PDA

View Full Version : BMW steering wheel vol up/down sensitivity.

Washburn
12-18-2010, 09:14 AM
I really should go out and get the manual from the glove box, but it's 32*F outside :)

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the volume up/down buttons on the steering wheel?
I like it to be a bit less sensitive (I normally have the speed volume thing on, but sometimes when I manually adjust, i feel like the jump in volume is a bit much).

Thanks

pyreguy
12-18-2010, 09:50 AM
I only know how to turn down the sensitivity of the speed volume thing. There was nothing in my manual about the steering wheel control sensitivity.

Washburn
12-18-2010, 09:51 AM
Thanks - I sorta expected that, but had some hope :)

kayger12
12-18-2010, 10:14 AM
I don't think there is-- I've had the same issue in the past. Sometimes when I want just a smidge more or less volume, I have to go for the knob on the unit.

gr330zhp
12-18-2010, 10:33 AM
I have noticed this as well. I think the steering wheel control adjusts double what the knob on the stereo does, or at least that is what I have seen

So when you go up or down one click on the steering wheel, it is like you are rotating the knob 2 cllicks on the stereo :dunno

There is no way of adjusting it

danewilson77
12-18-2010, 10:50 AM
I really should go out and get the manual from the glove box, but it's 32*F outside :)

Download owners manual to computer...so the next time you need it and its cold....

http://www.linquist.net/motorsports/bmw/3manuals

zhp43867
12-18-2010, 11:55 AM

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of the volume up/down buttons on the steering wheel?
I like it to be a bit less sensitive (I normally have the speed volume thing on, but sometimes when I manually adjust, i feel like the jump in volume is a bit much).

Thanks

I did a cooling system for another E46 in <20 degree weather, also oil change, oil level sensor, front struts and pulled the whole interior this week; pulled an all nighter doing it. Deal with it! :)N

JK :wub

Washburn
12-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Thanks Dane, for the link :)
zhp43867: Hey if I ever needs all that done, I will give you a call and will entertain you with a meal :)

mimalmo
12-18-2010, 12:53 PM
I have noticed this as well. I think the steering wheel control adjusts double what the knob on the stereo does, or at least that is what I have seen

So when you go up or down one click on the steering wheel, it is like you are rotating the knob 2 cllicks on the stereo :dunno

There is no way of adjusting it

This is what my ears tell me; once on the wheel equals two on the radio.

gr330zhp
12-18-2010, 04:11 PM
This is what my ears tell me; once on the wheel equals two on the radio.

Haha yes :)

Tampa330i
12-18-2010, 08:35 PM
The speed volume thing - as in when you go faster, it gets louder and slower it gets softer? Didn't realize these cars did that. Mine does not.

mimalmo
12-18-2010, 08:52 PM
it probably does. You just need to find the settings for it in the radio menu.

Washburn
12-18-2010, 09:37 PM
the speaker logo has to be lit (on) for it to work. (above the ash tray)

Tampa330i
12-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Just checked the radio manual - no mention of this feature. Does anyone know how to change it?

Washburn
12-18-2010, 09:47 PM
I've come to realize that you can't do anything about this.

pyreguy
12-18-2010, 09:56 PM
The volume control can be adjusted, just not turned off. To adjust it, turn the radio off. Then turn it back on while holding down the 'M' on the right for 10 seconds, this will bring up the radio head serial #. Depress the '+' key until the word GAL appears, it should have a 3 next to it (normal factory preset). By using the station presets, you can choose a sensitivity level from 1 thru 6 1-min 6-max sensitivity. When through, turn the radio off again and it will be set.

mimalmo
12-18-2010, 09:59 PM
the speaker logo has to be lit (on) for it to work. (above the ash tray)

Not true from what I've seen. Do you have a manual or something that shows this?

Page 11 of the below PDF will walk you through the adjustment of the speed sensing volume.

http://www.linquist.net/system/files/BusinessCDradioforE462001to2004MY.pdf

Washburn
12-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Sorry I stand corrected about the "speaker: button.
Preguy - thanks - will try that.
To turn the radio off after setting, hit the vol. knob as usual, or keep the "M" button pressed?

EDIT: preguy: the procedure you described" is it to adjust the speed vol sensitivity? or the steering wheel button sensitivity? Just making sure.

pyreguy
12-18-2010, 10:08 PM
Its only for the speed volume. I did it and it makes the function hardly noticeable. The whole "radio turning itself louder and quieter based on speed" thing really REALLY annoys me.

To turn it off and save the new settings, just hit your volume knob and turn it off. You can immediately hit it again and turn it on and your new setting will be saved.

Washburn
12-18-2010, 10:22 PM
You don't need to do all that for the speed volume: just any time, even while driving, and the radio is on, hold the small "musical note" button (which you use to adjust treble, bass, etc) down until "speed vol" or "speed" appears on the radio display, then adjust using the - and + buttons, and then just wait and the display returns to normal and all is set.

You're right though - the difference is minimal.

pyreguy
12-18-2010, 11:05 PM
I will try that tomorrow! It's interesting how much there is to these factory stereos.

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Ima have to sit down and read all this. I have no idea what you guys are talking about.

mimalmo
12-19-2010, 07:10 AM
Read through that radio manual link that I posted to learn how adjust all sorts of stuff on the factory radio.

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 07:12 AM
OK.....thanks bro. Thats one area I haven't learned much about. I pretty much pop a cd in eeeeet and it plays...you know what I mean?

Tampa330i
12-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Same here. I really wish it could play mp3 cds so I had a bigger selection per disc. What I'd really like to do is grab the latest model dvd nav unit and throw that in the car. I'm happy with cds for now though :)

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Same here. I really wish it could play mp3 cds so I had a bigger selection per disc. What I'd really like to do is grab the latest model dvd nav unit and throw that in the car. I'm happy with cds for now though :)

Dynavin is what you want bro....

http://www.dynavin.com/

az3579
12-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Dynavin is what you want bro....

http://www.dynavin.com/

DICE iPod integration kit.
No more discussion.

mimalmo
12-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Or one of the newer Business radios that plays MP3 discs.

az3579
12-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Or one of the newer Business radios that plays MP3 discs.

MP3 CDs are soooo 2000's. :rolleyes

mimalmo
12-19-2010, 10:43 AM
That's what Tampa stated he wanted to do.

Washburn
12-19-2010, 03:17 PM
No more discussion.

Probably the most problem-laden kit ever - check out the dedicated threads on bimmerfest and E46fanatics and see how many people have troubles with it - full of bugs, battery disconnects, etc etc - too buggy to be trusted. Their marketing is very good so people think it's the best.
I got the USA Spec ipod int. kit and it's really solid and great sound quality (which, as I understand the DICE also lacks). I am very happy- the build quality is superb - all metal (Dice all plastic). worked from day 1 and still going great.

Check out this thread: it has a good comparison:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=701077
more info:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5049143
both threads have some nice videos that really shows how versatile and good the USA Spec is

zhp43867
12-19-2010, 06:01 PM
No more discussion.

http://www.meh.ro/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/meh.ro5776.jpg

Dice sucks...

You can buy a 2004+ production date CD53 for MP3 discs as was previously stated, you can buy the Dynavin V5 (totally OEM look, some firmware issues), or you can buy the only decent iPod integration kit for our cars, the USA-Spec PA-12. I've had both, DICE is terrible.

kayger12
12-19-2010, 06:06 PM
Very happy w/ the BMW aux mp3 setup...

Washburn
12-19-2010, 06:30 PM
The USA Spec does all that DICE does, text display, playlists, etc and has an AUX mode also - it's brilliant! I almost went with the OEM aux jack, but decided to try the USA Spec - so glad I did.

mimalmo
12-19-2010, 07:57 PM
Hmmmm.... might have to check into the USA Spec kit. I currently have the iSimple iPod integration piece but I'm looking for an upgrade.

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 08:15 PM
Not true from what I've seen. Do you have a manual or something that shows this?

Page 11 of the below PDF will walk you through the adjustment of the speed sensing volume.

http://www.linquist.net/system/files/BusinessCDradioforE462001to2004MY.pdf

Just got done reading. Thanks for posting Eli....

az3579
12-20-2010, 05:38 AM
lol
I was kidding about the DICE kit people. Humor doesn't work over the internet sometimes...

I was looking into the PA-12 kit, but I didn't see any mention of a dock on their site. It does come with one, or at least has the option, right? A dock is a MUST for me.

pyreguy
12-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Just to put this out there: When you press and hold your musical note button and adjust your speed volume sensitivity, you will have to reprogram all your saved stations...

Washburn
12-20-2010, 02:15 PM
That's how I did it, and all my stations remained where they were assigned ... (I have even changed the settings several times that way - never changed any presets - they just stayed put)

pyreguy
12-20-2010, 02:18 PM
You have a different head unit than I do since yours in an '05 I believe. Mine looks the same, but doesn't play mp3 discs like yours probably does. This may be another difference. Unless I am just wrong... LOL

Washburn
12-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Hmm That must be it - I have seen people selling 05+ head units on forums pretty cheap. If you're interested, might wanna keep an eye out...

pyreguy
12-20-2010, 02:51 PM
I'm not sure what I'm gonna do with this thing yet. I hate the way it sounds. Bavarian Sound Werks makes speaker and amp upgrades, so I'm thinking of giving them a shot. I would like to keep it as stock looking as possible, and I haven't decided how I'm gonna hook up my iPod either. I may upgrade to a Dynavin head unit. I'm not sure yet. I will worry about this next year. I may end up just doing the speakers and amp upgrades and getting an AUX jack and call it a day. Who knows...

mimalmo
12-20-2010, 03:18 PM
Here's a tip: If you have the HK system, turn off the little speaker button on the center console.

IMHO, it makes it sound worse. It may not be as loud but volume isn't everything.

danewilson77
12-20-2010, 03:32 PM
Ahhh......I have mine pushed in all the time.....I'll have to scheck it out.

mimalmo
12-20-2010, 04:09 PM
Dane, keep in mind that you'll probably need to re-adjust your bass & treble controls afterwards but, it is clearer sounding.

kayger12
12-20-2010, 05:43 PM
The HK speakers are definitely a disappointment. Bav Soundwerks speaker upgrade in my future as well, me thinks.

pyreguy
12-20-2010, 05:47 PM
I figured out turning the HK button off sounded better before I was even out of Memphis on the way home. Its like they just added a ton of mids and reverb to make the soundstage sound bigger. If you are playing anything with even a hint of distortion is sounds terrible.

I do wish I had better control of the sound besides bass and treble. An EQ would do wonders. The speakers are definitely the weak link though. They lack any definition and the whole thing just sounds muddy and flat. I am looking forward to doing something about this after the holidays.

Washburn
12-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Yeah the system is far from perfect, but I do think it's "decent:..I really think anyone who's thinking of the BMW aux, should really consider getting the USA Spec - very good sound, ipod interface and you still have AUX!

I am sort of an audiophile, and I think I have gotten used to tolerating most car audio systems, knowing that when i REALLY want to listen to music I can go home and listen to these: :)
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/252002.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b176/nishang/Ref-1007.jpg

MrMaico
12-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I noticed something on mine last winter.....I can turn on the radio at any time, no need to turn the key on. Can anyone else confirm if yours works the same?

Mtnman
12-26-2010, 01:56 PM
Yup. If u hit the power button, stereo comes on (for a time...fifteen minutes i think)

MrMaico
12-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Ok thanks.....I was pretty sure I had read it was normal but when I first noticed it it kinda spooked me thinking something might have been screwed up or had been screwed with somewhere in the electrics.

Jon D
12-27-2010, 05:03 PM
FWIW I looked at the bav soundweks option before I went full aftermarket, it is very pricy for what it is but an easy drop in. I ended up dropping about $2200 beforei was done and did upper midrange stuff. There is no comparison with factory HK stuff. Listen to lots of rock,jazz etc.

pyreguy
12-27-2010, 05:13 PM
I wish I could hear your setup in person...

Jon D
12-28-2010, 05:48 AM
I wish I could hear your setup in person...

Your welcome to stop by Ft. Lauderdale to hear. If schedule permits will try and make that meet on the 8th in Boca and later in the month Active Autowerke will have their open house which I'll probably attend as want to get a strut bar on sale.

But seriously you can get a feel by going to a higher end car audio shop that carries the better brands and listen to the difference between the various speakers, then depending how loud you want it it's amps and subs. I was limited with the vert cause there is no rear deck and the sub and amp needed to fit under the drop down the top goes in. With a sedan it's actually easier to get better sound than the vert. Looked up the invoice and I paid about $2K including install. I'm an ex-audiophile so I do know good systems when I hear them.