PDA

View Full Version : Bilsteins or Koni?

das boots
10-17-2011, 12:12 PM
I had experience with Bilsteins. What are the thoughts on Koni? My Bilsteins were used for my M3 (retired track car, now GQ), M Technics or my semi-track/auto-X cars. But this ZHP will be more of a DD & pleasure. So, spirited driving will be okay but no Auto-X. Aside from price, I need thoughts on Koni. I don't intend to get the adjustable Koni's. Thinking of getting the Shock & Strut Kit STR.T. Yes, $$$ is also in play. Thanks.

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0l/Suspension/Shocks/

danewilson77
10-17-2011, 12:27 PM
So....what kits are in play here?

das boots
10-17-2011, 12:36 PM
Koni's the only one that has the kit. Not much else.

danewilson77
10-17-2011, 12:47 PM
Koni's the only one that has the kit. Not much else.

So...it looked like the question was Bilsteins or Koni's.....then in your writeup you ask as well about STR?

You can buy Bilstein PSS9's/10's. Solid setup. Tein SS. KW V1/V2's. Or Koni's. Do you want lowering capability?

mikeyb74
10-17-2011, 12:50 PM
I have Bilstein Sports which are really nice but seem to have a high rate of failures. If you do decide to go with Bilstien Sports make sure you go with the M3 application for the rear.

UdubBadger
10-17-2011, 02:40 PM
loved my bilstein pss9's. i hear konis are good but i had to go with the bilsteins reputation.

danewilson77
10-17-2011, 02:40 PM
I have Bilstein Sports which are really nice but seem to have a high rate of failures. If you do decide to go with Bilstien Sports make sure you go with the M3 application for the rear.

Never heard of high rate of failures on these. Where did you hear?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

johnrando
10-17-2011, 03:57 PM

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Definitely heard about the high failure rate on the rears. So much so that they were replacing them with something completely different IIRC. Maybe it was on e46f.c, not sure.

danewilson77
10-17-2011, 05:20 PM
Definitely heard about the high failure rate on the rears. So much so that they were replacing them with something completely different IIRC. Maybe it was on e46f.c, not sure.

Damn....see if you can find that thread....Thanks

das boots
10-17-2011, 07:11 PM
So...it looked like the question was Bilsteins or Koni's.....then in your writeup you ask as well about STR?

You can buy Bilstein PSS9's/10's. Solid setup. Tein SS. KW V1/V2's. Or Koni's. Do you want lowering capability?

Will not lower. I know of Bilstein's reputation. Since I do not have enough $$$ for now, I will probly have to do the suspension change in stages. Most immediate are the rear shocks replacement. Since Bilsteins are within reach for the rears. Will have to fore go the front struts for a later date. What are KW V1/V2s? Pardon the ignorance.....

UdubBadger
10-17-2011, 07:13 PM
coils just like the pss9/10 system, just not as good :p

danewilson77
10-18-2011, 04:07 AM

Mmmm...

das boots
10-18-2011, 05:19 AM

PSS 9/10 or any coilovers will be going overboard for me. This will be a DD and for taking grandkids to play. Spirited driving, yes. But tracking, no. Canyon carving, once in a while for our cruise. Heck, I still have my M3 to play around. My tracking days in all probability are over....consider me retired tracker. Let's just say, my reactions are not as well honed as before. Just concentrate on instructing and building the club for the better.

johnrando
10-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Damn....see if you can find that thread....Thanks

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=830014&page=2

mikeyb74
10-18-2011, 12:11 PM

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I deal with warranties on them all the time.

das boots
10-18-2011, 12:16 PM

What do you consider an M3 application for Bilsteins for the rears? Any P/Ns?

mikeyb74
10-18-2011, 01:54 PM
What do you consider an M3 application for Bilsteins for the rears? Any P/Ns?

Bilstein Sports for a e36 M3 rears is part number #BE5 2453. ZHP rear replacement from BMW cost $172 ea.

das boots
10-21-2011, 06:06 PM
I was in communication with a rep from Bilsteins to inquire on purchase and prices. I gave him the necessary info of my ZHP (still to be named). I gave him my specifications for B8 SP sports shocks & struts. He said that for my ZHP, he recommended B6 HD Shock & Struts. If I have stock and does not have aftermarket springs. Are the springs for the ZHPs have Premium (Sports) springs? Granted, sooner or later, I will be upgrading to an aftermarket springs (H&R Sports). But for now, why get B6 HDs when I know a B8 SPs are compatible? I explained to him that my E46 is a ZHP. He did not comprehend the ZHP part. For them, an E46 is still a E46. Just different engine sizes. Can anybody can shed some light on this? Thanks.

danewilson77
10-21-2011, 06:27 PM
Would giving him the p/n from realoem help? Damn...that's right...it doesn't give p/n's for the springs.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

das boots
10-21-2011, 07:05 PM
I gave up explaining the ZHP information. Looking at other directions.

S85FTW
10-22-2011, 06:49 PM
Have you considered other brands? I currently installed BC coilovers and I am pretty happy with the ride. The stiffness adjustment knobs on each shock tower has been clutch. (I adjust to softer setting when the fiance is in the car, and rougher when I drive alone) She did not notice a difference from the day before when the stock suspension was on the car. The BC-BR are $1000 shipped and have a one year warranty, after that $80 fee for the replacement of any failed parts.

http://www.bcracing-na.com/

das boots
10-22-2011, 08:39 PM
Even those guys don't know what they're talking about, I already have a rough idea on what I will be getting. Thanks.