PDA

View Full Version : Looking for part (numbers)?

bullfrogs_M3
10-06-2011, 07:19 AM
I wasn't sure if there was a thread and I didn't find anything when I searched. So I figured I would start one here and people can add any parts to it and the community can post up info if they have a part or number or alternate.

*Mods: Move this thread to any other heading if you think this should be somewhere else

bullfrogs_M3
10-06-2011, 07:21 AM
I have a creaking/groaning sound from the driver front and rear. I have checked everything and white lithium greased everything that could possibly get grease. I am thinking that it is body mounts that are causing the sounds. However when I searched on RealOEM I couldn't find ANYTHING.

Does anyone know any part numbers for OEM body mounts?

mikeyb74
10-06-2011, 07:28 AM
I bet it the strut mounts are what you are hearing. The ones on my car were creaking/groaning so I replaced them.

danewilson77
10-06-2011, 07:29 AM
I bet it the strut mounts are what you are hearing. The ones on my car were creaking/groaning so I replaced them.

He said he checked everything...:)

mikeyb74
10-06-2011, 07:30 AM
He said he checked everything...:)

pfffttt...hehe

mikeyb74
10-06-2011, 07:31 AM
What conditions does the creaking/moaning sounds happen?

bullfrogs_M3
10-06-2011, 07:45 AM
What conditions does the creaking/moaning sounds happen?

100% of time. Obvious from the get go. Push on driver side hood/fender area and it is definitely audible. Go over a curb/bump/hump/etc.. definitely audible. Just tired of having an old boat sounding car. :(

Here is the history:
OEM suspension - No sound
Vogtland Springs - No sound
JIC Coils - No sound at first then sound started up. Right about the time I went to UUC FCABS
Grease the ever living F out of front UUC swaybar bushings and UUC fcabs. Sound still there
F2 Coils - Sound still there
Replace front tierods and front control arms - clean off all bushings on FCABs and Swaybar bushings and put White Lithium Grease on both components - sound still there.

Basically, the entire front end has new or newer components with heavily greased bushings. When I was replacing the VISA and cleaning the throttle body out, I also checked (and ordered up new OEM) motor mounts. The mounts looked good and tight. With no apparent blown or leaking motor mounts, but I still ordered up OEM ones anyway.

Now, it might actually be the steering column knuckle. This piece has to move in multiple directions, both horizontally and vertically. I didn't feel anything loose and couldn't really move it much when I was in there. But this might actually be the problem as well, since when I pull out the driveway over the gutter "hump", it does creak/groan. I just don't know how really to test out this theory though. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=32_0942&hg=32&fg=30

So anyway, this is why it leads me to believe I just have some blown body mounts due to the car being lower than OEM stock.

mikeyb74
10-06-2011, 07:51 AM
I've head that the UUC CABs can be noisy. I just went with Powerflexs with no noise as of yet. The steering column knuckle on my e46 creaks and groans in cold temps when I turn the wheel side to side at standing still or moving. When you swapped out the struts did you replace the strut bearings? When I had the defective bearings on my car it would make similar noises over speed bumps, on my garage entrance floor lip, and bridge expansion joints.