PDA

View Full Version : BMW iPod Interface/Spec.Dock Ash Tray Dock Compatibility

mov
09-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi Guys,

I know with all of the pros out there you will have an answer to my question ( I hope!). I just purchased a BMW iPod Interface for my 2001 330ci from the E46fanatics forum. I also came across a Spec.Dock Ash Tray Dock that someone is trying to sell on the same forum. Now that I have the iPod Interface, is it possible to connect the Spec.Dock Ash Tray Dock to the iPod Interface without having to purchase the Dice Module that it usually connects to? Your assistance will be very much appreciated!

Hermes
09-05-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm sure somebody on here might know the answer but from what I can tell from pictures the connection on the spec.dock is the same as the that goes from the cord into the BMW interface. You're gonna want to double check but I think it might work without the Dice.

instructions on the spec.dock: http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product-extras/e46_install.pdf

mov
09-06-2011, 03:36 AM
Yes,

I want to be 100% sure because I'm anticipating purchasing the spec.dock. Thanks for the info!

AProudSailor
09-20-2011, 03:20 AM
My question is, why haven't they started making the dock in colors to match the different interiors? I'm not buying something in pure white, when I'm rocking black alcantara and silver cube..

-1 Sale

danewilson77
09-20-2011, 04:04 AM
My question is, why haven't they started making the dock in colors to match the different interiors? I'm not buying something in pure white, when I'm rocking black alcantara and silver cube..

-1 Sale

Great point.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

AProudSailor
09-20-2011, 10:01 PM
Sucks too, 'cause I want one..

Hint Hint.

dinanm3atl
09-20-2011, 10:54 PM
OP - Which iPod kit do you currently have?

The dock itself is completely and 100% black. The inserts we use are the Apple pieces. They only off them in white. We do this because we want a perfect fitment. No issues. We have had customers paint them if you want it completely black.

Let me know if you have any questions

-Halston
rhp@bavsound.com

AProudSailor
09-21-2011, 08:27 AM
No chance of a building a mold?

dinanm3atl
09-21-2011, 08:32 AM
For the insert? We don't want to copy an Apple product(their dock inserts) because of potential backlash. The other issue is there are a lot of inserts and iPod products out there. Just not possible.

mov
09-21-2011, 08:38 AM
Here's what it looks like when the iPod is in the docking station.

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product/513/0/2point5-specdock-for-BMW-E53-X5---w-DICE-Cable

dinanm3atl
09-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Correct. I personally thing it looks great.

mr hish
09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
you can purchase an auxilary kit that u connect it in the flash light in the glove box and on the other end ur ipod or i phone and it is really cheap . u can find it at esctuning.com

mikeyb74
09-21-2011, 11:42 AM
I don't even notice the dock connector with mine. I plug my iphone 4 into and when not in use I close the trap door.

Dugan.REC
09-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Is there a way to change the apple connector that's in the dash tray to allow using multiple models of ipods without completely changing out the ashtray holder? Also, can anyone comment on the various DICE models - I'm looking to pick one up, and want to get one second-hand, but am wondering what the new DICE models have to offer with updated gadgets (i.e. iPhone 4/5 vs original iPod) Thanks guys

Ryan

dinanm3atl
09-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Get the newest as they have always been improving. Duo or MediaBridge. Grab a cable from CableJive. They make a 'dock extension cable' and you can plug that into the dock and use other devices.

das boots
10-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Reviving a little bit on this. Did our E46 ZHP come IPOD ready? I'm asking this because I have an IPOD docking inside my glove compartment and it works. Just wondering.....

johnrando
10-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Reviving a little bit on this. Did our E46 ZHP come IPOD ready? I'm asking this because I have an IPOD docking inside my glove compartment and it works. Just wondering.....

It did not, that's added.

das boots
10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks. At least I got an extra....

das boots
01-31-2012, 08:06 PM
A follow-up. I finally found out that the iPod docking I found in my glove compartment is a BMW factory install. I was going through the leatherbound manual that came with the car. There was a manual on iPod use. Confirmed with dealer that it was a factory install.

johnrando
01-31-2012, 09:15 PM
What do you mean "factory install"? That might be "dealer installed", but not factory. Plus, you are talking ipod cable and not AUX, right? I am not aware of factory installed ipod capability on E46s, especially for '01s, but there's a first for everything.

das boots
02-01-2012, 07:20 AM
Not dealer install. Real factory install......Yes...iPod cable not AUX. And this is for a '05. Even me..I was surprised thunking it was aftermarket. They did run the VIN. And sure enough, it was there. BMW iPod installed. Dunno if BMW randomly install iPod at the factory as a accessory option.....

johnrando
02-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Not dealer install. Real factory install......Yes...iPod cable not AUX. And this is for a '05. Even me..I was surprised thunking it was aftermarket. They did run the VIN. And sure enough, it was there. BMW iPod installed. Dunno if BMW randomly install iPod at the factory as a accessory option.....

Wow. I never once heard of that. Makes more sense for an '05, thought you had an '01. That's cool!

das boots
02-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Like what you said..there is always a first for everything. I am still feeling my way on how to use the iPod with the factory instructions. But basic for now is playing my songs and fast forwarding the tracks. Evidently, there are still more features than this.....