PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Black BMW 330 ZHP with SMG in NJ

M3TA5IN
12-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Thought maybe you guys might know who I am talking about. I saw a Black ZHP on e46fanatics for sale awhile back and I cant find it again.

Its a Black 4 door ZHP with I believe around 70k miles on it in New Jersey. Asking price was 16k if I remember right. The easy part to tell it apart is it had a SMG tranny installed and it has like 2k miles on the transmission.

If anyone knows the car I am talking about could you please point me in the right direction.

Thank You
M3TA

gr330zhp
12-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Havent seen it, but I wouldnt think that is a good swap. Unique yes, but the SMG used in the non-Ms was very jerky and clumsy. And someone on Bf.c was having issues at quite low miles as well....

Just what I know :dunno

Marcus-SanDiego
12-20-2010, 08:51 AM
Never saw that car. Wish I could help.

My understanding is that SMG was not offered with the ZHP because of some serious mating issues (making it work well). I'd probably be reluctant to pick up a vehicle with a retrofitted SMG.

But that's me.

Good luck with your search.

mimalmo
12-20-2010, 09:02 AM
Never seen a ZHP with SMG. I've seen a couple 325's and 330's with it though.

Maximus57
12-21-2010, 06:37 AM
The SMG in the 330 ( in 05 anyway) was not the same SMG that comes in the M3. When I was ordering my ZHP, I was told the SMG was different for the 330. I was considering it. I'll need to do some research, but I'm pretty sure you could get the SMG trans with the ZHP package. Remember, the ZHP pack was M style suspension, 135M wheels, steering wheel, M-Tech front and rear bumper, alcantara headliner and 10 more HP. Correct me if I've missed anything. I think I still have my 05 list of options.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-21-2010, 07:28 AM
Jeff, I heard that the SMG was on the option list but that you could not actually order it if you tried.

I would love to know, once and for all, if it actually was something that people could order -- and did order.

The fact that we've never seen one in the wild makes me think that it was not available. You'd think that someone, somewhere, would have ordered it with SMG during the four-year ZHP run.

az3579
12-21-2010, 08:18 AM
You'd think that someone, somewhere, would have ordered it with SMG during the four-year ZHP run.

You'd think.
The reason why we don't ever see any has to be because it wasn't available on the ZHP.

Marcus-SanDiego
12-21-2010, 08:21 AM
That's my thinking, BP. It was not available on the ZHP -- despite the fact that it showed up as available on option sheets. When people tried to add it, no dice. BMW would not allow it to be configured that way.

MsRN
01-20-2011, 09:13 PM
M3TA5IN--

I don't recall exactly where I heard this, but I seem to remember the e46 SMG as being one to avoid. Shifting was poor at best, to my recollection...

Marcus-SanDiego
01-20-2011, 09:17 PM
I haven't had a lot of time behind the wheel of SMG-optioned cars but in the few I was in, there was some serious lurching at low speeds. Did not like.