PDA

View Full Version : does this sound like a door vapor barrier?

Whitexi
08-30-2011, 03:36 AM
My passenger side front floor is soaked. I realized today that the floor carpet was soaked. Now I do have the rubber mats and that was dry on top so I don't think its my sunroof drain since my a pillar and glove box area is dry. I thought it was the windshield and I was extremely livid and ready to punch safelight in the mouth. But the floor board is dry as is the foam under the carpet, the foam that rests against the cowl that leads up to the windshield is dry also so I think its not the windshield.

Lastly I did remove the passenger front door vapor barrier awile ago so im thinking it was this because just the top of the carpet seems wet. So that would seem to be as if the water ran down the side of the plastic trim onto the carpet correct?

danewilson77
08-30-2011, 05:16 AM
I think your logic is sound.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Whitexi
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Ill check it out once I get home, ill use the hose.

zj96sc
08-30-2011, 12:08 PM
In the Jeep world, this is the telltale sign of a clogged A/C condensation drain.

Whitexi
08-30-2011, 02:49 PM
It was the vapor barrier. I Literately flooded the window with a constant flow of water and this is what I found.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/whitexi/1160999225_photobucket_61018_.jpg

Water should not run from behind the door panel like that. when it does it cant run outside because the door seal stops it and then it ends up running into the car instead.
http://i434.photobucket.com/albums/qq66/whitexi/1160999225_photobucket_61019_.jpg

This pic shows the door panel removed and the lower part of the vapor barrier at the spot it was leaking.

I used a heat gun to reheat the tack so that it will actually stick this time and then also added some extra tack adhesive around the holes where the door panel clips snap in. There is a gasket to seal out water also on them but I wanted to make sure they were good also. I forgot pics of that though.

johnrando
08-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Glad that's solved. Thanks for the info for future reference just in case.

edlvrt
09-06-2011, 08:03 AM
After TS Lee passed through, I found water in my passenger footwell also. I'll check out my vapor barrier as well. Thanks for the tip.

billschusteriv
09-06-2011, 12:03 PM
How did you flood the window with water? Closed window, from the outside?

Whitexi
09-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Window closed, I poured a heavy stream of water from the hose onto the glass. Door was open so I can see where it would leak from. I used a heat gun to reseal the vapor barrier, it helped a lot. I am waiting for rain to see if its finally fixed. I had to re do it again after the post.

llll1l1ll
09-15-2011, 04:21 AM
I need to fix the vapor barrier on my driver's side rear door. Every time it rains hard I gotta break out the paper towels to soak up the water in the carpets. Plus, the area around the door jamb is pretty wet.

Is this about the same difficulty as replacing the window regulator? I have not done that job. I just know that the actual time and process of doing all the work to get there is very involved.

Sorry to hijack thread!

Whitexi
09-19-2011, 01:57 PM
It same steps just about, the door panel needs to be removed and the you will see the vapor barrier. Its the foam sheet covering the door.