PDA

View Full Version : M3 Suspension

das boots
10-12-2011, 07:19 AM
Are the M3 suspension, springs, shocks & struts same as a ZHP? If not, what are the difference? Will they fit as suitable replacement with the ZHP front suspension? Will I have to use an M3 shock mounts and associated parts or a ZHP mounts good for the M3 suspension? I am still in need for a good used ZHP rear shocks (low miles) if anybody got one. I probably need to put this in the WTB section huh? Thanks.

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 09:32 AM
Are the M3 suspension, springs, shocks & struts same as a ZHP? If not, what are the difference? Will they fit as suitable replacement with the ZHP front suspension? Will I have to use an M3 shock mounts and associated parts or a ZHP mounts good for the M3 suspension? I am still in need for a good used ZHP rear shocks (low miles) if anybody got one. I probably need to put this in the WTB section huh? Thanks.

Umm...

mikeyb74
10-12-2011, 09:43 AM
ZHP and M3 suspensions are completely different. To do a swap will have to swap the whole suspension not just the springs and shocks. But the control arms, swaybars, mounts, trailing arms, and spindles. I think you should just buy a set of Bilstein Sports and call it a day.

bullfrogs_M3
10-12-2011, 10:44 AM
ZHP and M3 suspensions are completely different. To do a swap will have to swap the whole suspension not just the springs and shocks. But the control arms, swaybars, mounts, trailing arms, and spindles. I think you should just buy a set of Bilstein Sports and call it a day.

Sorry Mikey, but this is incorrect. I have had two different M3 suspension setups on my car and both worked fine. I ran an E46 M3 JIC Competition Cross suspension setup and OEM M3 suspension on my sedan. There is something to note about this though:

If you purchase a M3 suspension that requires you to use your existing "tophats" you WILL have to purchase M3 tophats as you will be UNABLE to reuse your non-M3 tophats!!!!! This is very important point to remember (I am referring to part number 1, 7 and 8, when I say "tophat")
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/s/v/115.png

All other components will line up as if OEM non-M3. This includes rear setup, as well as front.

If you have any questions feel free to let me know. :)

das boots
10-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Sounds convincing. However, I was just told by our local E46 expert that M3 will require some modifications and changes. And the ZHP would ride higher since the M3 is a whole lot heavier. And bottom line is for me not to go that way. Bilsteins Sports for the fronts beginning to sound good though.

bullfrogs_M3
10-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Sounds convincing. However, I was just told by our local E46 expert that M3 will require some modifications and changes. And the ZHP would ride higher since the M3 is a whole lot heavier. And bottom line is for me not to go that way. Bilsteins Sports for the fronts beginning to sound good though.

I agree, that if you can run non-M3 on your car DO IT!!! However, I am living proof that you can run M3 suspension with no modifications other than tophats. No change to sways, control arms, endlinks, etc... My car didn't sit any higher because of the higher M3 spring rate. But I didn't really know since I didn't measure

Also if you do bilsteins or anything else on the rear, make sure to get upgraded rear shock mounts (RSM). Rogue makes a great pair, solid and reasonable ($100)

das boots
10-12-2011, 02:39 PM
I agree, that if you can run non-M3 on your car DO IT!!! However, I am living proof that you can run M3 suspension with no modifications other than tophats. No change to sways, control arms, endlinks, etc... My car didn't sit any higher because of the higher M3 spring rate. But I didn't really know since I didn't measure

Also if you do bilsteins or anything else on the rear, make sure to get upgraded rear shock mounts (RSM). Rogue makes a great pair, solid and reasonable ($100)

Anything wrong with using stock shock mounts? Thanks for your advise. I always stay stock. Is there a specific mount for Bilsteins from the stock inventory?

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 02:58 PM
Anything wrong with using stock shock mounts? Thanks for your advise. I always stay stock. Is there a specific mount for Bilsteins from the stock inventory?

Meyle HD(stock) will work fine with Billy's.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-12-2011, 03:03 PM
Got a part numbers for fronts & rears? Can they be purchased from BMW parts online stores?

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Rear...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=33_0841&hg=33&fg=45

Choose your weapon.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/33521092362/

Front...

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=EV53&mospid=47725&btnr=31_0408&hg=31&fg=10

Choose your weapon.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/31336760943/

http://www.fcpeuro.com/2004-bmw-330i/all/?utf8=%E2%9C%93&keywords=31336760943&e=180&m=20

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-12-2011, 05:52 PM
Rear URLs open up. Fronts do not open. Please resend fronts on ECS & fcpeuro. Thanks.

danewilson77
10-12-2011, 06:01 PM
Should work now.

das boots
10-12-2011, 06:47 PM
Got it. Thanks.

mikeyb74
10-13-2011, 06:32 AM
Sorry Mikey, but this is incorrect. I have had two different M3 suspension setups on my car and both worked fine. I ran an E46 M3 JIC Competition Cross suspension setup and OEM M3 suspension on my sedan. There is something to note about this though:

If you purchase a M3 suspension that requires you to use your existing "tophats" you WILL have to purchase M3 tophats as you will be UNABLE to reuse your non-M3 tophats!!!!! This is very important point to remember (I am referring to part number 1, 7 and 8, when I say "tophat")
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/s/v/115.png

All other components will line up as if OEM non-M3. This includes rear setup, as well as front.

If you have any questions feel free to let me know. :)

That's good to know :) Usually when I have customers go to an M3 setup they will buy the whole suspension. Personally I would just buy aftermarket. KWs or Bilstiens PSS9 or PSS10s. But that is just me.

das boots
10-13-2011, 06:21 PM
If the M3 Suspension's just about out of the question, how about just the M3 Springs? Would they make any big deal?

bullfrogs_M3
10-14-2011, 05:54 PM
If the M3 Suspension's just about out of the question, how about just the M3 Springs? Would they make any big deal?

M3 springs won't fit unless you get those tophat pieces I mentioned above. Also, why not just go with non-M3 springs? Vogtland, UUC, H&R all make a decent spring. Unless you really want the M3 higher spring rate, then go with non-M3 components.

Speaking from experience, M3 suspension on our cars (non-M3) runs VERY VERY stiff. Definitely a corner carver, but way to stiff for daily

das boots
10-15-2011, 08:24 PM
More on suspensions....Since ZHPs have struts in front, can't they be replaced by just getting/purchasing the strut cartridge instead of gettting the whole assembly? Cartridges are cheaper than getting the whole assembly. I figure, by getting the whole assembly, all it will be is to advertise that you have Bilsteins or whatever it is that goes in there. The stock assembly is still as good. It is the cartridge that is the most important. Let me know what you guys think.....Thanks.

danewilson77
10-16-2011, 06:40 AM
When doing front struts....you should also do the strut mounts.....

das boots
10-16-2011, 07:15 AM
I totally agree. I'll just concentrate on getting the cartridges & mounts. Thanks.

danewilson77
10-16-2011, 07:19 AM
Not sure what you mean by cartridge?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-16-2011, 07:38 AM
Strut cartridge?

danewilson77
10-16-2011, 07:55 AM
Strut cartridge?

You're confusing the sheet outta me. What are you referring to when you say "whole assembly" and what's left out when you say only "cartridge"?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-16-2011, 02:09 PM
No worries. I think I am the one in confusion. Evidently, the strut assembly is one piece. I was thinking there might have a separate piston/strut inside the assembly that could just be removed and replaced with a new one.

danewilson77
10-16-2011, 02:26 PM
No worries. I think I am the one in confusion. Evidently, the strut assembly is one piece. I was thinking there might have a separate piston/strut inside the assembly that could just be removed and replaced with a new one.

OK....just wanted to make sure I was helping you the best I could.