PDA

View Full Version : Need help. My USA Spec install went wrong.

1/2past3ci
09-12-2011, 06:01 PM
So I installed my USA spec yesterday. All went well I thought. I've installed Dice products in 2 different cars so I figured this would be a breeze. After the install, I plugged my iPhone in and had it playing my playlists, and pandora radio with everything working perfectly. I shut it all down and went to work on some other projects I had going. About 3 hours later, I got in the car and noticed first that even after I had put my seatbelt on, the light was still lit on the dash. Then I tried to open the moonroof and it did nothing. Then the blinkers didn't work. I checked all the fuses and everything looked fine so I unplugged the 3&6 pin connections for the USA spec and everything came back.
Tonight, I tried the install again. Took the head unit completely out, disconnected the battery, plugged in the 3&6 pin connections, hooked the battery back up, head unit back in and the headunit does not recognize anything other than radio and cd. Nothing for the cd changer.
What the hell happened? Help!!!!

Wes
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC4ME
09-12-2011, 08:18 PM
no clue what you have going on, but I do feel for you having to figure that mess out.

Hermes
09-12-2011, 08:42 PM
you might wanna look at this thread and see if that helps at all

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2702-Dice-Mediabridge-vs-USA-Spec&highlight=dice

zj96sc
09-13-2011, 09:42 AM
I think you may have a potential k-bus short problem. When you say the blinkers weren't working, were the indicators in the gauge cluster not lighting up while the actual blinkers worked? Or did they not work at all.

1/2past3ci
09-13-2011, 11:54 AM
The blinkers did nothing both inside the car and out. When I pressed the stalk up or down literally nothing happened. I tried to re-install the USA spec today and again had no luck. After a little inspection, I found that the little motherboard that holds the 3 and 6 pin connectors for the cd changer had a small area that looked burnt. In fact the tape over that part of the motherboard was scorched and smelled like a fried electronic. I contacted USA spec and ordered another cable. I'm hoping that I can just replace the cable, go through the normal installation process again and have it work.

zj96sc
09-13-2011, 12:10 PM
Hmm, maybe not k-bus then. Usually when something is shorting out the k-bus, the blinkers outside will work but no indicators.

Sounds like you might have located the problem. Definitely post up to close the loop here if this did sort it out.

1/2past3ci
09-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Emailed USA spec tech support and they gave me the part number for a new cable and had me call customer service to order it. I received it yesterday and now my system is back up and running. The first time around, I didn't disconnect the battery, only the head unit. I guess that's what fried my first cable.

Wes
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC4ME
10-02-2011, 01:47 PM
Nice follow-up and a great warning for others about to go down that road.