PDA

View Full Version : excessive crank time

ZHPER
09-15-2011, 07:55 AM
So this is the problem I have been have for the past couple months. When I try to start my car there it takes a 2-3 seconds longer for it to turn over than normal. It doesn't matter whether the engine has been driven for 30+ miles or been sitting all night it happens at random times. It progressed from a few times a week to once a day. I have noticed that

The check engine light has not come on yet and have not noticed anything other problems happening. It could not be the fuel pump because I had that replaced less than 5,000 miles ago.

I was thinking it could be the crankshaft sensor or one of the camshaft sensors (Exhaust, Intake). It is an 05 330 ci zhp all stock with 70,000 miles.

If it is one of those issues does the check engine light come on before the actual part dies so I have time to make it to a shop or will it just crap out on me with no warning .:help

Thanks in advance

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 07:57 AM
What about fuel filter? Plugs?

ZHPER
09-15-2011, 08:06 AM
I had the sparks plugs replaced at 60,000 miles and the fuel filter replaced with the fuel pump.

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 08:08 AM
I had the sparks plugs replaced at 60,000 miles and the fuel filter replaced with the fuel pump.

I would think a code would be there or car would be running very poorly with a bab ckps.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnmadd
09-15-2011, 08:12 AM
A bad fuel injector possibly.

zj96sc
09-15-2011, 08:53 AM
Probably want to see what kind of fuel pressure you're holding in the fuel rail overnight/while off. If its dropping way down while sitting the delay may be the pump getting the rail back up to 50 or 60 psi or whatever we run at.

Try this next time....cycle your key to on to let the pump prime. Maybe 10 seconds. Then key off, and go for a full start and see if you get the long crank time.

What are the details on the fuel pump you put it?

Gordo_GT
09-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Do you get this issue all the time or does it happen randomly?

This randomly happens on mine but after letting the pump prime, the issue hasn't happened yet. I just turn the key until my needles move (without starting the car) and I wait until the car stops beeping and then I start the car.

Hermes
09-15-2011, 11:43 AM
I've had this happen a few times in the 3 years I've had my car but not in a long time. Sorry that I was no help

ZHPER
09-15-2011, 04:14 PM
@ gordon GT and zj96sc---I will try this tomorrow and update. Thanks for the insight

danewilson77
09-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Do you get this issue all the time or does it happen randomly?

This randomly happens on mine but after letting the pump prime, the issue hasn't happened yet. I just turn the key until my needles move (without starting the car) and I wait until the car stops beeping and then I start the car.

So....this is just giving the fuel pump time to prime the fuel rail? Could this be indicative of another minor problem?

zj96sc
09-19-2011, 09:12 AM
It would be indicative of a failed check valve, or a stuck injector. I'm not exactly sure how the E46 system works, but most systems have a fuel check valve in the system, sometimes combined with the pressure regulator, sometimes not, that hold proper fuel pressure in the rail while the pump isn't running. If an injector is stuck open or leaking, same deal. Lets fuel slowly leak out.

Gordo_GT
09-24-2011, 10:54 PM
So....this is just giving the fuel pump time to prime the fuel rail? Could this be indicative of another minor problem?

IDK, I took it to the dealership 2x and to an indie shop where I get most of my maintenance done and they all gave me the same look (they looked at me for a few seconds trying to figure out how they can politely tell me to lay off the roofies, jk). They all said they could not find any issues and it was probably natural differences in fuel as the M3 is prone to do that (not sure if it is true or not). I didn't listen to their advise and I purchased a new battery and changed the fuel filter, same issue (a ton of $$$ spent afterward). I left it alone and I just deal with it. It's not really an issue, sometimes it can take 0.5-2 seconds for the car to start but 95% of people don't notice anyway, I just happen to be one of those 5%.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I have not replaced the spark plugs. I do not know if it is related at all or whether changing the spark plugs will help at all.

zj96sc
09-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Just remember it only takes 3 things to make fire...air, fuel, and spark. So if one of those 3 isn't happening or isn't happening when you need it to happen, that'll be a problem. Just be logical and methodical....start with having fuel rail pressure monitored. Even an analog gauge off the rail up to the windshield will get you the information you need.

Hermes
09-28-2011, 06:56 PM
did this get figured out/resolved?

M0nk3y
09-28-2011, 07:04 PM
For my E46...it usually cranked instantly.

For my E86 though, it usually takes 2.5-4 seconds to start this car...always. I've talked to people about it and it's normal. Maybe it's just something you've never noticed?