PDA

View Full Version : Strange Rear Light Out Check Situation

llll1l1ll
09-07-2011, 04:09 AM
Hey All,

Lately, my ZHP has this new thing where it illuminates the check panel for a right rear light. Then I turn the lights on (either to parking or to full) and it goes out. Regardless of lights on/off, all the lights work.

Now, in my E30, if the brake light check came on but all lights worked, that means someone installed a bulb with the wrong kind of metal on the connector which was tripping the circuit. However, I just read that BMW is recalling the tail lamps on these cars due to some sort of faulty wiring.

Mafia, do you think that I need a new light switch, a new light bulb, or that this is part of the recall situation?

Thanks,
Pete

bimmeryota
09-07-2011, 04:27 AM
I believe this is addressed in BMW service bulletin SI B 63 03 06

The cause is likely an insufficient ground for the tail lights giving a false reading to the computer. The fix I did was to add a ground wire to better ground it and I haven't had the problem since and actually noticed the rear lights get brighter afterwards. If it is not addressed, my understanding is that the wiring would melt.

this thread on e46f might be helpful: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=533309

HokieZHP
09-07-2011, 05:10 AM
This same thing has been happening in my car as well. Every time I turn on the car the left rear bulb out light comes on. I tried re-soldering the ground and it worked for a week then it started happening again so I've just been driving around with the light on trying to ignore it.

llll1l1ll
09-07-2011, 05:37 AM
That's an excellent write-up, bimmeryota; however, my wiring and electrician skills are lacking. Severely. Plus, I do not have a soldering iron.

It seems, though, that I can just take some 14 ga. wire, splice into the brown wire going into the plug and then connect it to a "grounding piece." I do not know where that would be.

billschusteriv
09-07-2011, 06:00 AM
Hey All,

Lately, my ZHP has this new thing where it illuminates the check panel for a right rear light. Then I turn the lights on (either to parking or to full) and it goes out. Regardless of lights on/off, all the lights work.

Now, in my E30, if the brake light check came on but all lights worked, that means someone installed a bulb with the wrong kind of metal on the connector which was tripping the circuit. However, I just read that BMW is recalling the tail lamps on these cars due to some sort of faulty wiring.

Mafia, do you think that I need a new light switch, a new light bulb, or that this is part of the recall situation?

Thanks,
Pete

Your car might be part of the recall. You could ask MikeyB74. He let me know my car was not part of hte recall.

I've noticed this problem in my right front turn signal. If the bulb is close to failing, it will dim (not blow out) and cause this light to come in. I assume it could be an issue with bulb type or connector that's causing this, but haven't been able to troubleshoot and confirm.

You could try replacing the bulbs and using some bulb grease.

llll1l1ll
09-07-2011, 06:17 AM
Yeah, it's pretty rainy out today, so I don't really wanna be standing in it fiddling with carpet. However, I'd like to at least take a peek at the connectors to see what's up. It could be that my car is part of the recall. On the other hand, it could just be a crap bulb.

On a side note, how did Mikey inform you of this? I reckon I could shoot him a PM and see what he says.

bimmeryota
09-07-2011, 06:32 AM
Soldering would probably be best but if you wrap that wire tightly enough around the primary ground and use a heat shrink tape it should be fine. An indy shop could probably do it for you also.

I haven't heard of it on the front lights. I'll have to have my vin# run to see if I'm part of any recall. I haven't had any recall work done on my car yet.

llll1l1ll
09-07-2011, 06:33 AM
I may have an indy shop take care of this for me if all else fails. I really don't trust myself with wiring. It'd be nice if I were part of the recall, though.

az3579
09-07-2011, 10:58 AM
I may have an indy shop take care of this for me if all else fails. I really don't trust myself with wiring. It'd be nice if I were part of the recall, though.

You have a ZHP, so you are covered under the recall.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

llll1l1ll
09-07-2011, 11:02 AM
I may just wait for that then, so long as it is sent to me.