PDA

View Full Version : Stereo remodel

ryrules1
10-04-2011, 12:26 PM
Well I am already contemplating my first mod and I have only had the car for 2 weeks, go figure. So far I have done:

Oil & Filter
Spark Plugs
Diff & Transmission Fluid --- After reading the review I am going with RP syncomax and RP Gear oil
Brake Fluid -- ATE Super Blue
DICE 1530 w/ BlueTooth

So onto the stereo. The car came with the Business CD player and some weird IPOD connection. I don't know who makes the connection, but it is a white cord and has pretty much zilch options for on screen, it doesn't even display the song.
I have BMW assist but no bluetooth. Have SOS button on mirror, but when I push the Voice icon on the steering wheel nothing happens. Also ripped out the rear liner last week and could not find a bluetooth box.
Anyways I really love bluetooth, but don't really care for nav. What are my options? Its hard to justify paying $400 bucks for the OEM bluetooth box when I can just buy a dynavin for $600 and have nav as well.

Your thought would be appreciated :)

Posted it here because I will be documenting the process!

M3TA5IN
10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
I am no where near as up to date on I.C.E as I once use to be. This is my input though. I currently have OEM Stereo and bluetooth and I love it. I personally cant see doing aftermarket in a BMW, I dont know, its just a preference thing...

With that said, a friend of mine has a F350 Super Duty Power Stroke that is modded to the gills. He has a double din Pioneer in the dash with bluetooth and one of the things I love about it that my car does not do is he can transfer music and all the information from his iPod right onto the screen/unit through bluetooth. He doesnt have to hook up any wires or anything. I thought that was pretty awesome.

az3579
10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
I highly recommend the Dension Gateway line of products if you want iPod integration and bluetooth. Mine doesn't have bluetooth as I bought a model without it (Gateway 300), but they have higher up models that work with non-nav units. Completely integrated; has the most features I found of the other integration kits. Plus, it would have the capability of bluetooth, so you have your cake and eat it too.

Here is my review of the Gateway 300:
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?2737-Dension-Gateway-300

Dension's website:
www.dension.com (http://www.dension.com)

Much cheaper than a Dynavin, even cheaper on eBay! :)

johnrando
10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
No issues with the previous recommendations, I'll just let you know what I have. For Bluetooth, I bought the Parrot (CK3100 I believe, maybe a 3200, I forget), which gives you Bluetooth capability. Works fine. At the same time there is a kit called the Connects2, out of England, which provides connectivity to the steering wheel functions, as if it was OEM (although I don't think it supports voice command on NAV, it does support voice command on phone). Again, works fine, fairly common setup.

For IPOD, I have the DICE kit, which uses the IPOD type cable (not AUX) which charges the IPOD, and displays the song info, etc. on my NAV screen. This too, works just fine for me, but it has had a reputation for being a little "buggy". Once in a blue moon I reboot mine, but that's not a biggie. BTW, $400 is a lot for OEM bluetooth, still not sure why they charge those prices. Parrot/Connects2 is less (but I forget the cost). Hope this helps.

ryrules1
10-04-2011, 06:12 PM
Ok following up all suggestions:

Love the Dension Gateway unfortunately the bluetooth version isn't compatible with our car :(. I dont like the parrot because you have to put that ugly screen/button somewhere in the car. Would rather have a clean stereo install. Really dont want to spent 400 bucks a stupid OEM box that only does bluetooth, any other suggestion.

danewilson77
10-04-2011, 06:17 PM
Dynavin?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ryrules1
10-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Thinking more and more about Dynavin. The parrot also doesn't show who is calling, which is a must for me.

Here are the options I have come across so car.

Parrot 3000 Evolution: Need connect2 adaptor to work with steering wheel controls. This is a cheap option under $200 but NO CALLER ID
Dension Gateway 500: Bluetooth and Ipod, costs around $400 on ebay. Looks awesome, but not compatible w/ E46
Dynavin: Nice, has OEM look, Expensive! But UI looks like crap and seem to have quality control issues.
BMW OEM ULF Since I have BMW assit I only really need the ULF box, which is expensive even used goes for $400. I also need to confirm I have all the wiring necessary.

Let me know if you come across any other options. Hopefully this post will help the next person like me out!

johnrando
10-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Ok following up all suggestions:

Love the Dension Gateway unfortunately the bluetooth version isn't compatible with our car :(. I dont like the parrot because you have to put that ugly screen/button somewhere in the car. Would rather have a clean stereo install. Really dont want to spent 400 bucks a stupid OEM box that only does bluetooth, any other suggestion.

My "ugly button thing" is in the trunk, on the drivers side, tucked in with all the other audio stuff, so it's not an issue.

johnrando
10-04-2011, 09:51 PM
Thinking more and more about Dynavin. The parrot also doesn't show who is calling, which is a must for me.

Parrot 3000 Evolution: Need connect2 adaptor to work with steering wheel controls. This is a cheap option under $200 but NO CALLER ID
Dension Gateway 500: Bluetooth and Ipod, costs around $400 on ebay. Looks awesome, but not compatible w/ E46
Dynavin: Nice, has OEM look, Expensive! But UI looks like crap and seem to have quality control issues.
BMW OEM ULF Since I have BMW assit I only really need the ULF box, which is expensive even used goes for $400. I also need to confirm I have all the wiring necessary.

Let me know if you come across any other options. Hopefully this post will help the next person like me out!

Hmmm, my old Parrot had caller ID, not even sure if this one does, as I have my phone mounted near the dash, so I just look at the phone when a call comes in. Don't really do that many calls from my car... so I'll take your word for it but I'll check it out too.

ryrules1
10-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Yea let me know what you come up with, because for some reason if CALLER ID does work then it is a no brainier.

ranger
10-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I bought a used 2005 ZHP and the previous owner had all the speakers replaced and the spare tire area has BIG two amps. There is a capacitor mounted on the trunk wall. Big sub in the trunk - who knows how much this cost to install. Sounds absolutely amazing. If I disappear off the forum, it is because my two college age kids finished me off to get the cool BMW with the killer stereo..........

Johnmadd
10-05-2011, 07:37 PM
I bought a used 2005 ZHP and the previous owner had all the speakers replaced and the spare tire area has BIG two amps. There is a capacitor mounted on the trunk wall. Big sub in the trunk - who knows how much this cost to install. Sounds absolutely amazing. If I disappear off the forum, it is because my two college age kids finished me off to get the cool BMW with the killer stereo..........

You may be just as high rank in the "cool dad" category as dw.

ryrules1
10-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Update: decided to buy the DICE 1500 adaptor, which IS compatible w/ the 2004 e46. It does bluetooth, ipod, and aux for $300 bucks. No to bad. I know DICE doesn't have the best quality standards, but I will give you all a full review once installed.

It also does CALLER ID Text :)

johnrando
10-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Update: decided to buy the DICE 1500 adaptor, which IS compatible w/ the 2004 e46. It does bluetooth, ipod, and aux for $300 bucks. No to bad. I know DICE doesn't have the best quality standards, but I will give you all a full review once installed.

It also does CALLER ID Text :)

Very cool, looking forward to the details. Don't think that was out when I got mine.

ryrules1
10-17-2011, 06:36 PM
nice and pissed!!!

Just finished installing the Dice 1500 BMW kit and it is a complete piece of shit.

a. The interface sucks, you can only do stuff within the first 5 seconds on turning the radio on.

b. I am having the worst static problems. The ipod interference sounds like I am listing to AM radio. No depth and lots of static. Probably due to the horrible non wrapped cable and a design with make you wire the Dice to the CD changer in the trunk. The cable is thus running under the seats, under the carpet up through the center console. This concealed wiring took forever and I am rewarded with crappy AM radio sound :mad. Seriously the FM radio sounds better. Messed with it for a good 7 hours and I am tired of it. Really dont want to remove this thing again. I will probably listen to CD for the next week or so and just buy the dynavin. I am tired of ripping up the car!!

CF: Rant about crappy DICE static.

danewilson77
10-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Damn. Sorry to hear brutha. Might want to post up a nice lil negative review in the product review sub forum..of course...after you cool off.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
10-17-2011, 07:01 PM
My original cable had the same issue. They replaced it with a better shielded cable and it's been fine. Hard to believe they are still selling them with non-shielded cable.

Johnmadd
10-17-2011, 07:55 PM
My original cable had the same issue. They replaced it with a better shielded cable and it's been fine. Hard to believe they are still selling them with non-shielded cable.

I have no experience with these products but I was definitely thinking wire quality, and grounding.

ryrules1
10-27-2011, 09:59 AM
player around with the system for a while and if I turn the volume on the DICE down to 50 it seems to decrease the distortion significantly. I also upgraded the firmware on the device. However I am still pretty shocked at how bad this product is and how poorly it works with the OEM system. I am going to call DICE tomorrow.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

billschusteriv
10-27-2011, 10:14 AM

In for pics. :)

I had a complete rewire, head unit install, speaker add/replace, sub install in a 88 Toyota 4x4 pickup that only ran me $400 for the labor, wires, new sub enclosure, and 2 new 5 1/4" speakers in the back. Granted, it wasn't the prettiest. I wasn't going to win any awards for this install. :biggrin But it sounded so... loud. I miss that truck.

Other than that, there was a place in VA around Dane (GoHo audio) that did free installs with the purchase of the speakers. So I ended up getting Eclipse Point Source speakers (~$400) and matching amp ($400) installed for free in my Cavalier. Other than that, I swapped the aforementioned subwoofer/amp combo from the truck into the car myself.

billschusteriv
10-27-2011, 10:16 AM
nice and pissed!!!

Just finished installing the Dice 1500 BMW kit and it is a complete piece of shit.

a. The interface sucks, you can only do stuff within the first 5 seconds on turning the radio on.

b. I am having the worst static problems. The ipod interference sounds like I am listing to AM radio. No depth and lots of static. Probably due to the horrible non wrapped cable and a design with make you wire the Dice to the CD changer in the trunk. The cable is thus running under the seats, under the carpet up through the center console. This concealed wiring took forever and I am rewarded with crappy AM radio sound :mad. Seriously the FM radio sounds better. Messed with it for a good 7 hours and I am tired of it. Really dont want to remove this thing again. I will probably listen to CD for the next week or so and just buy the dynavin. I am tired of ripping up the car!!

CF: Rant about crappy DICE static.

Are you running the line next to any power wires?

Before you pull up the carpet, can you install a ground loop isolator on the line to see if this solves the problem?

I feel your pain on ripping up the car. I had my Cavalier apart more times than I want to remember. Although I got quite good at tear down and reassembly. Maybe consider it a learning experience in case you want to do a mod that requires you to take out your seats or lift carpet or trim. :biggrin

UdubBadger
10-27-2011, 10:31 AM

Hmmm, my old Parrot had caller ID, not even sure if this one does, as I have my phone mounted near the dash, so I just look at the phone when a call comes in. Don't really do that many calls from my car... so I'll take your word for it but I'll check it out too.

I know its late but FYI the Parrot CK3100 Evo was the one with the LCD screen and Caller ID. Needed 2 adapters for it, 1 for back of radio and 1 for steering wheel controls. All found here: http://www.hfvt.com/

ryrules1
10-31-2011, 12:06 PM
DICE said pretty much I am shit out of luck and I have a difficult car. Should go with a Radio Harness to eliminate noise (read: re-wiring PITA). I turned off scrolling text, which helped with the "clicking" sound. Still I feel this is a very unpolished product and would not recommend.

ryrules1
10-31-2011, 12:08 PM
I know its late but FYI the Parrot CK3100 Evo was the one with the LCD screen and Caller ID. Needed 2 adapters for it, 1 for back of radio and 1 for steering wheel controls. All found here: http://www.hfvt.com/

Yeah, I could have gone with this, but the options sounded better on the DICE unit now I know better. Tired of messing with it, maybe in 6 months I will switch.

UdubBadger
10-31-2011, 01:06 PM
Oh I would advise you to also. The oem functions are so much better than a clunky LCD screen mounted in the middle of your dashboard, I hated it for so long on my 328, wish I would've just ponied up for the $750 integrated system from the factory.

TBH, I have no respect for BMW for making that an option you have to pay for. Thats one of those things that is standard on 99% of the cars out there now. Oh and the $475 for split folding rear seats... my blood is boiling just thinking about the nickle and diming.

acontzhp
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Oh I would advise you to also. The oem functions are so much better than a clunky LCD screen mounted in the middle of your dashboard, I hated it for so long on my 328, wish I would've just ponied up for the $750 integrated system from the factory.

TBH, I have no respect for BMW for making that an option you have to pay for. Thats one of those things that is standard on 99% of the cars out there now. Oh and the $475 for split folding rear seats... my blood is boiling just thinking about the nickle and diming.

My blood boils with yours as well

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Washburn
11-01-2011, 08:41 AM
Get a USA Spec - solid build, function and no problems. works right the 1st time, and forever :) - no need to reset, reboot, whatever, it just works, and SQ is MUCH better than DICE.

Hermes
11-01-2011, 08:57 AM
The more I read about Dynavin (Android not Windows version) the more I want it... Another thing for the list I guess