PDA

View Full Version : 60K Mile Coolant Service Thoughts

kayger12
09-09-2011, 10:37 AM
Just got done doing some preventative maintenance: belts, pulleys, thermostat, and water pump.

First cooling system work I've done to the ZHP. Easy as pie thanks to the fact that I've opted to go with the Old School Maint schedule and put the expansion tank and hoses off for a while.

There's always been a lot of discussion about how much of the preventative maintenance on these cars (especially the coolant system) is necessary, and how much is the result of the marketing fear factor.

Here are my thoughts based on what I changed out today at 57,498 miles:

SERPENTINE BELT
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-09-09_13-45-20_670.jpg

Decent amount of splitting and cracking, so definitely was ready to be changed out.

AC BELT
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-09-09_13-45-49_111.jpg

This belt was in much better shape, and showed no cracking or wear which would make me think it was in imminent risk of failure any time soon.

PULLEYS

I tried to get a video of this, but it didn't work out resolution-wise. The idler and tensioner pulley for the serp belt were pretty much free spinning. In addition, if you gave them a shake, you could hear that the bearings were worn. Definitely glad that they are now changed out.

With respect to the water pump pulley, it was seized on the water pump slightly, and when I gave just the slightest bit of pressure with a screw driver to attempt to pry it off, here's what I got:
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-09-09_13-46-47_9.jpg
See the cracked off plastic around the back edge of the pulley? Pretty damn brittle. Glad I replaced this, but not glad that I couldn't get my hands on a stock-size aluminum one.

WATER PUMP:
http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff401/Kayger12/2011-09-09_13-46-17_478.jpg

The water pump looked to be in good shape. The impeller looked strong with no cracks nor abnormal/unusual wear. It seemed to be "tight" with respect to any play in the pump. I would think that this pump would have lasted a pretty good amount of time longer. :dunno

THERMOSTAT
The thermostat had some built up, dried out coolant in the area outside the seal, but other than that looked good. No cracks or anything abnormal that I noticed in the housing.

The only hang up I had with the whole project was that I ordered the wrong tensioner pulley for the AC belt, so I have to get my hands on the right one and throw that in.

So all in all, most of what I changed out preventatively seemed to be warranted, while some (such as the water pump and thermostat) I feel were more of an insurance thing.

Now we'll see if my expansion tank and coolant hoses make it to 90k...

telijah
09-09-2011, 10:49 AM
I think 70k is right around where most tanks began to fail. However, I would at least go ahead and buy the tank, as just about everyone one of them seems to fail sooner or later.

kayger12
09-09-2011, 10:59 AM
I think 70k is right around where most tanks began to fail. However, I would at least go ahead and buy the tank, as just about everyone one of them seems to fail sooner or later.

Good advice. I'll order one up when I order the pulley I need and then keep my fingers crossed and try to make 90k.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I agree on the expansion tank. That's historically been one of the weakest things on my BMWs (7 of them). Something about those expansion tanks. It's typically a hairline fracture that does it in.

ranger
09-09-2011, 04:27 PM
I did a full cooling upgrade on my former 2005 BMW 325 EXCEPT the expansion tank at 100k. Expansion tank failed a month later. I would definitely change the expansion tank at the first opportunity.

BCS_ZHP
09-09-2011, 08:05 PM
Kayger,
Was told this by a BMW tech -- on the expansion tank, when the coolant level "thermometer" changes color it's getting ready to fail. That level indicator is normally dark red but will fade to a medium or light red and even a pink, must change it at that point.

kayger12
09-10-2011, 04:57 AM
Kayger,
Was told this by a BMW tech -- on the expansion tank, when the coolant level "thermometer" changes color it's getting ready to fail. That level indicator is normally dark red but will fade to a medium or light red and even a pink, must change it at that point.

Good info, Bruce.

Thanks!

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

aurelius
09-10-2011, 07:23 AM
For your shopping pleasure, ECS Tuning (http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Cooling/Expansion_Tank/) sells a Meyle tank for $50 and the Genuine BMW version for $76.

You might also consider the updated coolant level sensor, part number for which is 17137553919. The update (redesign?) happened 2 years ago and applies to current BMW & Mini models, as well as past models back to E39. Draw your own conclusions but I bet BMW had a few pricey warranty claims related to this.

Some recommend also buying the clip for the level sensor, which often breaks when removing the original.

danewilson77
09-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Good lookin out.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
09-10-2011, 07:51 AM
For your shopping pleasure, ECS Tuning (http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Cooling/Expansion_Tank/) sells a Meyle tank for $50 and the Genuine BMW version for $76.

You might also consider the updated coolant level sensor, part number for which is 17137553919. The update (redesign?) happened 2 years ago and applies to current BMW & Mini models, as well as past models back to E39. Draw your own conclusions but I bet BMW had a few pricey warranty claims related to this.

Some recommend also buying the clip for the level sensor, which often breaks when removing the original.

That's great info.

Appreciate it.

das boots
10-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread. But I am in the middle of removing parts on my cooling system. I was trying to remove the temp sensor. It won't budge. Now,I will have no choice but to buy a new sensor. Are sensord that difficult to remove? I know they have this two side clips. But it is in so tight. I also found out I need more parts as I was doing my disassembly. I also need to replace the air intake foam seal (looks like a worn down sponge) hugging the heald lights. What a cheapy seal.

danewilson77
10-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread. But I am in the middle of removing parts on my cooling system. I was trying to remove the temp sensor. It won't budge. Now,I will have no choice but to buy a new sensor. Are sensord that difficult to remove? I know they have this two side clips. But it is in so tight. I also found out I need more parts as I was doing my disassembly. I also need to replace the air intake foam seal (looks like a worn down sponge) hugging the heald lights. What a cheapy seal.

I don't think you will be buying "cheapy foamy seal"

Your prob with the temp sensor is normal.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
The foamy seal just crumbled on my hands. Completely deteriorated.

danewilson77
10-06-2011, 06:16 PM
I think you need to buy entire air channel....even if you can get that separate.

It's not a huge deal though...just so you know.

I think you'll need to buy a new piece 11, and hopefully it should come with foam, as its glued to the channel.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=13_0906&hg=13&fg=20

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-06-2011, 06:55 PM
That's what it looks like. Thanks.

ryrules1
10-08-2011, 02:04 PM
Kind of worried about my coolant system after reading this. Car has 73k on it, coolant stick is more pink then red. Should I spring for the ECS maintenance kit Level 2? I feel some of this is overkill? To be honest, I want to spend as little as possible after just buying the car and doing a bunch of other odds and ends (read: ramps, jack, oil & filter, diff & trans, spark plugs). Girlfriend is also getting a little pissed about not going out to dinner because of "car maintenance" I figure these are the must haves:

Expansion tank.
ECS aluminum water pump pulley.
Water pump.
AC belt.
Serpentine belt.
Fan switch.
Thermostat & housing gasket
Coolant (obviously)
Idler pulley
Tensioner pulley
lower Temp. sensor

is there anything I am forgetting and is this other stuff really necessary?

Sealing gaskets
Upper & lower radiator hoses
Radiator drain plug
Coolant level sensor
Level sensor clip

ryrules1
10-08-2011, 02:24 PM
http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu189/ryrules125/330ci%20zhp/ScreenShot2011-10-08at32239PM.png
Also added Coolant to this. Someone stop me before I order this and miss something important.

aurelius
10-08-2011, 02:27 PM
The new water pump should come with a new gasket.

I'd add temp sensor for lower hose to your list.

If you have a ZHP, you likely have a hydraulic belt tensioner but you would want to verify that prior to buying the pulley. We were discussing that within another maintenance thread recently. Ask if you need more info.

If you have an automatic trans., there are 2 add'l items worth replacing. Each can cause cooling system failure. One is the transmission coolant temp sensor and the other is the mechanical fan clutch.

ryrules1
10-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Luckily I have a 6MT, I will check into the belt tensioner and add a temp sensor to the list. Is the fan switch necessary? Can I visually see the tensioner without taking off the front bumper?

aurelius
10-08-2011, 02:41 PM
Mechanical fan clutch only for E46 with auto trans.

Yes, with a manual trans and its elect engine fan, you can see down below the upper coolant hose and determine which tensioner you have. Shoot a pic down in front of the hose and post here if you're in doubt.

ryrules1
10-08-2011, 03:20 PM
seems like I have the hydraulic pulley here is the shot:

http://i646.photobucket.com/albums/uu189/ryrules125/2011-10-08155849.jpg

aurelius
10-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Hydraulic. That pulley in your list is the one you need.

Edit: be sure to reuse the dust caps on the pulleys. IIRC, the new pulleys don't come with new caps.

ryrules1
10-08-2011, 03:30 PM
S**t you are correct, I didn't know what I was looking for at first. Thanks for the help, would have sucked to order the wrong one.

aurelius
10-08-2011, 03:41 PM
To clarify, the pulleys are of course mechanical. It's the actual tensioner that can be either mechanical or hydraulic on the E46.

The hydraulic version is said to last much longer. And those with the mechanical tensioner can convert to hydraulic. Requires about a hundred bucks in parts.

ryrules1
10-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Yeah, didn't understand that at first, but after looking at a diagram on real OEM I understood.

kayger12
10-08-2011, 04:32 PM
IIRC, the new pulleys don't come with new caps.

Correct, sir.

I ordered new caps when I did mine.

aurelius
10-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Someone stop me before I order this and miss something important.

Cap for expansion tank? It's made to relieve pressure at a certain PSI. And if it doesn't do so, the weakest link elsewhere in the cooling chain can break. FWIW, ECS includes that in their Level 1 kit.

Also, check out your heater. If you have warm air blowing out of the lower vents and cool air from the dash vents, or some such erratic combo, replace your water/heater valve (64 11 8 369 805). Good DIY HERE (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=617301).

llll1l1ll
10-17-2011, 03:51 AM
I thought that was the case with my car (cold air out of the dash vents). Turns out I just had to move that slider switch in the middle of the dash from cold to hot.

ryrules1
10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
I never understood test slide, what is its purpose exactly?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

MrMaico
10-29-2011, 09:20 AM
I never understood test slide, what is its purpose exactly?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the rotary dial between the two center dash vents? I use mine to have a little cooler/fresh air to my face while having the heat blowing on my feet. Works great!