PDA

View Full Version : Stoptech Street Performance Pads stop more than just my car!

Rovert
09-14-2011, 06:10 PM
:admin

After doing research online I decided to go with StopTech Street Performance pads. Driving with them right after installation was a bit sketchy but that feeling disappeared with a few miles of use. Now after 600 miles I'm proud to say that these pads stop like my OEM pads.

:like

There's no noise from the pads at all and as I say, they stop more than just my car. They stop me from cursing at OEM pad dust, stop me from cleaning my car every 3 days, and stop me to look back a second, third, or fourth time as I walk away from my car. :blushing

I got a chance to bed the brakes after driving 400 miles and after 10+ repeated stops from 60MPH the pads just kept taking the punishment without complaining. There was no brake fade or noise as the rotors heated up to high levels. The only thing that made me aware of working the brakes like I did was a slight smell of brake pad material when I made a U turn at walking pace. I made sure that the car didn't stop for 15-25 minutes after the bedding to slowly cool off and everything is perfect now.

Even after washing the wheels, it would take my rotors a few revolutions to get max OEM pad stopping power at a cold soaking wet temperature. With these new pads I don't even notice that even when everything is cold and wet.

Here are a few pictures I took after the 400 miles:

That's it! after a thumb wipe of one spoke:
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/3571/img6527v.jpg

The dust is kind of orange/pink which blends in with lighter painted wheels than dark OEM dust:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/3286/img6526n.jpg

But when the sun isn't shining on them directly from sunset level, you'd have to be a couple feet away to notice the wheels were getting a bit dusted:
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/3171/img6524o.jpg

When shopping for pads you'll have to find your own balance of - more dust:less dust; more noise:less noise; hotter optimum temps:colder optimum temps; more rotor wear;less rotor wear.

So far these Stoptech pads are a great balance of "street performance" driving as they are named. They work totally fine in cold summer temps which I will learn more when the winter drive the temps down below 32F. A lot of 330 drivers have experienced the "no brakes" when the brakes haven't been used in miles on a rainy day on the highway. I feel that these pads will turn those scary memories into history. Have fun searching for YOUR ideal brake pad and I hope that this review helps in decision making for the future. :cheers

Gheybe
09-14-2011, 07:22 PM
ill be getting these next.

Smilez
09-14-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm running stoptech and love them. And the pricing on them are pretty Damn good.

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 05:40 AM
The Stop Techs you sent me Ray were dusty pads bro. Which ones are these.

Nice writeup Trevor. Always a pleasure.

Smilez
09-15-2011, 07:12 AM
The Stop Techs you sent me Ray were dusty pads bro. Which ones are these.

Nice writeup Trevor. Always a pleasure.

stoptech street performance. his wheels must have some dust repellent. I get a good amount of dust myself. But when you compare to OEM its a difference :rofl:

Oli77
09-15-2011, 07:31 AM
I like me them stoptech street performance (Thanks Ray).

The initial bite that was on OEM is not there though (after >2000 miles).

I do agree with RoverT and Smilez that the dust is significantly less than OEM.

Rovert
09-15-2011, 08:45 AM
I have "Wheel Wax" on my wheels. I don't know if that helps. But I only apply it once a year and that's when my winter setup is mounted.

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 08:51 AM
I have "Wheel Wax" on my wheels. I don't know if that helps. But I only apply it once a year and that's when my winter setup is mounted.

Not to take anything away from the pad...but that's probably a huge reason why the dust is low.

Smilez
09-15-2011, 08:56 AM
+1 one.

i need to go buy me some wheel wax.

Rovert
09-15-2011, 09:18 AM
I guess my experience is still relative and the same as your situations with or without protection. OEM pads are still significantly darker and nastier than StopTechs...haha. It's been a full week now of not washing & driving through construction site and I can see some build up of dirt/tar on the wheels. The dust is a brownish/orange color now!

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 10:45 AM
True that Trevor!

Gheybe
09-15-2011, 10:50 AM
How does it perform compared to OEM?

Take dust out of the equation. I want braking power.

Rovert
09-15-2011, 11:12 AM
I kept pounding the brakes from 60MPH over 10 times and there was no sign of fade. Every brake I could hold at threshold of ABS turning on. Never did I lose feeling during those 10 plus slowdowns. And the smell was so little compared to OEM pads doing the same thing. :D

Ryans323i
09-16-2011, 06:46 AM
I'm running StopTech Street Performance pads too. (I got mine from Ray (Smilez) too. Great price.)

After instillation I immediately bedded them in following the procedure StopTech has on their website. Herehttp://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_bedinstock.shtml I did three sets. Nearing the end of the 3rd set, I started to notice slight brake fade. I've never had brake fade since.

I have black wheels so it's not a huge deal, but these pads are dusty IMO. I get a lot more brake dust than Trevor does, so obviously the wheel wax he's using is helping a ton. I've never had OE brakes on my car, so I can't compare the two. My dust is also a red/brown color.

I use the pads in combination w/ slotted/drilled rotors, Super Blue Racing brake fluid (Got these from Ray too, excellent prices!!), SS brake lines and a four point BBK. All these combined have given me the best braking power I've ever had. They literally save the front end of my car, after someone pulled out 6 feet in front of me while I was going 35mph. I was able to stop immediately. If I had my old brakes, I would have t-boned the car for sure. I also take trips to Mexico for spirited driving in the mountains and have never experienced brake fade (since the initial bedding process, and even that was minimal) or pulsing/shimmying in the pedal or steering wheel.

MasterC17
09-17-2011, 05:35 AM
MOT (Maximum Operating Temperature) on the Stoptech pads is 1300f - which is VERY high for a street pad. OEM is somewhere around 800/900f. Braking power is similar, but with the Stoptech's I've experienced NO fade at all, ever. They make a great street/track pad IMO.

static667
09-17-2011, 06:10 AM
Great write up, Trevor. I'll be pricing up some Stop Techs when it comes around time for pads.

Sent from my rooted Fascinate using Tapatalk.

Pip
11-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Paging Ray for pads and rotors (front). Sent a PM, but does anyone know the best way to get ahold of him?

danewilson77
11-30-2012, 05:59 PM
FaceBook?

Or

http://www.brakeyourself.com/o/index.php

quikryptonite
10-13-2014, 09:41 AM
Any update on how these pads perform in winter, street driving conditions? I'm really considering getting some from Ray. Just want to make sure they are good to go in the snow/freezing temps too.

Rovert
10-13-2014, 09:58 AM
They seemed fine for me in the winter when it snowed. The compound had plenty of friction when cold as well as handling repeated stops from 60mph-10mph. My dad has Akenonos on his 540i and they are similar but his car feels a little less bite but still can engage ABS no problem. It could be I'm so used to a lighter 3 series vs a heavier 5 series. I'll for sure get them for my current car when I need a brake change.

JupiterBMW
10-13-2014, 10:31 AM
I too love the StopTech pads. They would be my first choice for the X5M if they were offered in the right fitment. That being said, I'm trying to find someone that can verify Akebono has them for my application...

Oli77
10-13-2014, 04:37 PM
No problem whatsoever in the cold, snow and ice with those Stoptechs.Think I have 20 K miles on them and they are as good as ever.

JupiterBMW
10-13-2014, 06:46 PM
This thread reminded me I need to PM Ray... So I did, but his PM box is full...

RAY!!! Clean out your PMs dude! :thumbsup

JupiterBMW
10-13-2014, 06:47 PM
This thread reminded me I need to PM Ray... So I did, but his PM box is full...

RAY!!! Clean out your PMs dude! :thumbsup

danewilson77
10-14-2014, 06:35 AM
I messaged him on FB.

Smilez
10-14-2014, 07:02 AM
sorry guys. all cleaned up.

Vas
03-21-2016, 05:47 AM
How is the initial bite and pedal feel with these?

Also did stoptech revise them?

Tirerack lists it as a NEW Item

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=StopTech&model=Street+Pads&group=Street+Pads&partNum=ST308.09460&autoMake=BMW&autoModel=330i+Sedan&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=Performance+Package

Rovert
03-21-2016, 06:20 AM
Can't tell you anymore. That was on my former car. If it's a new item maybe the friction material was updated. From what I remember initial bite felt adequate and pedal feel was great. It's not the same cold bite as OEM but more linear and easier to modulate in city driving.

Vas
03-21-2016, 06:35 AM
Can't tell you anymore. That was on my former car. If it's a new item maybe the friction material was updated. From what I remember initial bite felt adequate and pedal feel was great. It's not the same cold bite as OEM but more linear and easier to modulate in city driving.

Thanks.

The price point of them is great which is why I asked. I think I am going to try them out when they become available.

Rovert
03-21-2016, 07:32 AM
I need to find what I have on my M right now. It mustn't be OEM because the brake dust is hardly anything after a few days of driving. I love the bite and the pedal feel. The dust isn't black or orange...it's just like a fine dirt/dust that you usually see on the side skirts.

ELCID86
03-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Thanks.

The price point of them is great which is why I asked. I think I am going to try them out when they become available.

What's the difference between them and the ones you put on Sketchi?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous

Vas
03-21-2016, 05:03 PM
What's the difference between them and the ones you put on Sketchi?

---
"ZHP is a garbage option anyway- just some cosmetic upgrades with a different cam and diff to claw back some of the performance lost fitting those hideous and heavy wheels. Any 330 with a 3.46 diff will smoke a ZHP every time. The whole Mafia thing reeks of childish behavior." - anonymous
I have not done anything to the brakes on Sketchi. Looking to overhaul them since they dust and make noise. Plus feel awful.

At $50 for a set of pads, I am going to try them out.

ELCID86
03-21-2016, 05:22 PM
I have not done anything to the brakes on Sketchi. Looking to overhaul them since they dust and make noise. Plus feel awful.

At $50 for a set of pads, I am going to try them out.

Oh yeah. I guess it Was Daniel... I need new front pads that aren't so dusty.

---

NoVAphotog
03-21-2016, 08:11 PM
Oh yeah. I guess it Was Daniel... I need new front pads that aren't so dusty.

---

The Hawk pads I put on are awesome at stopping the car compared to the shit posi-quiets I had before. However they are the exact opposite in terms of noise and dust as well. In just driving home from your house Shawn and the bedding in the wheel was covered. Plus I get looks with the squealin'

I don't mind though it's such a refreshing change (for now) to have the car actually stop immediately. I guess I'll be searching for ones in the middle after our track day to swap back to.

Sent from my iPhone 6S using Tapatalk

Bimmernate
03-21-2016, 08:59 PM
I have had front stoptech pads for about 3 years now, and just put in rears about 2 months ago.

Initial bite is less than OEM/OE pads, but they start to bite more quickly as they get hotter. The initial bit, even cold, is still fine for normal street driving. The pads are great

derbo
03-22-2016, 07:33 AM
These are my favorite pads for my street setup.

Vas
03-22-2016, 07:41 AM
These are my favorite pads for my street setup.

Nice to know. I think these street pads and brembo blank rotors is the way to go.

ELCID86
03-22-2016, 09:02 AM
I'm in touch with Ray for a quote now.

---

Vas
03-22-2016, 12:34 PM
I'm in touch with Ray for a quote now.

---
Let's see what that is.

NoVAphotog
03-22-2016, 12:57 PM
Let's see what that is.

+1

ELCID86
03-22-2016, 04:35 PM
He quoted $135 shipped.

---

Oli77
03-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Still going strong with my stoptech Ray got for me about three years ago.

Smilez
03-23-2016, 06:02 AM
currently one of my suppliers is having some type of relationship problems with centric. So my prices have gone up a tad bit. I do have another supplier that really competes and shipping is super duper fast.

Thanks Oli for the love.

I'm still around and always a text a way. I know i haven't been on here much, but you guys can always reach me at anytime.

Johnmadd
03-23-2016, 03:13 PM
currently one of my suppliers is having some type of relationship problems with centric. So my prices have gone up a tad bit. I do have another supplier that really competes and shipping is super duper fast.

Thanks Oli for the love.

I'm still around and always a text a way. I know i haven't been on here much, but you guys can always reach me at anytime.

You da man Ray :thumbsup

rkneeshaw
04-29-2016, 12:39 PM
Make sure you bed these pads. If you don't your rotors will eventually feel "warped" and shimmy all over the place. Do 10 or so 60-5mph stops at 90% brake force all in a row, then make sure you drive for about 15 minutes at 60mph to properly cool them back down. Repeat as necessary until you get some good smooth pad transfer, which should look like a nice slightly grey look on the rotor face (it should NOT be super shiny like chrome, that means you have no pad transfer). Then you'll be golden and have nice strong smooth stops for many moons.

These pads need help with laying down good pad transfer. Other street pads don't, but they aren't as performance oriented either.

hermannea
08-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Anyone have contact info for Ray? Looks like his site is down for maint... pm'd him few days ago. My zhp is parked til i can put new pads and rotors on :(

ELCID86
08-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Not sure about Ray. I got my Stoptech from TireRack (use affiliate link).

---

hermannea
08-12-2016, 10:18 AM
He got ahold of me, pads & rotors on the way :)

ELCID86
08-13-2016, 04:00 PM
He got ahold of me, pads & rotors on the way :)

Awesome

quikryptonite
05-22-2017, 06:48 PM
Any chance the StopTech street performance would be causing heat spots on my Centric rotors? I just got my alignment done at the dealer and they said the pulsation when braking from 30-40 mph could be from heat spots on the rotor. They also said I might have three bent wheels, so I'll get those looked at elsewhere.

Anyway, I got home and there is just a slight lip on the edge of my rotors. Could the pads have already worn the rotors down? It's been 2 years and 20,000 miles since I installed them. Could I have done the bed in process incorrectly?

I haven't had a chance to get the wheels off and really look at them, just trying to figure out if I need a new set of rotors and pads on all four corners now, or if there was a rookie tech who misdiagnosed the pulsation.