PDA

View Full Version : Air compressor advise

Alphatek45
12-16-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm looking for an air compressor for my garage. Mostly for Tire pressure maintenance and basic air tools. Dont need anything crazy but I want something that will last. Id consider running a 220V line if absolutely necessary.

I have my eyes on this one.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916472000P?mv=rr

any thoughts?

danewilson77
12-16-2010, 04:28 PM
^I think I like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

bimmer848
12-16-2010, 04:42 PM
very cool, but overkill for what you need. i have a 15 gal 1.5hp oil free craftsman and use it for tire pressure, impact gun for wheel swaps, air dart for detailing interior and used it for air nail/trim gun to put in wood trim through the house. may turn on a few more times with less capacity, but less $$ and less space taken up. no 220 needed, though did give it a dedicated breaker in the box. if neither $$ or space is an issue for you, than go for it!

danewilson77
12-16-2010, 04:48 PM
He might have an 8 car garage?

Alphatek45
12-16-2010, 04:58 PM
He might have an 8 car garage?

I wish. It was recommended by a mechanic that ive known forever. Its probably is a bit much for me but Id rather have the extra umph and not need it. I'm sure once this thing is in my garage i will find more uses for it than I'm aware of now.
My main concern was that it wasn't missing something specific, or maybe some one knows of a way better deal. I'm good on space, and that model is 120 VAC so its plug and play.
I ask because I truly value your opinions. Thanks for the input, fellas. Probably grabbing it Saturday so if anyone else has an opinion, please chime in!

danewilson77
12-16-2010, 05:46 PM
I think if your mechanic buddy recommended....I say go for it.

Alphatek45
12-19-2010, 06:33 AM
Got it, love it. Take a peek at this "shut down" procedure. I cant imagine that anyone does this. Is this overkill or what?

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_8cRun6OQYJg/TQ4Wl7uFknI/AAAAAAAABJ0/VLCyisUpVuE/s720/002.jpg

Open the petcock after each use? I know you have to periodically bleed off and condensation, but each time? Sounds like Craftsman CYA if you ask me.

Any opinions?

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 06:49 AM
I have heard of doinmg it periodically....but after use? But, when you think about it.......its only opening one valve. Can't be that difficult....but I spose your emptying the compressed air when you do this....

Alphatek45
12-19-2010, 07:05 AM
Exactly, then then next day to use it again it has to run for a while to fill up. Not a huge deal but seems far fetched.

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Yeah...prolly pretty unrealistic...

mimalmo
12-19-2010, 07:21 AM
Actually, I know guys that do this each time. Longevity of the compressor and safety is why.

ZSP-Mafia
12-19-2010, 10:34 AM
I always drain my compressor at the end of every workday. The cold compressed air builds up condensation and can cause damage. The compressor you posted is completely overkill as others have said, but that's certainly not a bad thing. I have a porter cable 150psi that I run all day/ everyday, with multiple tools hooked up and it has no problem keeping up.

Edit: NM, just saw you already bought it... Enjoy :)

I'm not sure if it says anything in your manual about a "break-in", but before you use it, it's good to open the release valve and just let the compressor run air through the tanks for about 10 minutes.

pyreguy
12-19-2010, 07:15 PM
My dad always empties his after each use, and so I do it the same way like a good son.

Alphatek45
12-19-2010, 07:17 PM
I always drain my compressor at the end of every workday. The cold compressed air builds up condensation and can cause damage. The compressor you posted is completely overkill as others have said, but that's certainly not a bad thing. I have a porter cable 150psi that I run all day/ everyday, with multiple tools hooked up and it has no problem keeping up.

Edit: NM, just saw you already bought it... Enjoy :)

I'm not sure if it says anything in your manual about a "break-in", but before you use it, it's good to open the release valve and just let the compressor run air through the tanks for about 10 minutes.

Yeah, manual suggested 30 min. That's what I did. Also decided to dump at the lower valve after each use, close and refill at the next.