PDA

View Full Version : Coupe Rear Window Shelf Rattle Solution, Kayger Style doityourself

kayger12
10-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Was getting tired of the rattling, but didn't feel like tearing the rear of the car apart.

I've read up thoroughly on the bolt mod, the tennis ball mod, and the stuff it with foam mod.

I opted for the styrofoam cone mod. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_kdtIzoFWz7E/TQAFTmhfoHI/AAAAAAAABBE/_9mCLrq00nQ/s1600/KC1182611227.jpg Picked three of these babies up at Michael's for a few bucks.

Dropped the sub and wedged three of these puppies in there-- one on the outboard side of each speaker hole, and the third up against the tray that sits up against the rear window.

Happy to report that the rattle is completely gone with no negative effect on sound as I didn't have to fill that acoustic cavity up with anything.

Total DIY time was about five minutes.

danewilson77
10-07-2011, 08:42 AM
Cone mod by Malik FTW!

kayger12
10-07-2011, 08:42 AM
:keith

danewilson77
10-07-2011, 08:43 AM
:keith

+1

webster
10-07-2011, 08:49 AM
i did the tennis ball mod the other day but my rear deck still rattles like hell. i guess at this point the only solution is the complete backseat tear-apart and foam padding installation

kayger12
10-07-2011, 09:27 AM
i did the tennis ball mod the other day but my rear deck still rattles like hell. i guess at this point the only solution is the complete backseat tear-apart and foam padding installation

Try the styrofoam-- if it doesn't work, worst you're out is 5 minutes and a few bucks.

Hermes DIY is definitely the way to do it right. I just didn't have the time right now.

Hermes
10-07-2011, 09:34 AM
True, this will work also. The main issue is in the middle of the shelf where they didn't put enough padding. The tennis ball way works but not perfectly (you have to cut them to the right size). Styrofoam is better since it has more shape/strength to it. I've also heard of people who will stuff tshirts/towels in the cavity.

ELCID86
01-10-2014, 08:21 AM
How big are those cones? (No perspective in the photo)

brettbimmer
01-10-2014, 09:16 AM
You guys just need to turn down the subs! :ducking :shift

kayger12
01-10-2014, 10:06 AM
How big are those cones? (No perspective in the photo)

They were somewhere around 6 inches.

Still working flawlessly.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Washburn
01-10-2014, 05:14 PM
Link to these cones?

Fat-Ham
04-13-2014, 05:03 PM
Did this today. Happy to report, works like a champ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fat-Ham
04-13-2014, 05:04 PM
The cones are 2 7/8x 5 7/8. I put them in sideways and jammed them in the spots you said. At first I tried cutting one to size and realized that was silly. Best fit was sticking em in sideways

Washburn
04-14-2014, 08:22 AM
Any link to buy these cones online ?
Also can someone take a pic showing the cones in position, if possible ?
Thanks IA

thinkpad240
10-14-2017, 08:53 PM
Problem solved. I had cracking or rattling sound coming out of my trunk when I crank up the AUX or Bass, due to the HK amp so I decided to drop the HK assembly today. It was just 4 screws and 10 minutes. I also got 4 of these cones from Michaels.

1 cone goes to left hole and pointing to the left.
1 cone goes behind the metal partition (between the 2 holes)
1 cone goes to the right hole and pointing to the right
1 cone goes to the right hole and pointing to the back where there is room

kayger12
10-15-2017, 04:54 AM
Problem solved. I had cracking or rattling sound coming out of my trunk when I crank up the AUX or Bass, due to the HK amp so I decided to drop the HK assembly today. It was just 4 screws and 10 minutes. I also got 4 of these cones from Michaels.

1 cone goes to left hole and pointing to the left.
1 cone goes behind the metal partition (between the 2 holes)
1 cone goes to the right hole and pointing to the right
1 cone goes to the right hole and pointing to the back where there is room

:thumbup Happy to report mine is still working like a charm 6 years later.

papa_g
12-22-2018, 11:35 PM
Gonna try this. Tennis ball mod worked GREAT, but definitely still rattles at certain frequencies

johnrando
12-23-2018, 08:14 PM
[emoji106] Happy to report mine is still working like a charm 6 years later.Nice. Good to see you around.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

John in VA
12-24-2018, 10:45 AM
I obtained some used tennis balls from a player, but haven't looked into where to put them. Had a significant rattle when pumping tunes on the trip to The Vintage in 2017.

papa_g
12-25-2018, 09:24 PM
bought some cones from joann fabrics and honestly it was such a waste of money and time. They were brittle and had absolutely no flex to them. Tennis balls works better in my opinion as you can squeeze them into a tight space. Added one and a half more tennis balls to my deck and took away some the remaining deeper rattles.

BMWCurves
12-28-2018, 11:37 AM
bought some cones from joann fabrics and honestly it was such a waste of money and time. They were brittle and had absolutely no flex to them. Tennis balls works better in my opinion as you can squeeze them into a tight space. Added one and a half more tennis balls to my deck and took away some the remaining deeper rattles.

My foam cones have worked well for me, but I'm sure over time they'll compress and need to be replaced or use a different object like a tennis ball.

Karl Lazlo
12-28-2018, 12:36 PM
My foam cones have worked well for me, but I'm sure over time they'll compress and need to be replaced or use a different object like a tennis ball.

I used tennis balls in my 2003. In my 2006, I used the souls of my vanquished; they seemed to have worked better.

papa_g
12-28-2018, 12:43 PM
The cones just crumbled when I tried to wedge them into a tight space. No bueno. Waste of time and money for me. Maybe the styrofoam you guys used was a different kind.

John in VA
12-28-2018, 01:20 PM
Is there a definitive write-up on the tennis ball anti-rattle technique? Thanks in advance!

papa_g
12-28-2018, 04:21 PM
There are a few DIYs out there, but nothing like "This is the way you are supposed to do it to achieve optimal results". I think 4 Tennis balls is a good amount; one to each side, evenly spaced, and wedged into a tight space so they are pushing up on the deck as much as possible. There is also a 'bolt mod', but I did not really understand how it works once I actually got in the subwoofer space. They talk about it here towards the end of the thread: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=429992

John in VA
12-28-2018, 08:08 PM
There are a few DIYs out there, but nothing like "This is the way you are supposed to do it to achieve optimal results". I think 4 Tennis balls is a good amount; one to each side, evenly spaced, and wedged into a tight space so they are pushing up on the deck as much as possible. There is also a 'bolt mod', but I did not really understand how it works once I actually got in the subwoofer space. They talk about it here towards the end of the thread: https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=429992
Thanks for the link. I've never dropped the sub box or looked too hard under the deck, but will deal with it before the spring driving season.