PDA

View Full Version : Rim Fix help

jreyes19
10-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Ok I am a bit upset about one of my rims already having a small scrape
it is about half a finger nails length and since my rims are black, so it sticks out
I am upset as well because i dont know where it came from since i dodge absolutely every thing on the road :(
I have Miro 111 in matte black
is there a paint fix or some uncostly way to fix this without having to get them re-painted

please any help is much appreciated, I am sorry if there is already a thread on this, i did a quick search and came up blank

Johnmadd
10-09-2011, 07:26 PM
Dr. Colorchip?

jreyes19
10-09-2011, 07:31 PM
thats what i was thinking but i thought it was only for car bodies idk i have never used it

also i found this when diving further into the internet, still havent found something specifically for flat black rims yet

http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-detailing/80657-repairing-painted-wheel-curb-scratches.html

Rustyh
10-10-2011, 05:56 AM
Unfortunately, rims aren't immune from chips no matter how careful you are. One reason I've never invested in expensive wheels, and as it turned out, not long after I'd bought the ASA's (rather than BBS that I *really* wanted) sure enough, I found a rock chip on one of them. You don't have to be negligent, passing cars and such can toss something at you.

Re repainting them, I have heard others just use Dr. Colorchip on wheels. I've only used it on bodywork itself, but I see no reason it wouldn't work. Aside from the baking process, there's nothing particularly special about a painted wheel. It's painted just like anything else so you should be good to go. Not sure how close to the specific black you're looking for you can order it, but I would imagine they can whip up something that's so close you wouldn't see the repair from 3 ft away.

Rusty

jreyes19
10-10-2011, 06:58 AM
thank you yes i was looking at Dr. colorchip, langka, and duplicolor paint pen
thanks guys i will post up pictures of the chip and what i decide to do