PDA

View Full Version : Should I do maintenance @ BMW or should I find a car maintenance history?

DESANT
12-17-2010, 12:59 PM
I'll try to make it as short as possible :) I bought a car 2 weeks ago from Hyundai dealership, the car is trade in, came from California this summer. Brought my car home, looked at the maintenance book and found empty blank pages. Car has 40K miles, the question is should I go to BMW dealership and do all required maintenance for 40k? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mimalmo
12-17-2010, 01:02 PM
I would assume the previous owner only did the standard BMW maintenance (not enough if you want the car to last).

If it was me, I would find a good independent BMW shop to do the work or do it all myself.

gr330zhp
12-17-2010, 03:07 PM
I would assume the previous owner only did the standard BMW maintenance (not enough if you want the car to last).

If it was me, I would find a good independent BMW shop to do the work or do it all myself.

+1

I do most maintenance myself. Oil, tranny and diff fluids, detailing, etc

DESANT
12-17-2010, 03:23 PM
+1

I do most maintenance myself. Oil, tranny and diff fluids, detailing, etc

Well, I wish to do it myself but it is 5 F outside and soon will be -31 F

kayger12
12-17-2010, 03:25 PM
+1 for doing it yourself. This site is a great resource for DIY information with a lot of helpful and knowledgeable wrenchers. You can save yourself a ton of money and get to know your car a little better in the process...

jjcools
12-17-2010, 03:45 PM
At those temps... find a good indy shop.

kayger12
12-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Well, I wish to do it myself but it is 5 F outside and soon will be -31 F

Holy frozen testicles... Forgot you were up in the great north. In that case, indy shop with a well heated and insulated customer service area FTW!

Most people's biggest concern when doing a DIY is scraping a knuckle... You'd have to be concerned about Stage 3 Hypothermia....

gr330zhp
12-17-2010, 03:48 PM
At those temps... find a good indy shop.

Yeahh very true. Soooooooooo cold. I thought Maine was bad

Marcus-SanDiego
12-17-2010, 03:51 PM
Indy shop, Frosty.

danewilson77
12-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Do...oil, tranny and diff fluids, check the brakes, air filter and in cabin filter....asap

After this, we can get into the more serious stuff...

mimalmo
12-17-2010, 04:16 PM
If you've got a garage and tools, now might be the time to invest in a portable heater. Otherwise, like I said - find a good independent BMW repair shop.

Check with www.bimrs.org for a list of independent BMW shops.

DESANT
12-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Thank you for all your advises, will do as per danewillson77.

billschusteriv
12-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Do...oil, tranny and diff fluids, check the brakes, air filter and in cabin filter....asap

+1. Assume the PO did less than the BMW schedule. Take care of the above first. Recommend you use approved fluids (oil/tranny/diff).

When checking the brakes, don't just check the pads and rotors - how does the car stop? How does the pedal feel? Firm? Spongy? Brake fluid doesn't last forever - it may also be a good time to do a brake fluid flush. Or at least something to think about in the next 5-15k miles. When I bought my car - this was one of the first things I did based on braking performance and pedal feel.

I believe you said you have 45k on the clock - so you've got some time before we have to start thinking about the coolant system.

shadowpuck
12-31-2010, 10:01 AM
agreed - in my profession, the phrase is "if it isn't written down, it didn't happen." just assume that the vehicle was maintained only at a basic level - BMW's free scheduled service - and do what needs to be done for the mileage you are at.

i've been in the Manitoba area (so, not too far away) - it was quite nice - it was also July.....:)

04ZHP_PDX
01-01-2011, 08:26 PM

Recommendations on specs/brands Dane? For DESANT and myself :). I have the 6-speed manual. Do you recommend ECS for these items?

danewilson77
01-01-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah....I have done a lot of shopping there...as its a good "one stop shop" for maintenance and some modding.

I got the royal purple synchromax for my tranny and diff...

Also can get air filter, pick up a case of Mann oil filters, and an in cabin filter there also.

Ray would be a good resource for your brakes/pads....he won't let you down.....and just get the approved oil at the cheapest place you can find it

04ZHP_PDX
01-01-2011, 09:04 PM
Thank you very much. Going to check all of this on mine tomorrow and order what is needed.

MrMaico
01-05-2011, 11:34 AM
I'll try to make it as short as possible :) I bought a car 2 weeks ago from Hyundai dealership, the car is trade in, came from California this summer. Brought my car home, looked at the maintenance book and found empty blank pages. Car has 40K miles, the question is should I go to BMW dealership and do all required maintenance for 40k? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I read on one of the BMW forums that not all dealers will stamp the back pages of your owners manual like they're supposed to so just because they may not be stamped it doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't done. I'm not saying you shouldn't do it anyway just that it may not be accurate. I would think that a dealers computer records would be a better way of finding out how well it's been maintained.