PDA

View Full Version : Chick cars??

jjcools
12-18-2010, 10:09 PM
So, the last 3 Zhps I have seen had chicks driving them. Am I driving a chick car? :)

My wife was totally making fun of me earlier, it's not like I bought an IS 250 or an SLK.
:o

Good times!

az3579
12-18-2010, 10:14 PM
I just think that the ZHPs are bought by those "high end" chicks. It's like the woman I know who drives a 760Li x-drive, the most expensive BMW sold today (street car I mean).
I think they just drive it for the exclusivity.

jjcools
12-18-2010, 10:16 PM
It is odd that people buy cars that they know nothing about. I guess a couple might know but I am pretty sure the few a saw had no idea since the cars were not really immaculate.

Washburn
12-18-2010, 10:25 PM
Most chicks I know only know the make (not even the model or the yr, unless they just got it), no. of doors, and the color of their cars :)

Marcus-SanDiego
12-18-2010, 10:27 PM
There is no way around it. Girls gravitate toward beautiful cars.

jjcools
12-18-2010, 10:53 PM
Crap, I better sell it then! :)

Tampa330i
12-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Most common chick cars I see are vw jetta, mitsu eclipse, honda civic. Only seen 1 other zhp in person, and I couldn't see who was driving it.

Alphatek45
12-19-2010, 06:24 AM
I think the chicks, with cash, that like the 3 series ended up in a ZHP simply because it was another 4 grand to add to the price tag. More is better.

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 06:51 AM
You guys are driving chicks cars on the Left Coast...but out here on Beast Coast....Men still rule these...

mimalmo
12-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Never seen a girl driving one in the midwest. Only in California have I seen that.

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 07:04 AM
Its a Cali thing.....

ZSP-Mafia
12-19-2010, 09:04 AM
I think the chicks, with cash, that like the 3 series ended up in a ZHP simply because it was another 4 grand to add to the price tag. More is better.

^this. Which is fine with me, because they'll soon tire of it and sell it to me :)

zhpnsnv
12-19-2010, 09:07 AM
I work in an upper-class area and live near one, too. Most ZHPs I see are piloted by women. My car has a clone in my town, owned by a woman.

That means I own two chick cars - E46 and MINI. This is me caring whether or not people think a car is better suited to a gender or another:

SC4ME
12-19-2010, 09:18 AM
Not so sure the reason is that its a chick car as it is that we have knowledgeable chicks who are car enthusiasts who gravitate to a great car.

Thats my line and Im stickin with it!!

adb1028
12-19-2010, 09:23 AM
I think the E46 in general attracts women drivers, not because of what the car looks like, but because of the name. I generally see more women driving BMW's then men.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-19-2010, 09:26 AM
I work in an upper-class area and live near one, too. Most ZHPs I see are piloted by women. My car has a clone in my town, owned by a woman.

That means I own two chick cars - E46 and MINI. This is me caring whether or not people think a car is better suited to a gender or another:

I don't see anything after the punctuation mark (colon), zhp. Were you going to post something after that?

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 10:03 AM

1. I really don't care...cuz my ZHP makes me cool.
2. I really, really don't care because it is, relatively speaking, a very fuel efficient car (while pushing glasses with tape on the nose bridge, up his nose).
3. My wife/gf loves me moar cuz I have a ZHP.
4. I emulate Marcus, and he has one.

Fix'd

thesixsins
12-19-2010, 11:05 AM
The last 3 m3's I've seen were piloted by women... Two of which were really old.

Washburn
12-19-2010, 03:53 PM
No Bimmers on the top-10 list :)
http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-picks/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=24401893

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 04:00 PM
Damn.....JW77 is gonna be pissed.

adb1028
12-19-2010, 04:04 PM
No Bimmers on the top-10 list :)
http://autos.ca.msn.com/editors-picks/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=24401893

I don't think the MB C-class and Mini Cooper should be on there

Washburn
12-19-2010, 04:18 PM
Yeah the C class being there is a bit weird.
Not the Mini cooper though - I know about 3 chicks who drive one (well 1 of them i know OF) - they all think it's CUUUUTE! Yep - definitely a mega-chick car.

zhpnsnv
12-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't see anything after the punctuation mark (colon), zhp. Were you going to post something after that?

No, I meant to have nothing there. As in, this is me caring: I don't.

Dane's additions, while interesting, aren't mine.

zhpnsnv
12-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Not the Mini cooper though - I know about 3 chicks who drive one (well 1 of them i know OF) - they all think it's CUUUUTE! Yep - definitely a mega-chick car.

I think ZHPs with autos are chick cars. :eeps

Discuss...

adb1028
12-19-2010, 04:31 PM

Eh, I disagree. Women do drive them and think they're "CUTE!" but I don't think it makes it a "chick car". Maybe its just me, I think Mini's are awesome. I'd love to own one.

Washburn
12-19-2010, 04:33 PM
Discuss...
Ha - i am always ready for the auto bashing :) that pops up in all "manly" automobile forums :D
I'd love to have a manual, and for about the 34th time: my daily commute involves a LOT of stop and go traffic, it would be a real PITA to drive a manual in that crap, AND in case of an emergency, I want my wife to be able to drive my car and she cannot operate a manual transmission.

Mtnman
12-19-2010, 04:43 PM
mine is auto, and pretty sure im not a chick... but chicks do like to ride in m car!:biggrin:biggrin:biggrin

Marcus-SanDiego
12-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Ha - i am always ready for the auto bashing :) that pops up in all "manly" automobile forums :D
I'd love to have a manual, and for about the 34th time: my daily commute involves a LOT of stop and go traffic, it would be a real PITA to drive a manual in that crap, AND in case of an emergency, I want my wife to be able to drive my car and she cannot operate a manual transmission.

I've always thought this explanation works. If I had that situation, I'd have an auto. Still, if you must have an auto, you did it with panache.

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 05:24 PM

Discuss...

+1...I would tend to agree with that.

zhpnsnv
12-19-2010, 05:25 PM

haha yea I'm just messing with ya - no need for _anyone_ to explain the choices they make with their money, especially considering the ridiculousness of a moniker such as "chick car," as if it's bad to be a woman.

And we wonder why we have no female members! haha

danewilson77
12-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I've always thought this explanation works. If I had that situation, I'd have an auto. Still, if you must have an auto, you did it with panache.

My TiAg was an auto.....and TBH I miss it somedays...in the traffic.

Pooters
12-19-2010, 05:36 PM
It's not a convertible, so we are safe.

Pooters
12-19-2010, 05:53 PM
My TiAg was an auto.....and TBH I miss it somedays...in the traffic.

I told myself before I bought my ZHP that I was going to get an automatic. Sometimes I'm sad I didn't. Every damn vehicle I've owned has been manual, I just want to know what it's like to be lazy while driving : /

pyreguy
12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
^its boring. There, I helped :biggrin

az3579
12-20-2010, 03:06 AM

+2000.

zhpnsnv
12-20-2010, 08:09 AM

I guess we're destined to go this route in the discussion. I bought an auto 323i off a family member because of commuting concerns and because I was _heavily_ tracking my MINI at the time. I thought it'd be better for the commute, and for the most part, I was right. I did enjoy the relaxation of it most of the time, say 90% since I do so much daily driving that's not really interesting or stimulating.

That said, the 10% is why I got rid of it and will not go back to auto in the near future. I don't make car decisions logically, and I realize it's disingenuous to try to make them seem as such. I'm a fan, which can be related to fanatic, as well as an enthusiast. I love driving; I love driving cars that help me love driving more. As sensible as the auto was at the time, it went in the face of what I really value in the experience of driving.

But there's the rub - we all value different aspects of the experience of driving. The one thing that's true is that we're all enthusiasts; surely there's no _right_ place to point one's enthusiasm, be it a "chick" car or an automatic transmission.

/political correctness

I hated driving that freaking automatic every time I felt the need to be sporting.

pyreguy
12-20-2010, 02:07 PM
I have owned two automatics, both trucks. I always felt like something was missing while driving. And I hated going to press the clutch when starting it only to be reminded that I only had two pedals. I never got used to that.

I guess I have never been bothered by having to clutch while in traffic either. Its just part of the deal, and I accept it. That seems to be the only complaint I ever hear about a standard. Maybe when I get older and my knees start to give me problems, I may decide it's not worth it anymore. But until that day I will shift my own cars.

And I don't think less of anyone who goes the automatic route. I may talk trash, but its all in fun. If it makes you love your car more, then go for it! I am glad that you are happy. It's just not for me.

DESANT
12-20-2010, 02:50 PM
All my cars before ZHP were manual. My wife almost killed the clutch on Audi so I decided to buy a car with auto so she could drive to work, shopping and …… when I am drunk. Was trying to drive it on manual mode, felt awkward, left leg was looking for a clutch, didn’t like it, changed back in to auto mode and enjoyed the rest of my coffee.

johnnye23
12-20-2010, 03:29 PM
It's a chick car at my house, I hope she lets me borrow it once in awhile !:mwah

Marcus-SanDiego
12-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Johnny, just don't steal it. Haha. Borrow it a lot.

az3579
12-20-2010, 04:15 PM
All my cars before ZHP were manual. My wife almost killed the clutch on Audi so I decided to buy a car with auto so she could drive to work, shopping and …… when I am drunk. Was trying to drive it on manual mode, felt awkward, left leg was looking for a clutch, didn’t like it, changed back in to auto mode and enjoyed the rest of my coffee.

While it's nice to have a manual shift mode, the shifts take way too long from the time you flick the selector into + or - to the point where it actually does something. Flick, and about half a second later it shifts. That's far too much time, IMO. In some cases I saw it takes longer than that, maybe not in a ZHP though.

I've finally reached the point where I would actually consider a DCT tranny. Up until today I've been 100% against anything with a clutch.
The only reason for being up for a DCT is that it shifts friggen quick and I could theoretically just stay in manual mode 100% of the time due to the paddles. If it didn't have paddles, I'd be annoyed by not having a clutch when I'm reaching down for the lever...

Mtnman
12-20-2010, 04:53 PM
The delay Is in the zhp's too. It shifts fast as hell by itself though. Fyi.

DESANT
12-21-2010, 04:48 PM
While it's nice to have a manual shift mode, the shifts take way too long from the time you flick the selector into + or - to the point where it actually does something. Flick, and about half a second later it shifts. That's far too much time, IMO. In some cases I saw it takes longer than that, maybe not in a ZHP though.

I've finally reached the point where I would actually consider a DCT tranny. Up until today I've been 100% against anything with a clutch.
The only reason for being up for a DCT is that it shifts friggen quick and I could theoretically just stay in manual mode 100% of the time due to the paddles. If it didn't have paddles, I'd be annoyed by not having a clutch when I'm reaching down for the lever...

I wish somebody would write more about their DCT experience. I think in the near future most car manufacturers will have DCT as an option. As for me I wouldn't like to shift with paddles and have both hands on the steering wheel at all time, where is the manual shifter is feels more natural, paddles would make more sense on the truck.

Mtnman
12-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I drove my buddies m3 with the paddles... it was an 03-04 (maybe?) but it was one of the earlier offerings of paddle shifters. I didnt like it. It was jerky and hard to operate smoothly. I only drove it for a few minutes, but he said the same thing. Im pretty sure BMW improved it shortly after that though, so this might be outdated "knowledge".

Maximus57
12-21-2010, 07:05 PM
The wifes Infiniti G37. It's a nice car, but I feel funny when wants me to drive it, get gas in it, wash it,

az3579
12-21-2010, 07:56 PM
I drove my buddies m3 with the paddles... it was an 03-04 (maybe?) but it was one of the earlier offerings of paddle shifters. I didnt like it. It was jerky and hard to operate smoothly. I only drove it for a few minutes, but he said the same thing. Im pretty sure BMW improved it shortly after that though, so this might be outdated "knowledge".

That is the SMG transmission, which is far inferior to a DCT transmission. BMW's SMG transmissions aren't known for being smooth.

Mtnman
12-22-2010, 07:15 AM
^Makes sense. Cause as much as i liked the m3, i woulndn't have owned that car. That tranny sucked. That was 5 years ago at least, so pardon my ignorance! it was before i was fulled bmw versed.....

DESANT
12-22-2010, 02:53 PM
^Makes sense. Cause as much as i liked the m3, i woulndn't have owned that car. That tranny sucked. That was 5 years ago at least, so pardon my ignorance! it was before i was fulled bmw versed.....

Here some info, now it is also available for M3
"In January 2008, BMW introduced a dual clutch transmission for their M3 model, manufactured by Getrag and dubbed M Dual Clutch Transmission (M DCT). The same transmission is used in the second generation Z4 (the Sdrive35i version), and is an available option on the 335is and later 135i builds".

INDY|UND3RGROUND
01-02-2011, 08:25 AM
That reminds me... I saw a grandma at the gas station at least 60-70 years old filling up her black e92 M3.... I was just assuming she didn't know what the hell an m3 was but it was the most expensive 3series on the lot and she had to have it...?

Marcus-SanDiego
01-02-2011, 08:41 AM
That's great. E92 M3=grandma car. FTW.

Washburn
01-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Was the grandma hot? ;)

kayger12
01-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Valid question.

Marcus-SanDiego
01-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Especially if she's a young grandma.

Scenario: mother has daughter when she's 18. Daughter has a child when she turns 19. Grandma is 37. Meow.

Washburn
01-03-2011, 02:08 PM
RRRrrrrooowwrrr !!! :P

pyreguy
01-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Older women FTW

INDY|UND3RGROUND
05-24-2011, 02:21 PM
Well.. As I pull up to the light I see a nice greyish/sand colored Nissan gtr, as soon as I get up to the driver side window i couldn't believe what I saw.. A grey haired lady/grandma driving it! I don't know what's up with older ladies driving high performance automobiles in Indiana but I was more than surprised...

Cadeez
05-24-2011, 02:33 PM
I know I'm coming in late here but I have to agree with the OP's 'chick car' questioning. I've seen a few ZHP's out here and most are piloted buy guys...except for the verts! Every single ZHP vert I've seen (~3 or so) was driven by an uppity looking business woman. None of which flinched when my steed rolled by, which means they aren't car fanatics, just wanted an expensive bimmer vert.

And as to the second piece of this regarding the granny's/women/cougars etc...younger women FTW!! I think we all know that I'm a fan haha...

M0nk3y
05-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Lol, that's the truth Jeff ;)

Don't worry guys...at least people don't call your car a hairdressers car :(

spencers
05-24-2011, 02:55 PM
I think the E46 in general attracts women drivers, not because of what the car looks like, but because of the name. I generally see more women driving BMW's then men.

Totally agreed.
My sister and mother both drive E46s!

johnrando
05-26-2011, 08:10 AM
I know I'm coming in late here but I have to agree with the OP's 'chick car' questioning. I've seen a few ZHP's out here and most are piloted buy guys...except for the verts! Every single ZHP vert I've seen (~3 or so) was driven by an uppity looking business woman. None of which flinched when my steed rolled by, which means they aren't car fanatics, just wanted an expensive bimmer vert.

And as to the second piece of this regarding the granny's/women/cougars etc...younger women FTW!! I think we all know that I'm a fan haha...

Hey, don't be dissin' us dudes who own VERTS! :-) It might be like that up there, but here, VERT are driven by both sexes equally.

kpro
05-26-2011, 10:03 AM
My E46...definately a chic car.

...with the correct number of pedals ;)

billschusteriv
05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
Your car a chick car? Nah...

I think a college frat boy could rock your car... Pink stickers and all...

http://3432-stoollala.voxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/pink-polo.jpg

VA//M3
05-26-2011, 11:09 AM
I saw a woman in her mid 30's driving around in a e46 m3 convertible the other day...

Jorge86
05-26-2011, 11:15 AM
I just saw a lady driving a new mustang Shelby gt500.She looked so badass.

VA//M3
05-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Drove a 2010 e90 m3 with a dct. With MDM mode on it lets you select an extra level of clutch engagement i believe there is 6 as opposed to 5. Anyways set to 6 and in mdm the up shifting is insane! it wants to break the rear tires loose on every single upshift and it pushes the car forward as well. and on downshifts it PERFECTLY rev matches. on the flipside if you set the DCT to the lowest speed level the shifts are undescernible it almost feels as if the car has one long gear and on downshifts it does not rev-match instead it slips the clutch and engine brakes which is why my cousin drives on 5 since its not as harsh as 6 but it rev- matches on downshifts thus saving the clutch.

The SMG/SMGII doesn't hold a candle to the DCT found in the e90 M3's.

What makes the DCT superior is that it has 2 input shafts. and doesn't have a hydraulically operated slave and shifter fork inside the transmission like the smg's.

All the DCT does is switch between input shafts. For example gears 1,3,5,7 are on one input shaft and 2,4,6 and reverse are on the second input shaft. it's as quick as sliding them over. in other words the DCT is essentially two manual transmissions in one housing working in tandem (odd and even gears handled by each unit) thereby shortening the time it takes for the electrohydrualics to actuate the clutch. Ends up being smoother and faster.

Where as the SMG is a electrohydraulic manual transmission; so basically hydraulics actuate the single clutch

If i had unlimited funds and time I would find a way to stick a DCT into my e46 >:)

Cadeez
05-27-2011, 10:54 AM
Hey, don't be dissin' us dudes who own VERTS! :-) It might be like that up there, but here, VERT are driven by both sexes equally.

Haha I figured you might have something to say about that comment John! No disrespect to you of course, SoCal is a far cry from OR, everyone has them down there. I speak the truth though, having a convertible in the Pacific NW is just plain ridiculous, for anyone. But I'll say at least 75% of verts, if not 80%+ are driven by women up here, just how it goes. I work with a woman who has a mulberry 911 vert, not a huge fan of the color, but yes I hate her haha.