PDA

View Full Version : Do keys have a replaceable battery?

05ImolaRed
09-26-2011, 07:21 PM
I notice that 1 of my keys has a pretty short range comp to the other. Is there a way to replace battery w/in key? I dont have factory or aftermarket alarm.

I searched forum first w/o success :ducking

Thanks!
Chuck

Johnmadd
09-26-2011, 08:11 PM
I notice that 1 of my keys has a pretty short range comp to the other. Is there a way to replace battery w/in key? I dont have factory or aftermarket alarm.

I searched forum first w/o success :ducking

Thanks!
Chuck

Good..?

I have to be almost touching my car when I hit the unlock or lock on my key

HokieZHP
09-26-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm not 100% sure but I feel like it is not replaceable. Normally keys with replaceable batteries have a little slot in the case somewhere to put in a pry tool to open up the case. These key cases seem pretty well sealed up.

Hermes
09-26-2011, 09:08 PM
mine is like that sometimes, the battery is NOT supposed to be replaceable - its supposed to charge while in the ignition. DW (a while ago) told me to try this but I just havent done it yet (from http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-Preventative-maintenance-Issues-DIY-s):

27. Key Re-Initialization

Get in and close all doors.
Turn on the ignition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
Remove the 1st key.
Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this).
Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.
Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.
If it does not work, try doing the keys in opposite order. Key 2 then key1, vs 1 then 2.

Remember to alternate your keys from time to time so that you keep the batteries in both charged. Some have found success with placing the key into a rechargeable toothbrush charger overnight as well.

Another thing you can do is to replace the battery! It's not officially possible (or recommended) for the new key design (2000+) but it can be done.

danewilson77
09-27-2011, 04:12 AM
1. Key re-initialization as my man said above.

If that doesn't work...

2. Change out the battery.....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=481585

If that doesn't work....

3. Buy a new key = $200ish....

gr330zhp
09-27-2011, 05:21 AM
Our keys charge while they are in the ignition, so use it for a week or so. That's what I do, every couple weeks I switch keys. I have great range on both of my keys

danewilson77
09-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Our keys charge while they are in the ignition, so use it for a week or so. That's what I do, every couple weeks I switch keys. I have great range on both of my keys

Correct. I guess I assumed he had been using it. Good backup Stathi.

knevor
09-27-2011, 06:11 AM
I found this for a friend of mine who had bad keys. He said the service was great and much cheaper than a new key.
http://www.bmwgm5.com/default.htm

danewilson77
09-27-2011, 06:59 AM
I found this for a friend of mine who had bad keys. He said the service was great and much cheaper than a new key.
http://www.bmwgm5.com/default.htm

It's my understanding that if one of his keys works great, then the GM5 is good.

telijah
09-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Change out the battery.....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=481585

I recently did this, but didn't need a new battery. Split the key open and found the break in the connection from the battery to the board. A little solder job and my key works like new. I have about a 30-40 foot range with my key.

danewilson77
09-27-2011, 09:30 AM
I recently did this, but didn't need a new battery. Split the key open and found the break in the connection from the battery to the board. A little solder job and my key works like new. I have about a 30-40 foot range with my key.

You must specialize in "amazing"

telijah
09-27-2011, 10:36 AM
Not sure what you meant by that Dane, but I certainly am not amazing by any stretch of the imagination. I've never soldered before, and while I am confident I could, I let someone else who knows how since if I screwed up it would mean a $180 key would be on order.

Hermes
09-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Side note, my dads keys on his Benz are having a "programming" issue... Dealer ordered him 2 new keys from AG on the house

danewilson77
09-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Side note, my dads keys on his Benz are having a "programming" issue... Dealer ordered him 2 new keys from AG on the house

Not gonna happen with BMW. Happy for your Dad though.

danewilson77
09-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Not sure what you meant by that Dane, but I certainly am not amazing by any stretch of the imagination. I've never soldered before, and while I am confident I could, I let someone else who knows how since if I screwed up it would mean a $180 key would be on order.

Meant to be a compliment. Good seeing you around T.

05ImolaRed
09-27-2011, 01:59 PM

Hmm. Since one works pretty well, I might just try dis. Thanks for the idea. If board looks good, I might order a battery that was in an earlier link.

zj96sc
09-28-2011, 05:39 AM
Well how about that.....the keys charge while in the ignition? How the heck does that work? Don't you need two contacts to create a circuit? Inductive charging?

edit: googled, and yeah, looks like it uses inductive charging.

telijah
09-28-2011, 11:42 AM
Well how about that.....the keys charge while in the ignition? How the heck does that work? Don't you need two contacts to create a circuit? Inductive charging?

Yup, just like those "charge pads" for phones, mp3 players etc

johnrando
09-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Another tip for increasing your key range is to hold it under your jaw while you push the button. (really). It's on e46f.c, apparently it increase the range, kinda like a cone on a satellite receiver.

danewilson77
09-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Another tip for increasing your key range is to hold it under your jaw while you push the button. (really). It's on e46f.c, apparently it increase the range, kinda like a cone on a satellite receiver.

Oh...well...if its on E46f.c it must be true....hehe.

Say...anyway...what is E46f.c?

I have heard this as well...from many sources.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

WOLFN8TR
09-29-2011, 07:01 PM

I had read that a Sonic Care will actually charge the keyfob, just lay it on the charger.

WOLFN8TR
09-29-2011, 07:05 PM
Battery Replacement (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315311)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGrxuUrnYSI

norman@southbayBMW
09-29-2011, 07:53 PM
The E46 keys doesn't have any battery it charges will the key is in the ignition of the car. If u guys have 2 keys make sure at lease every month u guys switch keys to keep it charge.

RVAzhp
09-30-2011, 05:35 AM
its not replaceable. once it finally dies or stops charging you're outta luck.

on another note...
i was told the plastic "valet" key can break off into the ignition/door handle if you use it more than a handful of times? is this true? i only have that as my backup key since mine only came with one actual car key.

telijah
09-30-2011, 05:53 AM
The E46 keys doesn't have any battery

This is clearly a false statement... According to the dealer, there is no replaceable battery, but a simple search will show that these batteries can infact be changed. And while it is true that it is charged by the ignition cylinder, it doesn't mean the batteries last forever.

WOLFN8TR
09-30-2011, 06:42 AM
Actually the battery "Can" be changed, I've changed mine. You can either get the 2012 that is rechargeable or go with the standard non rechargeable battery. It takes the 2016. Taking the key apart is a real PITA thou.

Google it...It's been done before. Click on my links above.

johnrando
09-30-2011, 07:01 AM

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

LOL Dane. Actually, there were quite a few testimonials on e46fanatics.com (e46f.c) :) that this worked. Besides, if it's on the internet, it's TRUE!

RVAzhp
09-30-2011, 08:01 AM
LOL Dane. Actually, there were quite a few testimonials on e46fanatics.com (e46f.c) :) that this worked. Besides, if it's on the internet, it's TRUE!

yeah i've done it. except i put it to my temple. does increase range, not sure how "good" it is for you.

telijah
09-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Forgot to chime in on that. Ever since I've had cars with remote lock/unlock or alarms, I've always used the trick of holding it to my jaw for further range. I can be up in my apartment and go to the window, put the remote to my jaw, and hit unlock then lock to ensure I remembered to lock my car.

danewilson77
09-30-2011, 08:36 AM
This is clearly a false statement... According to the dealer, there is no replaceable battery, but a simple search will show that these batteries can infact be changed. And while it is true that it is charged by the ignition cylinder, it doesn't mean the batteries last forever.

+1

Johnmadd
10-01-2011, 05:31 PM

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

WOW, it actually does work. I tried it, and it worked and I loled, couldn't believe it. You have to point the metal part to your throat, I still can't believe it works.

danewilson77
10-01-2011, 06:24 PM
WOW, it actually does work. I tried it, and it worked and I loled, couldn't believe it. You have to point the metal part to your throat, I still can't believe it works.

Would we lie Johnny? The alternate position for this maneuver is just holding it up, pointing it straight up, by your shoulder.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnmadd
10-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Would we lie Johnny? The alternate position for this maneuver is just holding it up, pointing it straight up, by your shoulder.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Dude, it really works. Go as far as you can being able to use your key, and then go further and try it, amazing.

danewilson77
10-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Dude, it really works. Go as far as you can being able to use your key, and then go further and try it, amazing.

I know brutha, I know....lol....you crack me up.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Johnmadd
10-01-2011, 07:39 PM

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
:cheers

johnrando
10-01-2011, 08:13 PM

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

:rofl It's the little things sometimes John, isn't it? :)

Johnmadd
10-01-2011, 08:22 PM
:rofl It's the little things sometimes John, isn't it? :)

Yuuuuuupppp,. I am simple :-) I get thrills from the simple things, thanks john.