDV. More info on Zeckhausen's site.

05ImolaRed
08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Totally worth it. Neither of my E46's had one but my E39 did and removal is the best $20 you'll ever spend on a car.

FWIW, BavAuto sells the Zeckhausen replacement part, which is a drilled-out CDV. More info on Zeckhausen's site.

I just removed it. The two ends just screw back together. I didnt need a replacement part. I suppose if it was still under warranty I would have gotten the Z's replacement so the dealer couldnt tell I'd done it. So my mod cost $0 :roundel !! Apart from some brake fluid. I suspect if you clamp the flexible hose and plug the metal one you might not even need any until your q 2 year flush.

webster
08-29-2011, 03:50 PM
yeah i bought the modified valve from zeckenhausen, having it installed along with new cabin/air/fuel filters on weds. might do an alignment as well, i noticed the car pulling to the right on the freeway the other day...

Nivo
09-19-2011, 11:27 AM
if you are into any racing this needs to be done!

jreyes19
09-19-2011, 11:44 AM
i have been wanting to do this, but havent had the time :(
thanks for pitching in, great pics and DIY

danewilson77
09-19-2011, 11:46 AM
i have been wanting to do this, but havent had the time :(
thanks for pitching in, great pics and DIY

All you need is 15 minutes.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

jreyes19
09-19-2011, 11:49 AM
hmmm thought is was about maybe a 1 hour job (its exam week for FAU :( )
but ok :) then i will do this soon,

also when you bleed the line
is it you loosen the bleeder valve till all the air is released and it starts to drip fluid
then you tighten it back up?

danewilson77
09-19-2011, 11:49 AM
I didn't have to bleed.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

jreyes19
09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
why not?
i guess if you plug the line up good enough you wont have to bleed?

danewilson77
09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
why not?
i guess if you plug the line up good enough you wont have to bleed?

Yessireeeee.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

05ImolaRed
09-20-2011, 04:17 PM
also when you bleed the line
is it you loosen the bleeder valve till all the air is released and it starts to drip fluid
then you tighten it back up?

Yes, needs to be a solid stream of fluid, unless your quick like danewilson77 & dont let air in the line. I let way too much in, definitely plug line as soon as you can.

iZHP
09-20-2011, 05:15 PM
:like

SoarinZHP
09-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Very nice DIY with photos. Rock on bro!

Scorpius
09-20-2011, 06:05 PM
no problems with the brakes? seeing the clutch shares the brake system. i bled mine with my brakes and could tell a big difference. that lil sucker is heck to get to though and like a very tiny 6mm if i recall.. wish i'd thought of it at the time and done the delete mod with my brake job months back. :-( maybe next brake job.

BustedBoat
01-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Just so I wouldn't need to open up another thread for organization values, I have decided to restart this one :D. Firstly for me if I may ask does the car have to be on a lift for all work to be done? Due to issues I will not be able to borrow any garages from friends so everything will have to be accomplished through jacks, jack stands and ramps. Thanks for any help!

kayger12
01-09-2012, 02:47 AM
Just so I wouldn't need to open up another thread for organization values, I have decided to restart this one :D. Firstly for me if I may ask does the car have to be on a lift for all work to be done? Due to issues I will not be able to borrow any garages from friends so everything will have to be accomplished through jacks, jack stands and ramps. Thanks for any help!

Nope. Did mine on jack stands.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

05ImolaRed
01-09-2012, 04:32 AM
I've done it on a lift & jack stands. Both work, just more room on a lift.

Good luck!

redwagon
01-09-2012, 07:53 AM
Funny thing for me, a few months back I was going to pull it when doing a bunch of other work and found that the PO had already removed it!
Tim

BustedBoat
01-09-2012, 12:54 PM
That's fantastic news guys, made my day! How about brake bleeding, is a lift needed for that?

kayger12
01-09-2012, 01:02 PM
Nope. Over the course of owning my two E46s I've done cooling, brakes, rotors, vcg, vanos, oil filter housing gasket, control arms, cabs...

Didn't need a lift for any of it.

BustedBoat
01-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Alright CDV was removed today! Mission accomplished. Used the madrussian diy. Said it was supposed to take me 30 minutes for whatever reason took me a little more than an hour . :confused But that's not that bad, it was alright. Things I did notice in comparison to the guide. Skid plate removal? Was not needed at all! Don't know if that's normal or not. Also so no air would enter at all, I clamped the tube before doing any work at all. I think that saved me from having to bleed my brakes because the car now drives great!

tl;dr CDV successfully removed

Smolck
01-16-2012, 08:39 PM
Nope. Over the course of owning my two E46s I've done cooling, brakes, rotors, vcg, vanos, oil filter housing gasket, control arms, cabs...

Didn't need a lift for any of it.

I swapped my last E46 from auto to manual on jack stands. They are good for just about anything.

Also so no air would enter at all, I clamped the tube before doing any work at all. I think that saved me from having to bleed my brakes because the car now drives great!

tl;dr CDV successfully removed

What did you clamp it off with? I need to do this and hate bleeding the darn thing.

BustedBoat
01-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Not sure if it's the correct name but I'm going to feel around in the dark and call it plier clamps? It's kind of like pliers that lock when you squeeze the handles together.

zj96sc
01-17-2012, 05:42 AM
I think you're looking for "vise grips." Even rubber lines have braiding in them though so I don't know that this is really the best solution. I'd rather plug the line myself.

RITmusic2k
01-17-2012, 10:39 AM
I used mini vise-grips when I pulled mine as well. Also useful would be a small c-clamp, which is what I think the madrussian DIY suggests. Add me to the numbers who didn't need to bleed after the removal :)

kayger12
01-17-2012, 11:56 AM
I used a small c-clamp.... and bled it when I was done.

gammagoblin
01-17-2012, 01:17 PM
I did mine over the weekend. Stupid easy. No splash panel to remove. On Madrussian he has an M3 so the panels may be different, but the valve is the same.

Had only 1 17mm and 1 11mm, used a monkey wrench to hold the other one. C clamped the rubber side of the line. Barely 2 drops of fluid came out. Didn't bother to bleed. After doing this and the clutch stopper DIY, all traces of stupid have been removed from my shifting.

Dual
04-07-2016, 11:43 AM
My mechanic wants to drill out the CDV if he can't mate the two lines. Why not, I ask?

san
04-07-2016, 12:12 PM
Not sure why he won't be able to mate the two lines... It should be relatively easy to remove cdv and connect the 2 lines...

ryankokesh
04-07-2016, 12:16 PM
Not sure why he won't be able to mate the two lines... It should be relatively easy to remove cdv and connect the 2 lines...

^That

Dual
04-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Thanks guys

Tapatalk / iPhone

ELCID86
04-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Just reconnect them. Easy job.

terraphantm
04-09-2016, 08:14 AM
My mechanic wants to drill out the CDV if he can't mate the two lines. Why not, I ask?

Drilling out isn't a good idea since you can damage the seats for the flare and end up with a leak. But there is no reason he won't be able to connect the two pieces. The factory line has more than enough slack

Dual
04-09-2016, 08:28 AM
Thanks to all on this.

MrAdventure
04-09-2016, 04:01 PM
So, all our ZHPs (with manual) have this? I was beginning to wonder if the clutch was slipping, but it makes a lotta sense, now.

ELCID86
04-09-2016, 04:12 PM
So, all our ZHPs (with manual) have this? I was beginning to wonder if the clutch was slipping, but it makes a lotta sense, now.

Yep. Get rid of it.

AggieBlake
04-09-2016, 04:16 PM
Yep. Get rid of it.

+1

terraphantm
04-10-2016, 01:14 AM

Yep, all of them came with one.

CarbonZHP
04-12-2016, 12:37 PM
The clutch could possibly still be slipping, but the CDV will cause a delayed reaction to the pedal