PDA

View Full Version : i killed my zhp. help!!!

acontzhp
10-15-2011, 07:12 PM
Well to start things off the UPS guy F***d me over the last three days. No one is home when he delivers packages but i signed the slip and left it for him to see and leave the package when no one is home, but he never did. he was suppose to deliver the hose/tube that connects after the MAF. Now its being sent back to Getbmwparts.com

Well here is where the killing the car comes in. today i decided to pop the hood and plug the huge gash in hose/tube with duct tape i loosened the clamps and i removed the first part of the tube. all i did to plug it was wrap duct tape around it and put everything back in place the way it was . i know i shouldn't have done that but my car was throwing codes and i wanted to see if i plugged the gash it would go away.
i put everything back the way its was. it wasnt complicated.

Now my car wont start. i messed the that MAF plug and the tube/hose and nothing happens. The car wont turn

The codes i was showing were p9171 and p0174

I'm genuinely sad right now. Help

P.S. sorry if my grammar/wording is off. i'm sad, had a few beers and using my phone.

danewilson77
10-15-2011, 07:31 PM
You didn't kill it. Just chill.

It's ok that you used duct tape. I have done it before waiting on lower intake boot for my old ZSP.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Newjack
10-15-2011, 07:33 PM
So you were never able to start the car after you put tape over the intake boot? Does the car make any noises when you try and start it? I would try to get some MAF sensor cleaner which might get rid of your P0174 code. The new intake boot should fix the problem though.

You mention getbmwparts.com, are you in the MD area?

UdubBadger
10-15-2011, 10:00 PM
yeah sounds to me like something else is causing it to not start. even a dirty maf sensor wouldn't kill it from turning over, it would just throw a code.

echo46
10-16-2011, 04:26 AM
What, if any, type of noise is the car making when you attempt to crank it?

danewilson77
10-16-2011, 06:39 AM
OP.....OP.......You there?

acontzhp
10-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Well the car does not even turn over for starters

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

UdubBadger
10-16-2011, 08:55 AM
nice pun... lol

again, duct tape over a hose isn't going to make the car not crank. Something else is the issue.

Do you have power in the car? Even if you do you could be lower than required to turn it over.
Do you see anything unplugged?
Could it be a totally unrelated issue that just happened at the same time, like a bad ignition?

It just honestly sounds like the hose is NOT the issue here.

danewilson77
10-16-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm with badger. Start with verifying batter voltage at 12.5 volts or >. Then, check start.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

acontzhp
10-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Well the car does have power it just doesn't crank. I managed to start the car once and it ran fine. All I did was mess with the MAF sensor plug . But now it won't start again. i'm going to go purchase maf cleaner right now

jreyes19
10-16-2011, 09:41 AM
I would have to agree with everyone here the MAF would not cause the car to not start
would have to be electronic or possibly ignition coils (idk)

is it like this
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1482127 (car will not try to turn, lights just flash)
solution: inner shortage within battery, just needed replacement

or is it cold (below 50 degrees) could be Fuel Pump Relay (tries but will not start)

let us know what exactly happens, maybe a video may help

danewilson77
10-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Well the car does have power it just doesn't crank. I managed to start the car once and it ran fine. All I did was mess with the MAF sensor plug . But now it won't start again. i'm going to go purchase maf cleaner right now

Ugh. OK.....

MrMaico
10-16-2011, 10:34 AM
A shot in the dark here but.....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1694141

http://blog.bavauto.com/5677/bmw-e46-3-series-engine-elecronics-fuse-pack-in-underhood-e-box/

In his case though the car would turn over but maybe there is a different fuse in there that would disable the starter also. Worth a shot and easy enough to check.

acontzhp
10-16-2011, 11:41 AM
Btw I love you all. Thanks for the responses and links. I'm trying everything. I'll post a video here in a bit

danewilson77
10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Just tell me what you're battery tests at....then we'll go from there....

Newjack
10-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Just tell me what you're battery tests at....then we'll go from there....

This.

LG Revolution + Tapatalk

zj96sc
10-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Wait, you got it to start once since this problem began?

telijah
10-16-2011, 04:19 PM
OP, your replies are sporadic at best and are not making sense to a lot of us. You need to tell us, when you turn the ignition key, are you hearing anything??? We understand it doesn't crank, but even telling us if you hear clicking, whinning, whurring etc could give us some directions. Whurring/whinning likely means you're fuel pump is working. Clicking likely means the starter is trying to engage. Nothing means, well could be a few, but points to likely being an electrical problem. Messing up the MAF will not cause this new symptom you're experiencing. Also, posting while drunk doesn't usually help either when trying to get advice lol.

Edit: Please read this without emotion, this is a legitimate attempt to help you, to help us in helping you... my lack of the use of smiley faces may not have helped convey this.

kayger12
10-16-2011, 04:41 PM
OP, your replies are sporadic at best and are not making sense to a lot of us. You need to tell us, when you turn the ignition key, are you hearing anything??? We understand it doesn't crank, but even telling us if you hear clicking, whinning, whurring etc could give us some directions. Whurring/whinning likely means you're fuel pump is working. Clicking likely means the starter is trying to engage. Nothing means, well could be a few, but points to likely being an electrical problem. Messing up the MAF will not cause this new symptom you're experiencing. Also, posting while drunk doesn't usually help either when trying to get advice lol.

Check your PMs please.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

acontzhp
10-16-2011, 09:02 PM
Alright here goes a more detailed/sober post

Well i forgot to mention a few very important things. im sure the problem is electrical. My car died twice on me randomly in the past while driving it. both time it happened the same way, car was running normally and then when i was slowing down to make a turn it just died. by died i mean engine just stopped running and while the rest of the electronic components in the car didn't miss a beat and continued running normally. all i did was put it in neutral and it started right up and ran fine with no unusual noises. i couldn't duplicate the incident. i randomly get the light that shows that one of the tail lights is out sometimes and it does away on its own. no taillights are ever out. the light randomly comes and goes. and im pretty sure that the that taillight light came on both times my car died on me

now yesterday all i did was put tape around the hose and out everything back the way it was. now the car wont start. the whole car gets power. it just doesnt turn at all. i can hear a buzz in the engine when i turn the key to position 2 and thats all that happens.

another thing that has changed is my key. i took it apart because it was no longer working i am going to replace the battery. i dont think that would have anything to do.......................................

OKAY as i was typing this i i figured it out. i was my key that was the problem.

acontzhp
10-16-2011, 09:04 PM
I put the other part of the key back on and it started right up

acontzhp
10-16-2011, 09:18 PM
i realize that if i would have given a more detailed post from the beginning someone here would have immediately told me it was the key. i put the half of the key back on even with no battery and it starts right up every time. sorry for wasting everyone's time. i appreciate everyone's help.

danewilson77
10-17-2011, 03:53 AM
Alright here goes a more detailed/sober post

Well i forgot to mention a few very important things. im sure the problem is electrical. My car died twice on me randomly in the past while driving it. both time it happened the same way, car was running normally and then when i was slowing down to make a turn it just died. by died i mean engine just stopped running and while the rest of the electronic components in the car didn't miss a beat and continued running normally. all i did was put it in neutral and it started right up and ran fine with no unusual noises. i couldn't duplicate the incident. i randomly get the light that shows that one of the tail lights is out sometimes and it does away on its own. no taillights are ever out. the light randomly comes and goes. and im pretty sure that the that taillight light came on both times my car died on me

now yesterday all i did was put tape around the hose and out everything back the way it was. now the car wont start. the whole car gets power. it just doesnt turn at all. i can hear a buzz in the engine when i turn the key to position 2 and thats all that happens.

another thing that has changed is my key. i took it apart because it was no longer working i am going to replace the battery. i dont think that would have anything to do.......................................

OKAY as i was typing this i i figured it out. i was my key that was the problem.

Those are all great details. So it was your key? Car is all better? Car not brokey?

You didn't waste anyones time. No harm...no foul. We just try to help...the best we can.

zj96sc
10-17-2011, 04:03 AM
Yeah, you've got the EWS or whatever they call it on the E46, antenna in the key ring and electronic gizmohickeys in the key that send a signal. Car was trying to keep you from "stealing" it.

Good diagnosis.

UdubBadger
10-17-2011, 04:07 AM
lol

Newjack
10-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Glad you figured out what was wrong and it was an easy fix.

Just like Dane said, no one is mad here we just want to help. That's what family does!

LG Revolution + Tapatalk

telijah
10-17-2011, 07:23 AM
Aw man, glad you found it. I love it when I start thinking out loud, and then bam, the solution hits you right in the face. On a kind of related note, are you sure the battery in the key is faulty? The batteries on our keys are known for just breaking the soldered connection to the board it's integrated to. I took mine apart, and had a buddy simply fix the connection, and the key, particularly the key-less entry, works like a charm now.

acontzhp
10-17-2011, 07:49 AM
Aw man, glad you found it. I love it when I start thinking out loud, and then bam, the solution hits you right in the face. On a kind of related note, are you sure the battery in the key is faulty? The batteries on our keys are known for just breaking the soldered connection to the board it's integrated to. I took mine apart, and had a buddy simply fix the connection, and the key, particularly the key-less entry, works like a charm now.

yeah thinking out loud/sober helps. The connections on the battery in the key seem fine. I'm in my way to get a battery now.