PDA

View Full Version : DICE iPod adapter experience

SoarinZHP
09-29-2011, 05:29 PM
Hey guys - I picked up a Dice Silverline Duo to get iPod use w/ my OEM navigation. I pulled the trunk lining, and plugged the main cable into the CD changer connector. Routed it behind the back seats, under the door sills and up the kick plate to the glove box. I plugged the Dice unit into the cable and put it in one of the cubbies behind the glove box. Next I plugged the ipod connecting cable in and routed it down the glove box, just behind the air duct and tucked the remaining cable in between the the trim for the center console. It become visible next to the rear cupholder.

At any rate... I read the manual, set the dip switches properly and followed the synching process to a T.

So far, I have had no problems whatsoever with it locking up or needing a reboot, etc. I was very hesitant to add it to my ZHP because of all the mixed reviews on the unit.

Having used it for about a week, I recommended it with the following caveat - follow the initial power up and synch process as stated in the manual... It's meeting my needs nicely.

johnrando
09-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Nice! Mine works just fine too. Have had it for 2+ years. Once in a blue moon I have to "reboot" it.

SoarinZHP
12-04-2011, 06:44 PM
Nearly 3 months later - it's safe to say that from my experience the Dice Silverline DUO is a piece of shit. Luckily the place I got it has a 90 day return policy. They can keep it.

Fried...

yura
12-05-2011, 07:11 PM
Nearly 3 months later - it's safe to say that from my experience the Dice Silverline DUO is a piece of shit. Luckily the place I got it has a 90 day return policy. They can keep it.

Fried...

My experience (http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=857486) was very similar. Minus the happy ending of returning the unit. Should have just burned the money; at least I would have enjoyed the warmth.

SoarinZHP
12-10-2011, 12:25 PM
Today was the big day to pull the DICE unit from the car. Disassemble the trunk liner, pull the cables from the changer connections and pull up the routing to the front of the car. When I got to the front of the car, I decided to check the fuses for S&G's - thinking a fuse might have blown when things wigged out. Nope. All fuses are a-ok. I continued pulling the glove box out and the rest of the cable leading to the connection point in the car - I ripped the piece of crap out and will be returning it later today. DICE should be ashamed of themselves for producing such garbage with promise.

While I had everything pulled apart I thought I'd check the connections on the antenna amplifier in the c-pillar. Everything looked ok but I pulled the connectors and cables to reseat them. Let me preface this by saying FM reception has always sucked in my car. I get back to the front of the car and turn on the radio. For the first time in my ZHP's life the seek button works and will actually stop at the next station. I am amazed....

johnrando
12-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Nice to have that reception back, I had the same thing happen with AM on mine. Too bad the Dice didn't work for you, I guess it's really hit or miss with those.

SoarinZHP
12-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Now it's going to be interesting trying to find something else - I have the BMW Nav system... So...

Taliben
12-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Try a grom unit. I just wired mine up yesterday and it works great.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

johnrando
12-15-2011, 08:47 PM
I've heard good things about USA-spec, but I've never looked into them so I don't know if it works w/Nav.

edlvrt
12-16-2011, 07:35 AM
I have a USA Spec in my X3. It worked wonderfully until some scum broke into my car and cut the iPod docking wire to seal my iPod. For whatever reason, the new wires I purchased from USA Spec will not charge it now, but other than that, it works fine. I navigate playlists and artists using the iPod controls, but you can use the steering wheel buttons to skip tracks and change volume. Two thumbs up.

SoarinZHP
12-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Somewhere along the line there was a change to the connector/iPod as to where the charging pin was. Some systems are compatible with older ipods and others only work with phones and new ipods... I hear there is a converting you can get from Belkin to remedy the charging issue...

Does the USA spec work the BMW's stock navigation? Everything I've read says no.

tripod06
12-30-2011, 11:50 AM
i have a DICE now! but i dont have the cable that connects it from the DICE unit to the CD Changer spot :( its so hard to find just that cable for sale.

quikryptonite
01-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I bought my car in March of 2011 and there was a DICE system (ice link plus is what it says on my owner's manual) already installed. In the middle of December all of my electrical systems went Kerplooie and after some problems and diagnosis

In this thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5801-Help!-I-ve-got-electrical-problems.-Faulty-instrument-cluster.&p=135279#post135279

The tech said that the DICE unit was causing all of the issues and when he removed it, everything returned to normal. I am going to be looking at a SPEC USA unit for now, but I will definitely be doing a lot of research before I buy anything.

sna77
05-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Now it's going to be interesting trying to find something else - I have the BMW Nav system... So...

Sorry to bump an old post, but if you have OEM Nav, you simply must be using the Intravee II. Nothing comes close:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=679659

http://www.bigpatsfans.com/iv2/13.JPG

NorCalZman
05-17-2012, 05:59 AM
They're not available from a US source anymore because alpine stopped making the KCA adapter

sna77
05-17-2012, 06:22 AM
who cares? Both units are readily available online from the UK, and nothing else comes close in terms of functionality.

martin_85bg
07-12-2013, 09:28 AM
Hi, I didn't want to open a new thread that's way I think its proper to write here.
What happened is that I have Dice Silverline installed already in my car, it was like that when I bought it.I read the thread with the MKIV AUX but if I have this thing maybe there should be an easier way to have an AUX in my car.
So I was looking for some kind of a cable on ebay and that's what I bought.And the seller told me to connect it with the "SC tuner only" and select AUX from the OEM Navi, but I don't have AUX option there is only Ipod which I consider is the same....but there is no sound at all.Am I doing something wrong, is it the wrong cable ? :help

martin_85bg
07-12-2013, 09:30 AM
...and also when I plug it where is the "Ipod Conn." its working but the sound is like echo and there is no bass...very poor

martin_85bg
07-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Anyone any ideas? :dunno

NorCal-Dimitri
12-08-2013, 03:02 PM
When I bought my zhp it already had one installed. Unfortunately I keep all my music on my phone, which is an android. So, I bought an old 2gb ipod nano with a screen that doesn't work for $5. Other than that hassle, I've had zero problems with it. I did notice one thing though; when there isn't any music playing, or when the music is quiet, there is a high pitch tone that I can hear. It gets higher as I pick up rpm's, and goes lower when they drop. Has anyone else noticed this?

johnrando
12-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Mine had it, but then Dice fixed it and it went away. When I went to the TMS underdrive pulleys, it came back. You just can't hear it with the music on so it doesn't bother me too much - wouldn't mind not having it though. Just "feedback" crossing onto the wires.