PDA

View Full Version : Light Bulb Sizes

Tampa330i
12-20-2010, 05:24 AM
I'm going to be changing out my turn signals in front & sides to clear and stock tails to r/c/r tails. I know I've got to change the front bulbs to amber, or stealth amber, but not sure on the back. I think the amber on the back will probably need a new bulb, because if that's the turn signal, it'll fall in the clear space on the new tails. Also, does anyone happen to know the bulb size for the front turn and rear tail lights offhand?

az3579
12-20-2010, 05:30 AM
You can get the bulb type by simply walking into an auto parts store and telling them the year/model.
Or, take your current bulbs out and check; should be written right on it.

Tampa330i
12-20-2010, 05:53 AM
I wanted to check some local store websites to see if they have amber bulbs without going out in 40 degree weather to check :)

kayger12
12-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Yeah, you'll need bulbs for the tails.

http://www.khoalty.com/bmw-e46/lighting-15/chrome-amber-halogen-turn-signal-bulbs-224

Tampa330i
12-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Went out and took them out, hands are now numb. Front turn is 1156, tail turn is 7506.

mimalmo
12-20-2010, 06:57 AM
Stealth bulbs are the way to go if you've got clears.

gr330zhp
12-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Stealth bulbs are the way to go if you've got clears.

+1 Really makes a difference!

Stealth Bulbs make the loook complete.

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo223/cruisineuro/100_0461.jpg?t=1292859355

http://i378.photobucket.com/albums/oo223/cruisineuro/IMAG01761.jpg?t=1292859443

Just found this
http://www.stealthauto.com/images/billboards/bmw-stealth-bulbs.jpg

Tampa330i
12-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Cool, thanks! I actually like the look of both of them. Something tells me an auto parts store isn't going to sell the stealth bulbs. I was hoping to get this stuff installed by thursday, I totally didn't think about bulbs.

pyreguy
12-20-2010, 02:01 PM
I have the regular amber bulbs cause I have heard stories of the silver stealth bulbs getting very hot and causing problems. Anyone ever had that experience?

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/pyreguy/ZHP/DSC00054.jpg

mimalmo
12-20-2010, 02:34 PM
Never had a problem in 1.5 years.

Got my stealth bulbs here ($1 shipping on all orders!)
http://www.xenonmods.com/

He offers the widest array of bulbs I've ever seen. Note that he's priced higher on some bulbs than Khoalty.

kayger12
12-20-2010, 05:22 PM
I have the regular amber bulbs cause I have heard stories of the silver stealth bulbs getting very hot and causing problems. Anyone ever had that experience?

http://i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae342/pyreguy/ZHP/DSC00054.jpg

2 years, no problems.

Mtnman
12-20-2010, 05:26 PM
I wanted to check some local store websites to see if they have amber bulbs without going out in 40 degree weather to check :)

Gotta bust your balls for this....40 dgree weather? Oh no..... Brrrrrr... Hahaha.

danewilson77
12-20-2010, 07:16 PM
:rofl

Tampa330i
12-20-2010, 07:39 PM
Yeah, yeah... I'm used to like 70+ weather now. The tails came in a day early, kayger! Not sure if you know this, but there were bulbs in those tails, including stealth ambers. I tested them and they work. Do you want those back?

Oh, and while I was testing the tail lights i decided to take the little headlight guard off and inspect the lenses. I found no reference to what manufacturer it is, so I'll need to pull them out all the way for further inspection. I did, however, find something broken. The small body colored trim piece just below the headlight is snapped off grille side where it turns 90 degrees towards the rear. It felt flimsy before and I wondered why, now I know. I also feel a lot more confident about taking the headlights out, it doesn't seem like too much effort.

kayger12
12-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Yeah, yeah... I'm used to like 70+ weather now. The tails came in a day early, kayger! Not sure if you know this, but there were bulbs in those tails, including stealth ambers. I tested them and they work. Do you want those back?

I got home today and was looking in the garage for those so I could offer them up to you. Couldn't figure out where the hell I put them, lol.

They're all yours, bro. Enjoy!

Tampa330i
12-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Sweet! I'll be putting them in tomorrow as long as it's somewhat warm. I won't be able to do the front turns and sides until I get the bulbs. I just ordered the stealth bulbs for both from khoa. I also ordered black/white emblems for the hood, trunk, all 4 wheels, and steering wheel. With just the bulbs, I think the shipping was going to be more than the bulbs were! So I figured I'll be getting the emblems eventually, why not now.

Tampa330i
12-21-2010, 02:21 PM
I got the main part of the tails in, it looks great! However, I've run into a problem with the smaller trunk tail peices. It looks like it's on there with a torx screw and of course I don't have any torx bits for any of my screwdrivers. I'll have to go to a store in a bit to pick one up. I won't be getting any pictures today because it's already getting dark.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-21-2010, 02:45 PM
OK, JB. Time for you to do some night work. Haha.

danewilson77
12-21-2010, 02:50 PM
Damn...trip to Lowes would clear that up quick.

Tampa330i
12-21-2010, 02:53 PM
My back is killing me now, from being bent over inside the trunk for an hour. On top of that I'm sick :( . Waiting for traffic to die off before I venture out to the store. I had no idea I had to take off the black plastic piece just under the trunk latch, that and the carpet were very stubborn, but I got out and back in. These tail lights look so much better than mine as far as wear... mine are all kinds of scratched, these are like flawless.

danewilson77
12-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Good deal. Gonna look awesome...

kayger12
12-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I got the main part of the tails in, it looks great! However, I've run into a problem with the smaller trunk tail peices. It looks like it's on there with a torx screw and of course I don't have any torx bits for any of my screwdrivers. I'll have to go to a store in a bit to pick one up. I won't be getting any pictures today because it's already getting dark.

Hey bud- just double check and make sure you're going after the right screw for those inner lenses. I remember thinking I needed to go after some torx screws in there only to find out they were for the trunk frame and had nothing to do with the lense. You'll know if they're the wrong ones cause they'll be tourqed on there tight.

Tampa330i
12-21-2010, 03:11 PM
They are very tight, I tried a square style bit and it turned, but very minimally and it took a lot of force. I can only see that 1 screw, too. Do you remember specifically where the screws are for them?

kayger12
12-21-2010, 03:15 PM
They are very tight, I tried a square style bit and it turned, but very minimally and it took a lot of force. I can only see that 1 screw, too. Do you remember specifically where the screws are for them?

Trying to visualize it. Those might be the ones that have a kind of plastic sheath that the screw channels through. It'll look like those spare ones that I shipped with the lights. Kind of like a long white square plastic piece. Hard to remember though. Long time ago. Sorry.

danewilson77
12-21-2010, 03:19 PM
^Scheck out this diy....and maybe something will help....

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=637333

Tampa330i
12-21-2010, 03:44 PM
Got em done! You were right, no torx screw. I took the new ones out there and put them up next to the old ones to see where the screw holes would be lining up. It turns out you have to click a little snapper on the black casing on the back of them to pop it off to see the 10mm nut, just a single one. After I found that it was a breeze to remove and reinsert. They look awesome! Pictures tomorrow. And my ecs order just arrived, yay!

kayger12
12-21-2010, 03:52 PM
Got em done! You were right, no torx screw. I took the new ones out there and put them up next to the old ones to see where the screw holes would be lining up. It turns out you have to click a little snapper on the black casing on the back of them to pop it off to see the 10mm nut, just a single one. After I found that it was a breeze to remove and reinsert. They look awesome! Pictures tomorrow. And my ecs order just arrived, yay!

Good deal, man. Nice job.

danewilson77
12-21-2010, 03:57 PM

Baller.