PDA

View Full Version : Getting NAV unit out of '05...sheesh

tomjonesrocks
08-30-2011, 01:41 PM
Am trying to install a factory aux cable in an '05 coupe with Nav and just like that my project is completely stopped.

I simply cannot get the NAV unit out of the car. After doing some reading it sounds like you need NAV removal tools--but I can't seem to find a part or link for the tool I need.

Grr...

Anyone know what I need to buy??

Thanks!

Oli77
08-30-2011, 02:10 PM
Having a hard time removing unit or freeing the cable bundle from the back of the unit?

johnrando
08-30-2011, 02:16 PM
There are a bunch of different kits on ebay but I'm not sure what exact one is for our cars, and it's not necessary to buy a whole kit of course. If you have no luck getting the info., I can email the guy who does my audio installs and ask him what he used for my car. IIRC, it is just a slim piece of metal (design for our car of course) that you use to slide in to release the unit, that most (likely all) car stereos have their own version of.

tomjonesrocks
08-31-2011, 12:16 PM
I was having a hard time getting the NAV unit out--haven't even gotten to the cables part yet.

After searching long and hard I think I found the part number I needed and was able to order the part from the dealer. Was like $9 for the release keys.

A lot of people said the Nav slid right out after removing screws and trim pieces and they did not need the release keys--I am not one of those--that thing is in there for me and not coming out.

Sounds like you don't even need to take the deck out to put an Aux-In in if you can get the top vents out--couldn't figure out how to get those out either.

Anyway--thanks anyway--!

johnrando
08-31-2011, 01:11 PM
The top vents are actually pretty easy overall (it's just pulling them out that's scary). After removing the over glove box trim, then the over radio trim, there are two screws at the bottom of the vents. Remove those. Then, it's wrangle time. You just wrangle those vents until they pop out. I used a small flat blade screwdriver (being careful not to scratch anything) to both pry from the edges and pull from the middle. It was very scary as I thought I would break the vent, but it does indeed finally pop out, just when you think you're putting too much force on it and might break it. Then, to reinstall, it pops back in easily.

Chernobyl Prize
08-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Also the vents come out and up, not straight out. They make terrible plastic-breaking noises while coming out which is normal.

johnrando
08-31-2011, 04:04 PM
Also the vents come out and up, not straight out. They make terrible plastic-breaking noises while coming out which is normal.
+1

tomjonesrocks
09-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks to everyone that posted in this thread. I successfully installed the aux cable--but the nav did have to come out--the vents were not helpful for this unit. Maybe the business deck allows access to what you need without taking the deck out but I couldn't get to it.

I wound up ordering the removal keys from the dealer and removing the negative battery terminal while the screen was in the 'up' position. There was just no way I could get the thing out otherwise.

Am glad I went OEM with the aux cable though. It was very well sheilded, had a nice little panel, and in general has a much more clean appearance than I think a hacked up aux cable would have been.

johnrando
09-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Nicely done. Pics please.

Nivo
09-20-2011, 04:43 AM
I used 2 metal women's files lol, pushed the locking tabs in and out it came.

tomjonesrocks
09-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Nicely done. Pics please.

Not a big deal really; and didn't shoot photos throughout the install.

This is how it came out and where I placed this though. Was pleased as mentioned the stock cable reached this far.

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/4170/photoevl.jpg

Powered USB jack beside this is the next project...