PDA

View Full Version : Sony Camera will drive you to speechlessness

jreyes19
09-15-2011, 04:40 AM
Sony Alpha 77

World's fastest shooting DSLR. Get action photos, HD Movies and Live View shots that other cameras miss, thanks to Sony's exclusive Translucent Mirror Technology. Enjoy 24.3 megapixel resolution—with the world's fastest shooting— up to 12 frames per second—and the world's first OLED electronic viewfinder.

2nd Generation Translucent Mirror Design

24.3 MP; best-in-class resolution

World's fastest up to 12 fps continuous

HD Movies at 60p, 60i, or 24p

HD movies with full manual control

HDMI output for HD viewing

921K dot TruBlack LCD screen

World's first OLED viewfinder

Three-way tilt/swivel LCD screen

AUTO+ (Advanced Auto) mode

Top mounted LCD

Full-time Phase Detection AF

World's shortest release time lag

Object Tracking AF

19-point Auto Focus

6-image layering

Multi-frame NR

Handheld Twilight mode

Auto HDR built into camera

ISO 16000 sensitivity

11 Picture Effect modes

3D Sweep Panorama

Sweep Panorama Mode

Built-in GPS

Shot Result Preview

Main Sensor Quick AF Live View

SteadyShot INSIDE stabilization

P/A/S/M exposure modes

Sony Exmor technology

Upgraded BIONZ image processor

APS-C size HD CMOS image sensor

Dynamic Range Optimizer (DRO)

Face Detection and Registration

Smile Shutter technology

Slot for two media types

Up to 530 Shots of battery life

Rugged, magnesium alloy body

Advanced Anti-Dust Technology

Built-in Flash (GN12)

There is also the A65 which is a little toned down version of this camera
with the main difference being 10fps, 15 point auto focus, and some in-camera options

i believe both are scheduled to release in October

the A77 will be selling for
1,999 w/lense
1,399 body
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Translucent-Mirror-Digital-16-50mm/dp/B005IHAIC0

A65 will be selling for
999 w/lens
899 body
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Translucent-Mirror-Digital-18-55mm/dp/B005IHAIDO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1316088030&sr=1-1

let me know what you guys think
I am personally thinking of saving up for the A65 and waiting for personal experience reviews to be released about it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqs5TDU0X20

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1itxu5I_wM

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 04:52 AM
Do want!

zj96sc
09-15-2011, 05:14 AM
So...question. I am not even close to being knowledgeable about photography equipment. Stats sound cool, but why is it that whenever I see professional photographers they're never holding anything but Nikon or Canon? Really not trying to incite a pissing contest or anything....just genuinely asking if Sony is a real "player" ?

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 05:29 AM
So...question. I am not even close to being knowledgeable about photography equipment. Stats sound cool, but why is it that whenever I see professional photographers they're never holding anything but Nikon or Canon? Really not trying to incite a pissing contest or anything....just genuinely asking if Sony is a real "player" ?

We need Casey, Neil, and Gabe to weigh in on this. Then we'll know.

goofiefoot
09-15-2011, 05:41 AM
So, if I want all those features, but only want to pay $300-400, what options do I have? ;)

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 05:47 AM
So, if I want all those features, but only want to pay $300-400, what options do I have? ;)

:rofl

mimalmo
09-15-2011, 06:10 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwjiO1MCVs

C Withers Media
09-15-2011, 06:39 AM
So here is what I think about the Sony A77.

Go to a camera store or local retailer and pick up cameras, try to navigate menus, take a few shots, judge the weight, and just play with it in general for a minutes. Do this with several makes and brands of cameras. If you find one that is comfortable and just seems to make sense to you, that is the one you should go for. These are just tools, do not get caught up in 24.3 megapixel who ha crap. 1% of us will ever be good enough to shoot a billboard or something requiring files that size. A hammer from Walmart isnt much different than a hammer from Bob's Tool Emporium. Go with something that is comfortable in your hands and makes sense for you.

The only concern I would have with Sony is aftermarket lens availability but apparently they are in bed with Minolta, so there is glass out there.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-15-2011, 06:42 AM
And while we are asking questions, I will throw this one out there: what's the point of 24.3 MP? Having been in the photography market for all of four weeks, it seems obvious to me that we're in the middle of a pixel war. Still, is this just a marketing gimmick? Other than Sony selling a grip of memory cards to accompany this camera, what's the point? And won't the higher res sensor (which will require more amplification -- because the pixels are so tiny) require more noise reduction? And, if it does, what does that mean for the camera as it moves into the higher ISO levels (which you'll need for low-light conditions)?

What I also don't know, but would love to hear from the experts, is whether Sony is known for producing top-quality glass for its cameras. We know Nikon and Canon make great glass. How about Sony?

As you can tell, I have more questions than answers. Looking forward to what the pros have to say.

Signed,

Guy who has owned a camera since August 23.

C Withers Media
09-15-2011, 07:08 AM
To answer your questions...

Mo pixels mo problems...

Memory card sales will skyrocket..Sony is known for having proprietary equipment.

Sony = Minolta when it comes to glass so no issues there.

jreyes19
09-15-2011, 07:10 AM
I am certainly not a pro in any sense of the word lol
but when I saw the specs on this camera along with the AF speed
i was impressed, as for glass i believe has their own line of lenses along with being compatable with aftermarket ones
as for all the nitty gritty details that requier an knowledgeable person ..... IDK lol

but the camera looks to be a huge contendor for the under $1000 category of dslr cameras (A65)
I have been looking at the A77 videos from people using them in Japan and have only been even more impressed
by the capabilities of this camera

jreyes19
09-15-2011, 07:14 AM
To answer your questions...

Mo pixels mo problems...

Memory card sales will skyrocket..Sony is known for having proprietary equipment.

Sony = Minolta when it comes to glass so no issues there.

quick question

I know that higher resolution = larger file sizes
but what file size per picture would i be looking at if i bought this camera?

I see what your saying about possibly using high res cameras to help suppliment the possible fall in sony's memory card sales lol

Marcus-SanDiego
09-15-2011, 07:23 AM
Casey, any insight into my question about packing all of those pixels on the sensor? What will that mean for noise?

C Withers Media
09-15-2011, 07:25 AM
12 to 14 Mb files sizes in Raw format on 24mp. 5-7Mb files sizes in .jpeg on 24 mp.

I know several 5dMk2 owners who typically manage their in camera settings down to 12 ish MP for that reason and the loss of IQ that comes with stuffing that many pixels.

If you are shooting billboards and poster sized photos day in and day out, it makes perfect sense. If you are uploading 600x800 files to the internet there is a huge loss of data in compression.

Marcus-SanDiego
09-15-2011, 07:27 AM
12 to 14 Mb files sizes in Raw format on 24mp. 5-7Mb files sizes in .jpeg on 24 mp.

Damn. Big files. Sony is going to sell a lot of cards. And I am guessing they will be Sony cards.

C Withers Media
09-15-2011, 07:29 AM
This should be moved to Casey's Corner so other photogs can chime in. The last thing I want to do is give a bad impression of this piece of equipment having never held it.

jreyes19
09-15-2011, 07:38 AM
sorry if i put it in the wrong section

M0nk3y
09-15-2011, 07:39 AM
My D3100 shoots outrageous sizes like 4000x(insert 4:3 number here).

Whoever falls into the MP game is in it for the wrong reasons IMO

Marcus-SanDiego
09-15-2011, 07:40 AM

No worries.

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 07:53 AM

It wasn't in wrong section....it's just in a section now, that will get better feedback.

wsmeyer
09-15-2011, 08:00 AM
I print 13x19 all the time. At 300dpi that works out to 22.2MP. Plus MP count rises exponentially with size. To have a little bit of cropping room a 15x21 at 300dpi would be nice, and that works out to 28.3MP.

Personally I think we will eventually be seeing sensors in the 100MP range, a whole new crop of lenses with the IQ to match, and a new shooting style based more on fewer higher quality lenses and a lot more cropping.

William.

Gheybe
09-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Shiva has an Alpha 33. She loves it. It's easy to use, and quite frankly, it has a ton of stuff that make it an easy to use camera.
You need to go to a Sony store and play with it. See if you like it. If the menus are the same, each time you switch modes, it will tell you what it does. If it's the same as the Alpha 33, or better, it will allow you to literally press the shutter while zooming in or out, without stopping. It has to do with where the sensor is mounted and what not.

The one thing that bothers me is the screen. I come from a 5D and a T2i. Both, among other Canon's, known for having amazing LCD screens. The sony uses an OLED screen as the viewfinder. That means you're looking at a tiny little TV when you see the viewfinder. And a slightly bigger one as the back screen. Besides that, the camera is flawless.

Now, can you justify spending $2300~ after taxes? That's hard to say. A couple of days back I saw 5 or 6 older guys with 5D's and 7D's with kit lenses, all in full auto (Green Box mode). I was dumb founded.

I don't know what you will use the camera for. I don't know how into it you are. You won't be disappointed with the camera and it will take you quite a while to run into a wall that is held up by the camera, where you cannot climb over. I know it will take me quite a long time to find a reason to upgrade from mine.

At the end of the day it's about you liking to work with the camera, the camera fitting your goals, and the camera not being an obstacle for you.
But you asked for my opinion, so, I saw Alpha 65 or T3i.
Why get a Barret .50 cal to go hunting when an R700 will challenge you to be more accurate for a kill shot? Also think about saving money on body and sacrificing not enough to notice, and getting a couple of lenses more. The flexibility in lenses will outweigh heavily the flexibility of the different bodies.

Gheybe
09-15-2011, 10:40 AM
In addition, Shiva's camera uses regular SD cards. I think this one might do it too.

neil1138
09-15-2011, 01:45 PM
Why is it that whenever I see professional photographers they're never holding anything but Nikon or Canon?

Simple answer? If you already have Minolta glass, Sony is a very logical choice. But most existing photographers have already invested in nikon/canon glass so they don't think about making the switch. Most new photographers don't buy Sony because they see other photographers shooting great photos with nikon/canon so they just go with those.