PDA

View Full Version : Should I Be Worried?

MsRN
10-09-2011, 08:12 PM
I was driving to work this morning (0530), and noticed 20 minutes into the drive that my coolant temperature needle was barely flirting with the first 'hash mark'. It never reached mid-gauge in the forty-five minutes I drove the car. Ambient temperature was 52-58 degrees Fahrenheit.

On the way home tonight, I went into the hidden OBC functions, and turned on coolant temperature monitoring. The return trip was at 62 degrees Fahrenheit give or take, and coolant temp from ten minutes into the drive onward averaged 70C+/- 5C (rather cool by stock E46 standards--it should be 80-90C or so, if I 'member properly).

As some of you know, I am the proud new owner of an ESS twin-screw, intercooled supercharged ZHP (whew, try saying that three times fast!) Are these cooler running temps consistent with supercharging? Should I be concerned with the buildup of organic acids and moisture in my oil, and loss of TBN? Is the oil even warm enough to properly do its job?

Or--should I be concerned that the MAP thermostat is failing, and stuck open?

Oh, mighty ZHP Mafia brain trust, I seek your wisdom and guidance...

johnrando
10-09-2011, 08:38 PM
First of all, very cool on the ESS. Didn't know that. Would love to hear how that turns out for you. Secondly, very much a guess, but it would seem to me like a thermostat issue, sounds stuck open. Outside of that, this is way beyond my knowledge, dealing with a supercharger. Hope it's something small and works out quickly for you

Newjack
10-09-2011, 08:39 PM
I'm not saying I'm right here. But I had a similar problem right before I refreshed my engine cooling system. Turned out my thermostat was bad and was getting stuck open. It was taking my car way too long to get to the proper temperature. After the refresh, my temp floats quickly and calmly right up to the middle mark and stays there.

When was the thermostat replaced?

Also congrats on the new car! I'm super jealous of that supercharger...

Gheybe
10-09-2011, 11:27 PM
I'll say as well you should check the thermostat. Replace it. It's like a 40 dollar part and really easy to do.

I had the same issue.

kayger12
10-10-2011, 12:47 AM
Yep- thermostat has failed.

I'd replace the water pump, belts and pulleys while you're at it.

All 60,000 mile items to replace, and iirc, your ride has around 65k, correct?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

kpro
10-10-2011, 06:13 AM
As some of you know, I am the proud new owner of an ESS twin-screw, intercooled supercharged ZHP (whew, try saying that three times fast!)
Or--should I be concerned that the MAP thermostat is failing, and stuck open?

eeeeeek! So excited for you!!! and very jealous too :) Did you buy a new ZHP or supercharge yours? ....and you are correct about your thermostat sticking open.

*edit* oh yeah, I forgot your other one was totaled. Congrats on the new car too!!!

Ryans323i
10-10-2011, 06:16 AM
Whoa, point me in the direction of where you introduced your new car. Hope there's pics!

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Good that it failed open though....hehe

MsRN
10-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Yep- thermostat has failed.

I'd replace the water pump, belts and pulleys while you're at it.

All 60,000 mile items to replace, and iirc, your ride has around 65k, correct?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

The water pump was changed out at 32k miles, I think; I'll have to check the records. Fortunately, I just happen to have an OE thermostat and EMP Stewart water pump on hand...I never changed them out on my old ride. :)

Time for Rogue pulleys, though...I just don't trust plastic and constant thermal cycling!

IIRC--now I finally realize what that means...I feel so blonde...

echo46
10-10-2011, 01:07 PM
I third or forth that the thermostat is stuck open. Happened to my on my e36 and the needle would not move. At least it didn't get stuck the other way.

MsRN
10-10-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks, all! I'll plan to overhaul the cooling system this week. I emailed ESS anyway, just in case the S/C could be the culprit...

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 02:11 PM
Thanks, all! I'll plan to overhaul the cooling system this week. I emailed ESS anyway, just in case the S/C could be the culprit...

Might be worth asking PO about though too. Not from a bad standpoint.......but from an ESS standpoint.

kayger12
10-10-2011, 04:33 PM
The water pump was changed out at 32k miles, I think; I'll have to check the records. Fortunately, I just happen to have an OE thermostat and EMP Stewart water pump on hand...I never changed them out on my old ride. :)

Time for Rogue pulleys, though...I just don't trust plastic and constant thermal cycling!

IIRC--now I finally realize what that means...I feel so blonde...

I like your plan. :chuck

Droid X. Forum Runner. Use it.

johnrando
10-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Can we get more details on your new supercharged ZHP?

MsRN
10-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Happily, John!

It's a 2004 Silbergrau Mettalisch Ci, with black cube and Dove Grey nappa leather M3 front and rear seats. Front seats have a bit of wear, but are incredibly solid and supportive. HK, OE iPod interface, Homelink, ski pass-through, no CWP. SSK, not sure which yet, but the knob is lower than stock, based on pictures I've seen here. Leather steering wheel, as comfy and as well-padded as the Alcantara version. Lowered on KW V2 coilovers, with D-Power 18" semi-forged (spun stainless shells?) wheels, asymmetric stance. Fronts are 8 or 8.5", rears 10" (I think). Minor tire scrub on full turn-in. Absolutely minimal body roll, almost feels like a go-cart! Michelin A/S fronts, Pirelli PZero Neros (almost gone) on back. I'll put on Pilot Supersports all around if I still have a drivers license come spring! :) Bosch/AL adaptive Xenons (love 'em!), LED rears (apparently OE). ESS Laminova-intercooled, twin-screw supercharger, installed and dyno'd by Goodspeed Labs in '09 at around 47K miles. Advertised as having about 360-365 hp at the flywheel, 300-310 lb-ft of torque. I'll try to post the dyno sheets tomorrow. With 30% city, 70% highway miles, after about 220 miles the OBC 'conservamometer' read 34.5mpg when I pulled into the garage tonight; that's with generous idling and a few 'spirited' passes! Low-end torque is just a little less than in our '04 Jetta TDI (so 30mph in 5th at 1100-1200 rpm actually works), and at half-throttle in 4th to pass, you have to remind yourself to point the car straight, 'cause you're there before you have time to think! It's WAAAAY more car than I could EVER reasonably need, and I'm clearly going to have to track it occasionally, just to keep the beasts under the hood happy! I'm scraping the front valance on our minor street/driveway transition, so it needs to be raised a hair for summer, an' a whole LOT for winter driving! I'm planning the fluid change to Redline for engine, diff, and MT this fall, along with OE BT and (eventually) OE seat heaters. Besides an obvious cooling system overhaul, it will get new plugs, valve cover gasket, and prolly a VANOS overhaul before snow flies here. Came with all the original parts except wheels (intake manifold, injectors, etc), and extensive records. Honestly, I feel like I probably underpaid for the car at its asking price ($17600) plus tax/title, shipping and PPI (about $2300). I am not worthy...

And for the record, all who say Bimmers should always be manuals are completely right! I've always had Steptronic, an' I'm NEVER going back to it! :)

johnrando
10-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Sounds AWESOME! So happy for you, and you certainly sound excited. And, I'm definitely jealous of that supercharger... holy COW, 360+ HP!!!??? Glad things ended well for you getting the new ride.

Ryans323i
10-11-2011, 07:48 AM
Happily, John!

It's a 2004 Silbergrau Mettalisch Ci, with black cube and Dove Grey nappa leather M3 front and rear seats. Front seats have a bit of wear, but are incredibly solid and supportive. HK, OE iPod interface, Homelink, ski pass-through, no CWP. SSK, not sure which yet, but the knob is lower than stock, based on pictures I've seen here. Leather steering wheel, as comfy and as well-padded as the Alcantara version. Lowered on KW V2 coilovers, with D-Power 18" semi-forged (spun stainless shells?) wheels, asymmetric stance. Fronts are 8 or 8.5", rears 10" (I think). Minor tire scrub on full turn-in. Absolutely minimal body roll, almost feels like a go-cart! Michelin A/S fronts, Pirelli PZero Neros (almost gone) on back. I'll put on Pilot Supersports all around if I still have a drivers license come spring! :) Bosch/AL adaptive Xenons (love 'em!), LED rears (apparently OE). ESS Laminova-intercooled, twin-screw supercharger, installed and dyno'd by Goodspeed Labs in '09 at around 47K miles. Advertised as having about 360-365 hp at the flywheel, 300-310 lb-ft of torque. I'll try to post the dyno sheets tomorrow. With 30% city, 70% highway miles, after about 220 miles the OBC 'conservamometer' read 34.5mpg when I pulled into the garage tonight; that's with generous idling and a few 'spirited' passes! Low-end torque is just a little less than in our '04 Jetta TDI (so 30mph in 5th at 1100-1200 rpm actually works), and at half-throttle in 4th to pass, you have to remind yourself to point the car straight, 'cause you're there before you have time to think! It's WAAAAY more car than I could EVER reasonably need, and I'm clearly going to have to track it occasionally, just to keep the beasts under the hood happy! I'm scraping the front valance on our minor street/driveway transition, so it needs to be raised a hair for summer, an' a whole LOT for winter driving! I'm planning the fluid change to Redline for engine, diff, and MT this fall, along with OE BT and (eventually) OE seat heaters. Besides an obvious cooling system overhaul, it will get new plugs, valve cover gasket, and prolly a VANOS overhaul before snow flies here. Came with all the original parts except wheels (intake manifold, injectors, etc), and extensive records. Honestly, I feel like I probably underpaid for the car at its asking price ($17600) plus tax/title, shipping and PPI (about $2300). I am not worthy...

And for the record, all who say Bimmers should always be manuals are completely right! I've always had Steptronic, an' I'm NEVER going back to it! :)

I love you. Err, I mean, Car, I love your car!
Gosh Darn girlie, you got hooked up! Car sounds excellent. And, btw, you can never have too much car! Enjoy it, give it a good flogging just for me.
And congrats on the getting a manual!

MsRN
10-24-2011, 06:36 PM
I love you. Err, I mean, Car, I love your car!
Gosh Darn girlie, you got hooked up! Car sounds excellent. And, btw, you can never have too much car! Enjoy it, give it a good flogging just for me.
And congrats on the getting a manual!

Ryan, honey, if I swung that way, you'd be at the top of my list... ;) (Giggle).