PDA

View Full Version : Pulling out the center console--do you *have* to remove the shift knob, trim, and boot?

tomjonesrocks
09-19-2011, 02:15 PM
I want to take out enough of the center console to access the power wires that are there below the coinholder prewired for the analog cellular phone so I can use them instead to install a powered USB jack.

Have seen some plans for this--do you really have to pull out the shift knob and boot along with the center console? It seems like the boot and knob could stay to get to this area but all the plans I've seen call for those to come out also. Really nervous enough about pulling the e-brake handle and boot off without having to remove the shift knob and boot also.

Comments appreciated--thanks!

az3579
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Yes, you'll have to remove those things.

Smolck
12-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Yes, you'll have to remove those things.

Indeed. There are two screws holding the center console in place directly under the shift plate surround. You could just pull the shift boot frame out and unscrew them without actually popping off the knob.

Sorry, didn't look at the thread date.

danewilson77
12-27-2011, 05:11 PM
Indeed. There are two screws holding the center console in place directly under the shift plate surround. You could just pull the shift boot frame out and unscrew them without actually popping off the knob.

Hehe... Bump.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

tomjonesrocks
12-27-2011, 07:03 PM

Actually--thanks! I keep procrastinating on this and now won't take the knob off!

Hermes
12-27-2011, 08:25 PM
I've taken my shifter off at least 4 times, no big deal. It's not going to mess anything up. Also, while you have it off you can refresh the cube (assuming you have black). I need to take mine off again and redo it as I'm starting to see scratches :(

zj96sc
12-28-2011, 08:31 AM
in theory you could probably just pull the boot loose from the console, remove the screws holding the console down, and thread the boot through the opening while removing the console. Square shapes can usually pass through a square hole of the same size with some wiggling.

Bigger point though is that the shift knob is not a complex removal. Just give it a good quick pop. watch your face and windshield though.

Smolck
12-28-2011, 02:14 PM
I've taken my shifter off at least 4 times, no big deal. It's not going to mess anything up. Also, while you have it off you can refresh the cube (assuming you have black). I need to take mine off again and redo it as I'm starting to see scratches :(

How does one "refresh the cube"?

Hochspannung
12-28-2011, 02:40 PM
How does one "refresh the cube"?

+1

I'd like to know how to "refresh" the trim as well. My driver's armrest has some nasty scratches

Hermes
12-28-2011, 03:35 PM
I'll write up a DIY tonight.

Hochspannung
12-28-2011, 03:55 PM
sweet! thanks

Hermes
12-28-2011, 05:41 PM
How to "refresh" your black cube effect trim (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5881-How-to-quot-refresh-quot-your-black-cube-effect-trim&p=137725#post137725)

zhp43867
01-02-2012, 08:32 AM
As far as pulling the knob off a lot, the clips seem to get weaker the more you pull the knob off. I never take it off and I've pulled the console out multiple times. Just pop the boot up, unscrew the screws from the front and back, release the e-brake boot snaps and finagle the console out.