PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Cover Lens

das boots
10-03-2011, 09:12 AM
Anybody done this before? A long term project that one of these days that I might have to replace both lenses. If anybody done a write up on this please point it out. Are the lenses easy to disassemble? Looks like parts #1, #9 & #15 need to be replaced. The lenses also state under Supplement ZKW & AL. What are they? My ZHP looks like it has been under the sun too long and the plastic lens has some oxidation. And looks like specks of dust inside the lenses. Would require a good cleaning. BTW, I got part #16. A Headlight Repair Kit. (Same one Gary received as door prize). Supposedly clears out oxidation. Ha! They don't work. Ask me how I know. Thanks.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=63_0472&hg=63&fg=05

mikeyb74
10-03-2011, 09:22 AM
ZKW and AL are the two manufacturers BMW used for e46 high lamps. It is pretty easy to replace the lens. Do you own the Bentley e46 repair manual? Here is a link to bentley publishers video regarding e46 lens replacement.

https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/display/tech/BMW+3+Series+E46+Headlight+assembly+and+lens,+repl acing

danewilson77
10-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Super easy. Just get the lenses from Khoa or Bimmian....

zj96sc
10-03-2011, 09:55 AM
I just did this Saturday. I didn't take any pictures of the process but I guess I should've.

Do you have a sedan? If so, its very simple. Coupe i guess you have to bake them to open them up which sounds like a PITA.

There are 4 bolts holding in the headlight, 2 will require a magnetic pickup to retrieve.

Then snap out the trim piece below the headlight, attached inboard on the headlight itself, outboard to the quarterpanel. If you've got headlight washers this gets a little fiddly, but the trim piece plus headlight will slide forward together and can be unclipped from each other.

At this point, push the headlight aft a little to get it unclipped from the trim piece, and then remove the whole assembly. Fair warning, if you yank the trim piece plus the washer nozzle too far forward, all your washer fluid will puke out. Ask me how I know.

Once the headlight is out, you unclip #9. Once #9 is unclipped, you unclip #15. Replace, reassemble, done.

Great DIY on youtube:

http://youtu.be/17qK-Ji7cNM

edit: actually shows it being done without removing the headlight. works if you dont have headlight washers.

I bought new OEM ZKW covers from bmw part store for $85 ea. Khoalty at $72 for the pair is enough to make my eye twitch.

das boots
10-03-2011, 10:16 AM
Super easy. Just get the lenses from Khoa or Bimmian....

Dane...Khoa's lens are the same as OE? Mikey..Thanks for the site. I will be getting a Bentley's soon. One of my to-do list. ZJ, great youtube. So, do I have a AL or ZKW? I still don't know what or where are they pertained to......Is one better than the other?

zj96sc
10-03-2011, 10:31 AM
is khoa khoalty? Their website made me raise a bit of an eyebrow...their sidebar says "manufactured by: Bosch" and then in the body of the text it says "quality equivalent to Bosch."

Do you have a sedan or coupe? Is this for the M3 in your info?

I think for the most part, sedans got ZKWs and coupes got ALs. Both are brands used by BMW for the E46.

mikeyb74
10-03-2011, 10:32 AM
Dane...Khoa's lens are the same as OE? Mikey..Thanks for the site. I will be getting a Bentley's soon. One of my to-do list. ZJ, great youtube. So, do I have a AL or ZKW? I still don't know what or where are they pertained to......Is one better than the other?

As long as the lens are either ZKW or AL/Bosch. I've seen Hella branded lens in the past. You are welcome on the link. I've had the lens off and on so many times on my e46 and a on a couple of friends I can do it in my sleep.

Look at your headlight lens. Do you see ZKW or AL on them? So you will order what the lens is.

mikeyb74
10-03-2011, 10:34 AM
is khoa khoalty? There website made me raise a bit of an eyebrow...their sidebar says "manufactured by: Bosch" and then in the body of the text it says "quality equivalent to Bosch."

Do you have a sedan or coupe? Is this for the M3 in your info?

I think for the most part, sedans got ZKWs and coupes got ALs.

So their lens can be reps of Bosch/AL or ZKW. I know I sell either ZKW or AL/Bosch here at work.

das boots
10-03-2011, 10:54 AM
As long as the lens are either ZKW or AL/Bosch. I've seen Hella branded lens in the past. You are welcome on the link. I've had the lens off and on so many times on my e46 and a on a couple of friends I can do it in my sleep.

Look at your headlight lens. Do you see ZKW or AL on them? So you will order what the lens is.

I will look at what the lens would state. But does it matter if I purchase a ZKW or AL? It looks like the ZKW is more expensive than AL. I got a sedan

mikeyb74
10-03-2011, 10:59 AM
I will look at what the lens would state. But does it matter if I purchase a ZKW or AL? It looks like the ZKW is more expensive than AL. I got a sedan

You need to buy the brand of the lens on your car. I do not think they are swappable.

zj96sc
10-03-2011, 11:03 AM
If you have a sedan i'll bet lunch you've got ZKWs. I've heard that AL made sedan assemblies but I've never seen one.

mikeyb74
10-03-2011, 11:04 AM
I've seen both.

das boots
10-03-2011, 11:19 AM
You need to buy the brand of the lens on your car. I do not think they are swappable.

Would it show just right on top of the lens? I remember there were numbers.....but was not paying attention to ZKW or AL.

zj96sc
10-03-2011, 11:20 AM
Very inboard lower corner it will be stamped on the lens.

das boots
10-03-2011, 11:21 AM
I will check it out when I get home. Thanks.

zj96sc
10-03-2011, 12:07 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/paulkeith/cars/Silbergrau_ZHP/IMG_0540Large.jpg

That's one of my new ZKW lenses, you can just make out the stamp in the bottom left corner.

cakM3
10-03-2011, 04:53 PM
you will either have AL or ZKW at the bottom inner corner of the lens like the one pictured above being ZKW.

das boots
10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j234/paulkeith/cars/Silbergrau_ZHP/IMG_0540Large.jpg

That's one of my new ZKW lenses, you can just make out the stamp in the bottom left corner.

I found the small oval ZKW on the lens when I got home. Now I know what to order. No Repos. No Depos....only OE.

danewilson77
10-03-2011, 05:44 PM
Did AL make lenses?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Marcus-SanDiego
10-03-2011, 06:51 PM
^^ Yes. My ZHP had AL lenses.

Hermes
10-03-2011, 07:25 PM
I will be getting a Bentley's soon.

if you have an older computer just download/install the Technical Information System from this thread

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4576-DIY-TIS-07-ENG-GER-Download

titaniumair
10-04-2011, 05:08 PM
I bought a pair of lenses from Khoalty. I was actually very impressed with the quality and fitment...even more so considering the cost savings. The ZKW and AL lenses should be interchangeable. It's the actual projector assemblies that differ. If you have headlight washers like I do, you do not need to remove the headlight from the car to swap out the lenses. There is more than enough room to pull out the lower trim piece with the attached washer to unclip the lense. A good tip when installing new lenses is to use a q-tip and dip it in any all purpose cleaner and use it to clean out the headlight lense gasket. I did this and I've had no problems with condensation inside the lenses, even in the heaviest of downpours.

danewilson77
10-04-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks Titanium

das boots
10-04-2011, 06:00 PM
I bought a pair of lenses from Khoalty. I was actually very impressed with the quality and fitment...even more so considering the cost savings. The ZKW and AL lenses should be interchangeable. It's the actual projector assemblies that differ. If you have headlight washers like I do, you do not need to remove the headlight from the car to swap out the lenses. There is more than enough room to pull out the lower trim piece with the attached washer to unclip the lense. A good tip when installing new lenses is to use a q-tip and dip it in any all purpose cleaner and use it to clean out the headlight lense gasket. I did this and I've had no problems with condensation inside the lenses, even in the heaviest of downpours.

Would you remember the price of the lenses from Khoalty? Did you specify during your purchase that you were looking for either ZKW or AL?

danewilson77
10-04-2011, 06:20 PM
Would you remember the price of the lenses from Khoalty? Did you specify during your purchase that you were looking for either ZKW or AL?

They are depo.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mikeyb74
10-05-2011, 05:39 AM
They are depo.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Good reason not to buy them. I so dislike the Depo P46s I have. Can't wait to go back to stock headlamps.

zj96sc
10-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Yeah, the price is much higher but I'm pretty happy I have oem plastic in there.

danewilson77
10-05-2011, 07:45 AM
Good reason not to buy them. I so dislike the Depo P46s I have. Can't wait to go back to stock headlamps.

Naa...then lenses are fine. I have them. I burn through a set about once a year regardless of who makes them.

HokieZHP
10-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Naa...then lenses are fine. I have them. I burn through a set about once a year regardless of who makes them.

Once a year? Do they crack on you or what? That seems like a really short life for lenses.

az3579
10-05-2011, 10:17 AM

Lamin-X should help extend the life of your lenses.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

mikeyb74
10-05-2011, 11:55 AM

You do what? Tailgate much?

das boots
10-05-2011, 11:57 AM

Thanks for your observation. This makes me feel better on my decison to purchase stock. Might be more, but I know they are stock.

danewilson77
10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Once a year? Do they crack on you or what? That seems like a really short life for lenses.

They just get sandblasted.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

danewilson77
10-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks for your observation. This makes me feel better on my decison to purchase stock. Might be more, but I know they are stock.

The lenses themselves won't last any better.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mikeyb74
10-05-2011, 12:04 PM
They just get sandblasted.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Invest in a set of urethane headlight shields. I have a set on mine.

das boots
10-05-2011, 12:11 PM

I heard about that. Will definitely check out BavAuto. I did those on my E30 M3 smoked headlights & foglights.

danewilson77
10-05-2011, 12:20 PM

Link?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mikeyb74
10-05-2011, 12:24 PM
I heard about that. Will definitely check out BavAuto. I did those on my E30 M3 smoked headlights & foglights.

That's where my shields came from.

Link?

You and your links...I don't have a link.

danewilson77
10-05-2011, 12:39 PM
That's where my shields came from.

You and your links...I don't have a link.

Mmm......

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

az3579
10-05-2011, 02:17 PM
Here you go, DW:
H2114 S for smoked
H2114 for clear

That is the part # you enter in the search box on the BavAuto site. You know how you can't link; you always have to select your car, etc.
This is as good as it gets on that site. :)

Family Search, FTW.

danewilson77
10-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Thanks for doing the leg work, BP.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

danewilson77
10-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for doing the leg work, BP.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Lol....$55.00? Omg. Now I know why I do, what I do.

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights/headlight-lens-replacement.html

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hermes
10-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Here you go, DW:
H2114 S for smoked
H2114 for clear

That is the part # you enter in the search box on the BavAuto site. You know how you can't link; you always have to select your car, etc.
This is as good as it gets on that site. :)

I get annoyed about that, why doesnt it ever save my car...

mikeyb74
10-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Lol....$55.00? Omg. Now I know why I do, what I do.

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lights/headlight-lens-replacement.html

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

That $55 bucks also includes the parking lights and fogs. They will price match as well.

I get annoyed about that, why doesnt it ever save my car...

It will save your car if you create an account.

zj96sc
10-06-2011, 05:19 AM
Or buy the same thing from lamin-x for $39. 12mil polyvinyl, 40 mil available for the fogs.

I picked up a set yesterday to protect my expensive OEM covers and sprung for some yellow fog covers while I was at it :)

http://www.lamin-x.com/BMW-E46-Sedan-02-05-Headlight-Covers-p/b011.htm

das boots
10-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Why the difference on the Clear Foggies with 12 & 40 mil? Would thickenss make any difference? BTW, great price. But is it the same plastic urethane as BavAuto? Let us know when they arrive and on the feel of the plastic. Thanks for the website. Since it is a better price, I might end up using this.

zj96sc
10-06-2011, 05:49 AM
They probably offer 40mil for the fogs for additional impact protection given their lower location. Purely conjecture though.

I'm not a materials guy, but BavAuto is urethane and Lamin-X is polyvinyl. If someone wants to chime in on the intricacies of plastic structures.......?

I've had lamin-x on 2 cars before and been VERY happy with their product. Easy to apply, glossy, holds up well. It is breathable as well so air bubbles eventually gas out.

das boots
10-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Thanks. What is that UV Protectant? Does it help?

mikeyb74
10-06-2011, 05:59 AM
I've purchased acouple of sets of headlight shields from Bavauto. One was from Xpel and the other was Lamin-x.

aurelius
10-06-2011, 06:45 AM
What is that UV Protectant? Does it help?

Keeps the film from turning yellow due to ultraviolet radiation exposure (ie the sun).

Would you remember the price of the lenses from Khoalty?

According to Post #4, $72 for the pair.

das boots
10-06-2011, 07:15 AM
Keeps the film from turning yellow due to ultraviolet radiation exposure (ie the sun).

Do we wipe this on prior to putting the Lamin-X film or after? Aren't we suppose to protect the lens itself? If it is for the film only, then when it turns yellow just buy another set of film.....

danewilson77
10-06-2011, 07:26 AM

According to Post #4, $72 for the pair.

Or post #42..theres a link right to em...

aurelius
10-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Seems the real question here is this:

So you buy the OE headlight covers for roughly $200. Plus a protective laminate, Lamin-X brand or other.

20-50k miles later, the laminate has been sand blasted and looks like your original lenses did.

Ok, so replace the laminate, right?

Maybe, I don't know. How hard is it to remove and how much adhesive residue needs to be cleaned off the lenses themselves, if any?

Anyone who has replaced just the laminate itself, please chime in.

If laminate replacement is essentially non-viable, I'm with DW & going with the $72 after market lenses that are known to fit well and are easy to install, at least on the sedan.

It's a sacrificial piece, meant to protect the lamps themselves. As long as they're optically clear, works for me.

mikeyb74
10-06-2011, 08:01 AM
The $50 laminate protects your lamps. :)

danewilson77
10-06-2011, 08:03 AM
The $50 laminate protects your lamps. :)

Lol...no!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mikeyb74
10-06-2011, 09:46 AM
Lol...no!

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I was a passenger in a e36 m3 that hit a large dog at 65mph. The shields kept the glass of both the headlight and foglamp together. I wish I still had the pics of the lights.

danewilson77
10-06-2011, 01:48 PM
I was a passenger in a e36 m3 that hit a large dog at 65mph. The shields kept the glass of both the headlight and foglamp together. I wish I still had the pics of the lights.

Lol....nice. Understand now.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-09-2011, 07:23 PM
I noticed that since ZKW & AL are used for lens covers, does it matter if both are interchangeable? The price for a ZKW cost more than AL. So, why does it cost more if either of them would fit? Anything special for each????

zj96sc
10-10-2011, 03:57 AM
do you have a link/pic of AL sedan lenses?

das boots
10-10-2011, 06:52 AM
do you have a link/pic of AL sedan lenses?

No link. Just comparing prices with RealOEM.