PDA

View Full Version : Can you name this problem in one word?

MiHiZHP
09-18-2011, 12:01 PM
Clunk.

Im getting a clunk noise from the rear on slow acceleration or reverse. Basically letting the engine idle and easing the clutch up to engagement. Happens in fwd/reverse (manual trans.)

I know its hard to diagnose with one word over the internet, but worth a try before I begin my search in earnest.

Car is an 06, just broke 50k.

Could it be control arm bushings, or any other bushing (subframe?) Does BMW make an anti-clunk spray? If so I figure I could order some when I get a replacement bottle of xenon headlight gas and a bubble pump. :dunno

mimalmo
09-18-2011, 12:09 PM
Diff bushing.

wsmeyer
09-18-2011, 12:11 PM
U-Joint?

William.

Gheybe
09-18-2011, 12:27 PM
diff-bushing

Hornung418
09-18-2011, 12:37 PM
Specifically the rear diff bushing (Number 9 on Real OEM):

gr330zhp
09-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Ahhhhhhh the famous E46 diff mount clunk!

I got it all done at ~50k miles

Oli77
09-19-2011, 09:41 AM
I think I have it too and I also think that its OK (I have learned to love it- a charm really :)).

MiHiZHP
09-20-2011, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all the replies! Is the diff bushing replacement a diy project? Any special tools?

gr330zhp
09-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I do everything on my own on my ZHP, but the diff mounts and clutch I left to my indy. The diff mounts if I remember right were a 6 hr job, basically have to drop the diff out of the car and change them

Hornung418
09-20-2011, 01:38 PM
You're going to want to get a grocery list of things that will need to be replaced while you're in there. The Clunk is not life-threatening so it can wait while you gather the funds, but you don't want to have to pay for more than one visit to the indy. Get the entire subframe bushings replaced, RTABs, the three Diff bushings, and possible some rear suspension work. Best of luck with the decision.

jreyes19
09-20-2011, 01:43 PM
good luck
i have a bit of a clunk as well but only really noticeable in 1st gear

MiHiZHP
09-21-2011, 08:30 AM
You're going to want to get a grocery list of things that will need to be replaced while you're in there. The Clunk is not life-threatening so it can wait while you gather the funds, but you don't want to have to pay for more than one visit to the indy. Get the entire subframe bushings replaced, RTABs, the three Diff bushings, and possible some rear suspension work. Best of luck with the decision.

Excellent point. If I'm gonna tear it up for one, might as well do as many replaced as I can.

Went to a indy mech here in Denver a few months ago (Bavarian AutoHaus) re: vanos rattle and a fault code. Long story short, but since it took him a few hours to get the laptop with the diag software to work - he put the car on the rack and invited me under for an inspection. I was relieved to learn that everything was in order, no worrisome leaks, missing chunks etc etc. Right rear shock did have a small leak, but nothing major. He also removed my CDV pro bono. I think his words were "Yeah, get that shit out of there...". Looks like I'll have a new project for him soon.