PDA

View Full Version : BMW OEM Windshield or Aftermarket Windshield?

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 06:01 AM
The question is simple.

You simply need to click.

Leave a post if you must.

But don't be a pr!ck.
__________________________________________________ __________
Why one of the other?

In respect to durability feel free to comment.

No NSFW.

Do not be rude.

Share past experiences with others.

How do you usually get your windshield replaced?

In respect to cost, how much does it typically cost you?

Ease into the thread. All questions need not be answered at once.

Love you guys.

Don't be a stranger.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/IMAG0697.jpg

jreyes19
09-16-2011, 06:35 AM
lol you are a good poet

I live in florida
where windsheilds are free
insurance pays
so OEM for me

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 06:36 AM
Damn you Floridians got it gooood.

Johnmadd
09-16-2011, 06:40 AM
I have 2 e30's that I replaced the windshield on both, one with original bmw glass and the other was aftermarket, no noticeable differences in my opinion.

Hermes
09-16-2011, 09:09 AM
i had a chip filled but you can still see where it was (stupid trucks on the freeway kicking up crap), gonna have to eventually change it but haven't got around to it yet.

DW, how come we don't have a choice of Lexan?

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Idkwti?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
09-16-2011, 09:35 AM
I voted OEM.

This is from a glass website not associated with any vehicle manufacturer:

"Aftermarket glass is made by companies that do not contract with any car manufacturers, and do not have the legal right to manufacture auto glass to the exact same specifications as OEM distributors due to licensing and copyright laws. Safelite is one of the main aftermarket or "original equipment equivalent (OEE)" auto glass manufacturers. Aftermarket glass is significantly cheaper than OEM or dealer glass. It's usually a different thickness than OEM glass, and most dealers will not accept aftermarket glass when you return a leased vehicle because the glass differs so much from the original design, and does not carry the same guarantees as OEM auto glass."

Hermes
09-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Idkwti?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Lexan - aka lightweight race 'glass', really its a polycarbonate resin thermoplastic

TMS is selling an unused one for $450
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4279-e46-m3-lexan-windsheild-used.aspx

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Lexan - aka lightweight race 'glass', really its a polycarbonate resin thermoplastic

TMS is selling an unused one for $450
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-4279-e46-m3-lexan-windsheild-used.aspx

Shipping is $100.00 and it's for an ///M3 - 2 door only. No fun!

That thing only weighs 15 lbs!

Now I know what Lexan is. Thank you.

telijah
09-16-2011, 10:57 AM
lol you are a good poet

I live in florida
where windsheilds are free
insurance pays
so OEM for me

I never understood this logic. They're free, so why does it matter OEM or not? All windshields have to meet the same safety standards.

kayger12
09-16-2011, 11:58 AM
" Aftermarket glass is significantly cheaper than OEM or dealer glass. It's usually a different thickness than OEM glass, and most dealers will not accept aftermarket glass when you return a leased vehicle because the glass differs so much from the original design, and does not carry the same guarantees as OEM auto glass."

I never understood this logic. They're free, so why does it matter OEM or not? All windshields have to meet the same safety standards.

They have to meet the same safety standards but are not the same specs.

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 12:14 PM

If it was free....why would one...NOT choose the BMW glass.

Hornung418
09-16-2011, 12:25 PM
Current glass is three months old. Which brand is it?

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Safelite brandz.

Hornung418
09-16-2011, 12:34 PM
OEM fo sho.

danewilson77
09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
OEM fo sho.

Bear in mind the rock that hit my window, was the size of a Pro V1. It starred.....then the next day...when the car sat in the sun....it propogated.

I do not think any glass would have faired very well. Just saying I didn't want that to be my only data point.

I remember conflicting data....with some people saying the oem glass was harder better, while others were saying the aftermarket was harder/better.

cakM3
09-16-2011, 02:57 PM
I have a hookup up here in Providence and got the windshield for my 323i replaced for $150.

Pilkington (I think that's how its spelled) didn't have the BMW symbol but still from OEM supplier...just as good and pricing was great!

MasterC17
09-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Yes, Pilkington is an OEM supplier. I'd still rather have the factory glass for the same price. I definitely wouldn't go aftermarket, just my opinion.

MafiaAmor
09-19-2011, 03:05 PM
When I purchased my e46, It had a minor crack in it. Throughout a few months it grew and grew, so I had an aftermarket put in by some guys who come to your house to fix your windshield, and lets just say that cracked my first time behind a semi.....luckily insurance paid for the crack because of the semi, and I purchased an OEM one right now, and I don't know why put it almost seems as if it's like a higher quality set of glasses.

I think the fitment is much better, but that's my opinion.

I don't hate the semi drivers, I hate the trucks! lol.

johnrando
09-19-2011, 07:45 PM
I had to go with aftermarket due to the cost. My insurance covered it but my deductible was too high ($1000). So, $300 for aftermarket, $600 for OEM. The aftermarket has been just fine now for the few (3 or 4) months I've had it. Only noticeable difference is it doesn't have "bmw" on it. So, while I would have preferred OEM just because, I'll vote aftermarket.

das boots
09-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Somewhere way back, PO (dunno which one) replaced the windshield. They or the installer screwed it up my screwing up the rain sensor. Thye blocked the sensor with something....epoxy maybe? Can this be fixed?

danewilson77
09-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Somewhere way back, PO (dunno which one) replaced the windshield. They or the installer screwed it up my screwing up the rain sensor. Thye blocked the sensor with something....epoxy maybe? Can this be fixed?

Mmmm...I would think so, maybe at next windshield replacement?

danewilson77
09-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Going with Pilkington. Thanks for the input fellas.

M3TA5IN
09-29-2011, 04:36 AM
Most insurance companies cover glass. Had it with Geico and I do now with Progressive, they waive the deduct. kthx

das boots
09-29-2011, 05:04 AM
Mmmm...I would think so, maybe at next windshield replacement?

Probably never. Unless I get a windshield smashed by a rock...then I will go replace with an OE windshield. No aftermarket. Just wishful thinking.

Whitexi
09-29-2011, 06:08 PM
With whatever you do just make sure the rain sensor lens has no air bubbles. I get mad every time I look at the one on my car. It pisses me off.

danewilson77
09-29-2011, 06:37 PM
With whatever you do just make sure the rain sensor lens has no air bubbles. I get mad every time I look at the one on my car. It pisses me off.

Thanks

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Gordo_GT
09-29-2011, 06:39 PM
Seems you already made your decision. I voted aftermarket by accident, meant to vote OEM. I had the same dilemma a few months ago and I chose OEM. I chose it due to the better fitment. To you and me it doesn't matter but ask a windshield installer about it and you'll know what I mean. Besides, having the BMW logo is a big deal to me (if you cheap out on the windshield, what else do you cheap out under the hood?). I paid my $500 deductible but total cost was $635.

danewilson77
09-29-2011, 06:41 PM
So mine at $335 installed is good data for us.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
09-29-2011, 07:33 PM

I'll remember that next time when I have to replace my windshield.

das boots
09-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Seems you already made your decision. I voted aftermarket by accident, meant to vote OEM. I had the same dilemma a few months ago and I chose OEM. I chose it due to the better fitment. To you and me it doesn't matter but ask a windshield installer about it and you'll know what I mean. Besides, having the BMW logo is a big deal to me (if you cheap out on the windshield, what else do you cheap out under the hood?). I paid my $500 deductible but total cost was $635.

I know you misread what I said. I did mention the PO (one of them) was the one that replaced and installed an aftermarket windshield. You don't know me. I do not "cheap out".

johnrando
09-30-2011, 07:06 AM

Everyone has his/her own opinion, and I don't "cheap out" on my car. I decided to buy non-OEM glass, which meets all the safety standards, and looks/works just fine, and use that $300 savings somewhere else on my car. The logic that non-OEM glass means something else has been "cheaped out" on doesn't necessarily apply. I certainly respect your right to use that as a differentiator, just know it doesn't always apply.

telijah
09-30-2011, 08:01 AM
I mentioned this on another board, but BMW's are not unicorns. Not everything has to be OEM. Of course, some of you may have had other experiences with non-OEM windshields, but being that windshields are free in Florida under insurance, I am pretty sure I've never received OEM glass and have never had any issues. However, that could mean that since they're free here in Florida, installers have moved more volume and may be slightly better at installing them correctly...? That's a huge guess obviously. My point is though, there are certainly things that do not have to be OEM.

I do use OEM though on things where it counts, like many of the electrical sensors. But just like many of you who go with aftermarket/"performance" suspension parts, mods etc, non-OEM does not mean "cheaping out" as someone else pointed out :)

Gordo_GT
10-01-2011, 02:52 PM
I know you misread what I said. I did mention the PO (one of them) was the one that replaced and installed an aftermarket windshield. You don't know me. I do not "cheap out".

Slow down, I'm not accusing anyone. That is just the mentality I would have if I was purchasing a car that was missing the logo.

Everyone has his/her own opinion, and I don't "cheap out" on my car. I decided to buy non-OEM glass, which meets all the safety standards, and looks/works just fine, and use that $300 savings somewhere else on my car. The logic that non-OEM glass means something else has been "cheaped out" on doesn't necessarily apply. I certainly respect your right to use that as a differentiator, just know it doesn't always apply.

Valid point but I just made a general comment. I didnt mean/plan to offend anyone.

kayger12
10-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Slow down, I'm not accusing anyone. That is just the mentality I would have if I was purchasing a car that was missing the logo.

Valid point but I just made a general comment. I didnt mean/plan to offend anyone.

Gordo- check your PMs please.

Droid X. Forum Runner. Use it.

HaloArchive
10-01-2011, 03:30 PM
OEM is always better. The glass wont match if it isnt OEM.

Gordo_GT
10-02-2011, 08:57 AM
Gordo- check your PMs please.

Droid X. Forum Runner. Use it.

PM Replied

johnrando
10-02-2011, 11:15 AM

No offense taken, it's all good.

johnrando
10-02-2011, 11:20 AM
OEM is always better. The glass wont match if it isnt OEM.

My non-OEM glass fits just fine. Your car, your choice, but I think people should know that non-OEM is an option. I completely understand the preference for OEM glass.

das boots
10-02-2011, 03:35 PM

No worries.

johnrando
08-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Updating my Safelite windshield repair. As part of the fixing of the scratches on my car, the body shop had to replace the molding around the windshield. Good news, because they discovered that the windshield replace was done incorrectly. No primer on the metal where they had to scrape up the old molding and too much glue was used so the windshield wasn't sitting properly. The good news is that Safelite has a labor warranty, I called them and they are going to the body shop tomorrow to fix it. This run of bad luck with the scratches definitely turned into a positive because they found something early that could end up being a huge problem, because if not done correctly, it could start rusting. I'll just be so glad to have my car back.