PDA

View Full Version : Wheel bearings (Found on net, not my own DIY) doityourself

carsontl
10-11-2011, 04:21 AM
As stated, this is not my DIY but it looks thorough enough that it would be good information to have on here. I found this article on reddit.com/r/bmw by PsychoCemia

All props to him:

http://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comments/l7xio/wheel_bearing_swap_diyalbum_inside/

danewilson77
10-11-2011, 04:26 AM
Moved to DIY section...

Good lookin out.

Additionally...I posted one up a bit ago...that may also yield some good info....or at least make someone feel more comfortable doing this...

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3991-BMW-E46-330i-ZHP-Front-Wheel-Bearing-DIY

carsontl
10-11-2011, 04:31 AM
you can just delete this then haha, didn't realize there was already one (my fault)

danewilson77
10-11-2011, 04:40 AM
you can just delete this then haha, didn't realize there was already one (my fault)

Hey...no worries mang. The more the better. It's all good.

You may want to ear mark this one....

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-DIY-and-Preventative-maintenance

PsychoCemia
10-11-2011, 11:35 PM
Yup, this was my doing. ;)

I actually hadn't seen Dane's tutorial, but I guess mine's redundant now. (I do have a few more pics, though ;) )

Cheers!

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 03:24 AM
Yup, this was my doing. ;)

I actually hadn't seen Dane's tutorial, but I guess mine's redundant now. (I do have a few more pics, though ;) )

Cheers!

Post it in the DIY section. The more the merrier.

Whitexi
10-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Looks nice to just remove it like that, because mines an xi its pressed in.

johnnyrad
10-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Moved to DIY section...

Good lookin out.

Additionally...I posted one up a bit ago...that may also yield some good info....or at least make someone feel more comfortable doing this...

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3991-BMW-E46-330i-ZHP-Front-Wheel-Bearing-DIY

Dane, can you possibly describe the symptoms of bad bearings and roughly when they should be replaced? Do they go bad at a specific mileage interval?

kayger12
10-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Dane, can you possibly describe the symptoms of bad bearings and roughly when they should be replaced? Do they go bad at a specific mileage interval?

Wum, wum, wum sound from the wheels when driving.

Wheel will have play in it (if you push/pull at the 9 and 3 o' clock position on the tire).

How soon that go bad depends on several variables including driving style, condition of roads (lots of potholes accelerate wear)- I've also read that the use of wheel spacers can contribute.

My 325 was at 122k when I sold her and all the original bearings were still good.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

johnnyrad
10-23-2011, 02:32 PM
Thanks Keith. Yea the roads in the Northeast suck big time and all 48,000 miles on my Z are from driving on those roads! I do have the wum wum wum sound going on but it's faint, it's not to bad or annoying but its there and I can hear it especially below 15 MPH. It almost seems to be a rubbing sound mixed with a wum wum..My first instinct was my tires. There is no lack of performance because of it as far as I can tell though. I don't know...I certainly don't want to be dropping $500 on two front bearings If I don't need them, so I guess I will monitor for now. Did you replace yours?

danewilson77
10-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Wum, wum, wum sound from the wheels when driving.

Wheel will have play in it (if you push/pull at the 9 and 3 o' clock position on the tire).

How soon that go bad depends on several variables including driving style, condition of roads (lots of potholes accelerate wear)- I've also read that the use of wheel spacers can contribute.

My 325 was at 122k when I sold her and all the original bearings were still good.

I think 9 and 3 is cabs, 12 and 6 is wheel bearings. Yup..KG got it with the wum, wum, wum sound. Should be changed, or could fail around 100k miles, but really depends on environment and how the car is driven.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
10-23-2011, 03:08 PM
I think 9 and 3 is cabs, 12 and 6 is wheel bearings.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Shouldn't matter as long as the motion is pushing away from your chest with one arm while pulling towards your chest with the other.

I thing the cab test is pushing/pulling the tire laterally fore and aft (with your hands on the tread).