PDA

View Full Version : VANOS rattle

nk_zhp
12-16-2010, 10:41 AM
Folks, I had my rattle disappear on me. I don't know where it went but in the summer my car clearly had it at 2K rpm. Now, I can't hear it. The sounds went away while I had the same oil in the car so that can't be it, and it did not come back after I put in fresh oil into it.

Wondering if anyone else had the same experience. If it sways silent I might hold off doing the beisan upgrade.

Mike V
12-16-2010, 10:59 AM
That's weird.

You've probably already heard it a thousand times from others, but I did the zhp Beisan upgrade this past summer and the rattle went away.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence but could it be that you don't hear it because your windows might be up now with the colder weather?

nk_zhp
12-16-2010, 11:01 AM
I was planning to do it next summer, but now, I am going to wait and see. That car just hit 50K so the seals are probably still ok so if there is no sounds I feel like there is even less reason to do it.

jjcools
12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I just bought the kit for the seals but didn't get the rattle fix cause my cause does not have it at 100k miles. I hope I don't regret it. It just made me nervous doing that with the extra possibility of having to sand the parts to make sure the fit is exact.

adb1028
12-16-2010, 04:16 PM
Will the seals kit eliminate rattle? Or do you NEED the bearing upgrade to rid of it completely?

I have the rattle on my 2003 with 58k. It's pretty loud around 2k also

danewilson77
12-16-2010, 04:27 PM
I was under the impression that the anti-rattle kit would take care of the rattle.

Prolly talks about it more here.

www.beisansystems.com

I think there is a forum over there that you can ask this question to...

nk_zhp
12-16-2010, 04:40 PM
You NEED the modified bearing, which are in essence rings. The seals are simply going to improve the piston operation which in turn is going to improve power delivery. The rattle itself has nothing to do with the seals.

danewilson77
12-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Yeah....i dont think hes talking about that....

danewilson77
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
You need this, and this....

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/bs002_large.jpg

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/bs001_large.jpg

http://www.beisansystems.com/products.html

az3579
12-16-2010, 07:05 PM
Definitely do both. If you're going through the trouble to do the seals, you might as well do the rings as well. It's not too many extra steps, and it's probably going to be well worth it for many many miles to come.

kayger12
12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Definitely do both. If you're going through the trouble to do the seals, you might as well do the rings as well. It's not too many extra steps, and it's probably going to be well worth it for many many miles to come.

Agreed. It would suck to button her back up and then get the rattle a few months later...

danewilson77
12-16-2010, 08:34 PM
I've done VANOS 5 times and never done the anti-rattle kit. Fricken rebel I tell ya....

nk_zhp
12-16-2010, 08:39 PM
By the way Dr. Vanos might be a good alternative for people that don't want to get into piston dismantling and/or sanding.

az3579
12-17-2010, 03:07 AM
By the way Dr. Vanos might be a good alternative for people that don't want to get into piston dismantling and/or sanding.

Don't know where you guys are getting this sanding thing from. I've had it done on my other car and no sanding was required... why would sanding be required on the E46?

nk_zhp
12-17-2010, 06:38 AM
It's only required if the inner roller bearing are too loose or too tight. If you look at the DIY step on their site you will see this optional step. From what I gather for most people the bearing are a perfect fit out of the box.

jjcools
12-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Damn, maybe I should do both then!!! I just ordered the seals, shipped out same day, great service. Now I am going to have to read that whole thread over to make sure I am clear. Stupid Vanos.
How often do the new seals need to be replaced?

danewilson77
12-17-2010, 07:48 AM
Don't know where you guys are getting this sanding thing from. I've had it done on my other car and no sanding was required... why would sanding be required on the E46?

From....http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/double_vanos_rattle_procedure.htm

Bearing loosening adjustment.
If splined shaft binds and cannot be rotated then axial fit it too tight and loosening adjustment is needed.
Disassemble piston bearing per above procedure.
Place sandpaper (~400 grade) on flat table top. Place bearing center washer on sandpaper.
Slide washer side to side on sandpaper ~6” back and forth while moderately pressing washer on sandpaper. Perform sanding for 10 seconds.
Rotate washer 90 degrees and repeat sanding process.
Flip washer to opposite side and repeat above sanding procedure; 10 seconds sanding, rotate 90 degrees, 10 seconds sanding.
Clean washer (brake cleaner & towels).
Reassemble piston bearing per above procedure and reassess bearing axial fit.
Note: Washer is made from hardened steel and does not easily wear. Sanding procedure will remove ~.005mm washer height. Washer might need max .015mm height adjustment.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/image028.jpg

Bearing tightening adjustment.
If splined shaft has any tilt movement then axial play is present and tightening adjustment is needed.
Disassemble piston bearing per above procedure.
Place sandpaper (~400 grade) on flat table top. Place bearing ring on sandpaper.
Slide ring side to side on sandpaper ~6” back and forth while moderately pressing ring on sandpaper. Perform sanding for 10 seconds.Rotate ring 90 degrees and repeat sanding process.
Flip ring to opposite side and repeat above sanding procedure; 10 seconds sanding, rotate 90 degrees, 10 seconds sanding.
Clean ring (brake cleaner & towels).
Reassemble piston bearing per above procedure and reassess bearing axial fit.
Note: Ring is made from hardened steel and does not easily wear. Sanding procedure will remove ~.005mm ring height. Ring might need max .015mm height adjustment.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/Maintenance%20and%20Misc/image029.jpg