PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone elses emergency break make noise after being parked.

Whitexi
10-10-2011, 06:09 PM
I don't use it but it seems that after the car sits with it off and I start to drive I get a annoying but faint rubbing sound. I know its the emergency break because I just pull it up one click while moving and release it and it goes away. The sounds not loud at all but I tend to look for it since I know its there :rolleyes. Does anyone else have this issue?

Marcus-SanDiego
10-10-2011, 06:23 PM
I've had seven BMWs. Everyone of them have done it -- including the X.

You're talking about the little creaking sound, right?

Johnmadd
10-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Ok, I can help here ... I think. You may be putting stress on your transmission, after you apply you e-brake put you vehicle in neutral and don't put your foot on the brake, this puts the initial stress on the brake and not the transmission, after this you put your gear in park/gear.

danewilson77
10-10-2011, 06:49 PM
I've had seven BMWs. Everyone of them have done it -- including the X.

You're talking about the little creaking sound, right?

I got the "creak"

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
10-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I don't recall having that sound.

kayger12
10-11-2011, 12:50 AM
I got the "creak"

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

+1

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Whitexi
10-11-2011, 02:53 AM
Ok, I can help here ... I think. You may be putting stress on your transmission, after you apply you e-brake put you vehicle in neutral and don't put your foot on the brake, this puts the initial stress on the brake and not the transmission, after this you put your gear in park/gear.

I have an auto so im not sure if you ment this for a manual? Still can be done though with an auto but my emergency brake never woked well really so I never use it.

It does sound like a creak perhaps. It didn't do it on the way to work this morning but ill see if it does it when I leave for the dentist this afternoon.

llll1l1ll
10-11-2011, 04:02 AM
My car creaks on a hill with the handbrake on, e.g. I park, pull the handbrake, let off the brake pedal, car creaks as handbrake catches, and then I put it in gear.

Whitexi
10-11-2011, 05:26 AM
Im saying my car sits parked with the emergency brake off. I go to start driving and can hear it making the noise, even though I never used it.

aurelius
10-11-2011, 05:48 AM
Quoting the owner's manual:

"To avoid corrosion and one-sided braking, apply the parking brake lightly from time to time when coasting to a standstill – at a traffic signal, for example – provided that it is safe to do so."

az3579
10-11-2011, 07:58 AM

This, though this isn't the issue Ryan's having. I would like to make one comment though. I park the car in gear. You don't necessary have to leave in neutral as long as the clutch pedal is pressed in when letting off the brake. Then you can engage the clutch after the car is put the "stress" on the brakes. :)

Ryan,
I would say it's good practice to still pull the handbrake every time you park the car mainly in case the transmission fails. It also ensures that the parking brake system is regularly excercised. Right now in your case, I would engage the parking brake every time I park for a week or so and see if the sound goes away with regular usage. If that fixes it, perhaps once a week or two would help alleviate this issue for you?

danewilson77
10-11-2011, 08:52 AM

"To avoid corrosion and one-sided braking, apply the parking brake lightly from time to time when coasting to a standstill – at a traffic signal, for example – provided that it is safe to do so."

Crazy that it says that. Awesome.

johnrando
10-11-2011, 01:38 PM

Thanks for pointing that out... gonna do that today.

Whitexi
10-11-2011, 01:43 PM
So I have it in use now and will see if that helps after I leave the gym. Didn't hear it on the way to the dentist. Of course its silent now that I bring it up.

MrMaico
10-14-2011, 02:03 PM
So I have it in use now and will see if that helps after I leave the gym. Didn't hear it on the way to the dentist. Of course its silent now that I bring it up.

Ya, that's probably not going to cure your issue. Like aurelius said, you have to use it to bring your car to a stop to clean the rust off the shoes and drums. Don't use the pedal at all, just the park brake lever. Try that 1/2 a dozen times or so and see if that does the trick. Just be careful not to lock the rear brakes though.....bad things could happen.

Barry

Whitexi
10-14-2011, 02:23 PM
II've been pulling it up while driving. Haven't heard it since. So hope that fixed it. Thanx everyone.

MrMaico
10-14-2011, 04:50 PM
II've been pulling it up while driving. Haven't heard it since. So hope that fixed it. Thanx everyone.

:thumbsup And thanks for the reminder.......I hadn't done mine in a while. :-)

Hermes
10-14-2011, 10:51 PM

"To avoid corrosion and one-sided braking, apply the parking brake lightly from time to time when coasting to a standstill

I need to try this, it only happens occasionally but I just assumed its from the salt air where I live

danewilson77
10-15-2011, 10:59 AM
I need to try this, it only happens occasionally but I just assumed its from the salt air where I live

I did this the other day. Twice....just to make sure...hehe. Pretty uneventful.

llll1l1ll
10-17-2011, 03:44 AM
Man, now you guys got me thinking...

UdubBadger
10-17-2011, 04:09 AM
my 135 does it too... fairly common. It was worse with my performance rotors though.

az3579
10-17-2011, 06:29 AM
I wonder; this doesn't happen to those who use it every day, right?

Sent from my Droid Charge.

llll1l1ll
10-17-2011, 07:01 AM
I never noises and I use the handbrake when I park.