PDA

View Full Version : Alignment done today - Still drifts to the left and steering wheel still not center

carsontl
10-11-2011, 09:48 AM
Initial inspection of the car:

http://i.imgur.com/wvaoc.jpg

After he did the alignment:

http://i.imgur.com/WjTgf.jpg

I noticed he specified it as a sedan/wagon with 18" wheels in the alignment system but this is a 330ci zhp so it makes me wonder :facepalm

Are these numbers in the correct spec range? I paid for a 1 year warranty on alignment so I can go back as many times as necessary to get it right.

telijah
10-11-2011, 09:54 AM
Specs for Sport suspension, the only other two specs I had were for Standard and Rough Road Package, so figured the Sport would be the right one.

Total toe 0°14' ±8'
Camber (Difference between left/right max. 30) -43' ±20'
Track differential angle with 20°lock on inside wheel -1°34' ±30'
Caster (Difference between left/right max. 30')
With +/- 10 degrees wheel lock 5°36' ±30'
With +/- 20 degrees wheel lock 5°47' ±30'
Front wheel displacement 0°±15'
Maximum wheel lock
Inside wheel (approx.°) 43.6
Outside wheel (approx.°) 35.6
Rear axle:

Total toe 0°16' ±6'
Camber (Difference between left/right max. 15') -2°04' ±15'
Geometrical axis deviation 0°±6'

JHiggy
10-11-2011, 10:06 AM
Steering wheel that won't center at a stop is concerning. What's the shape of your tires (inside edges)? I had a pull effect going on for quite a while, had the car aligned, ultimately, a tire were considerably worn on the inside which was causing the significant pull while moving.

carsontl
10-11-2011, 10:09 AM
Front tires were replaced 2000 miles ago, rear tires replaced today...

those numbers you mention telijah, i'm having trouble converting them into the results I have on my sheet in order to tell if they are in spec or not. Could you assist? Trained eyes may see something I'm not mentally linking together.

carsontl
10-13-2011, 09:29 AM
I just went back at lunch and had them do it again and this time I had the sport specs printed out and handed it to the guy doing the alignment.

The guy said everything looked fine and then he sat in it. Once he sat in it he noticed everything changed. That's why I told him he needed it to be weighted and so they returned my money and said good luck with bmw lol

danewilson77
10-13-2011, 10:13 AM
I just went back at lunch and had them do it again and this time I had the sport specs printed out and handed it to the guy doing the alignment.

The guy said everything looked fine and then he sat in it. Once he sat in it he noticed everything changed. That's why I told him he needed it to be weighted and so they returned my money and said good luck with bmw lol

Dawn noobs.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

mikeyb74
10-13-2011, 12:09 PM
My aligment was so out of whack that it chopped both front tires in 3 weeks. Come to find out that alignment was never performed by the shop that installed control arms, balljoints, tie rods, and powerflex bushings. And the powerflexs have pulled out of the brackets.

danewilson77
10-13-2011, 12:34 PM
My aligment was so out of whack that it chopped both front tires in 3 weeks. Come to find out that alignment was never performed by the shop that installed control arms, balljoints, tie rods, and powerflex bushings. And the powerflexs have pulled out of the brackets.

Oh....my......gawd!

kayger12
10-13-2011, 01:48 PM

That is beyond ridiculous.

Brings incompetent to a whole new level.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

carsontl
10-13-2011, 01:50 PM
makes you scared to take the care anywhere lol

danewilson77
10-13-2011, 01:57 PM
makes you scared to take the care anywhere lol

Yeah...I honestly hate taking my car in for the annual safety inspection...because they have to pull my rims to look at the brakes. "Will they use the non-marring socket? Will they torque to 90-ftlbs?. will they hub-centrically center my wheels with the spacers? Will the mechanic sit on my seat with a pen in his pocket? Will they...will they...will they.......arrrgggghhhh!"

quikryptonite
10-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Yeah...I honestly hate taking my car in for the annual safety inspection...because they have to pull my rims to look at the brakes. "Will they use the non-marring socket? Will they torque to 90-ftlbs?. will they hub-centrically center my wheels with the spacers? Will the mechanic sit on my seat with a pen in his pocket? Will they...will they...will they.......arrrgggghhhh!"

:like