PDA

View Full Version : My oil leak FML thread.

Whitexi
10-19-2011, 05:42 AM
So I was changing my brakes yesterday and decided to take a look to see if the oils leaking. I found out it is, so now untill I can get a really good look this weekend im guessing its either.

1. Oil pan gasket FML
2. Rear main seal FMMFL

I have 2 of them. Ones up on the drivers side mid way on the oil pan. The other is near the rear of the trans / oil pan but it seems to be running from the oil pan gasket down to the bottom of the. trans. Neither is big enough to loose as much oil as I have been which tends to be 1quart every 3k. On the one splsh guard is a very small amount of oil spot that was it. I will take pics this weekend and clean it up and try and see where its from a bit better.

telijah
10-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Hopefully, if it's one of the two, it's the oil pan. It's still a PITA, but the lesser of two evils. I change my oil every 7500 miles, and I generally would have to top off the oil with one quart in between oil changes. I put a new clutch in and had the rear main done at the same time, and have not had to top off the oil again. I mention this as the interval of which you said you have to top off oil was about the same as mine, and it was the rear main's fault :(

Whitexi
10-19-2011, 06:26 AM
With whatever it is im hoping it will wait till the spring so that way I can decide if its something I want to do or just take it somewhere. Im thinking it is easiest to pull the whole motor and trans together from the front. I believe the rad support unbolts from the front of the car and isn't welded.

kayger12
10-19-2011, 06:31 AM
Ugh. Keep us in the loop, Ryan.

Hopefully it's the oil pan.

Ryans323i
10-19-2011, 06:41 AM
So I was changing my brakes yesterday and decided to take a look to see if the oils leaking. I found out it is, so now untill I can get a really good look this weekend im guessing its either.

1. Oil pan gasket FML
2. Rear main seal FMMFL

I have 2 of them. Ones up on the drivers side mid way on the oil pan. The other is near the rear of the trans / oil pan but it seems to be running from the oil pan gasket down to the bottom of the. trans. Neither is big enough to loose as much oil as I have been which tends to be 1quart every 3k. On the one splash guard is a very small amount of oil spot that was it. I will take pics this weekend and clean it up and try and see where its from a bit better.

I just noticed I have this same leak. I've decided to deal. :eeps I'm not sure if it's the oil pan gasket or rear main seal, but neither are a DIY I want to get right to fixing.

Edit. Just noticed the amount of oil you said you were losing. Thought I'd add I haven't lost any noticeable oil in the last 2k miles.

telijah
10-19-2011, 08:01 AM
The oil pan is doable on the ground, just a lot of unbolting. The trans however, is very not-fun to do from the ground.

Whitexi
10-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Ugh. Keep us in the loop, Ryan.

Hopefully it's the oil pan.

Will do, im gonna take a better look Saturday after work.

I just noticed I have this same leak. I've decided to deal. :eeps I'm not sure if it's the oil pan gasket or rear main seal, but neither are a DIY I want to get right to fixing.

Edit. Just noticed the amount of oil you said you were losing. Thought I'd add I haven't lost any noticeable oil in the last 2k miles.

Kinda both but I can't see the amount im loosing end up on the car anywhere. Its not like it would hit the ground either I have splash shield all across the bottom of the carfront to the back of the trans. As you said im not looking foward to doing these fixes as of yet. Im hoping they stay the same for now till mid next year atleast. I can do a quart every 3k3k im fine with that.

The oil pan is doable on the ground, just a lot of unbolting. The trans however, is very not-fun to do from the ground.

Yea im gonna look up about the pan, I know the a frame has to be lowerd. If its the rear main I can't see getting to all those trans bolts from under the car. Seems more logical to remove the whole drivetrain in one unit from the top if I could.

telijah
10-19-2011, 10:42 AM
Hah, I would never think yanking the whole thing out the top is easier. And the trans is doable from the ground, but due to space, you need a bizarre combination of socket extensions and swivels to get to the 2 most upper bolts.

Hornung418
10-19-2011, 12:17 PM
I think you should just pull the motor and trans and get all of your leaks sealed up in one go...even if it doesn't seem to be leaking now, if you have the means to do it, don't hesitate! It'll be like having a brand new motor. Also consider doing your top-end valve guides and seals.

Let us know what you find out on your Saturday Inspection, Ry!

OT: The above is my plan for winter/summer break...I've got my eyes on Dane's spare M52TUB28 from his boss's overheated 528i...gonna build it up and make it like new, minus the TimeSerts (I'm almost positive the head bolts won't torque down if there's no compression in some of the cylinders...If I'm lucky it's just in need of a new headgasket). Once built...it will be going into my ride...or a 2002 if I can find a rust free example...:shifty

telijah
10-19-2011, 12:21 PM
Man what I would do to have a proper garage again. It would almost never be used for parking, yet would be covered in the tools needed for all mechanic work.

Hornung418
10-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Man what I would do to have a proper garage again. It would almost never be used for parking, yet would be covered in the tools needed for all mechanic work.
My permanent address is the only house in the block with out a garage...I totally feel you on that. All my work gets done under my neighbor's Acer platanoides or Norway Maple...which is a very nice shade tree.

Whitexi
10-19-2011, 04:36 PM
I have a garage and could get a engine hoist. I know it sounds unreal but you never know. I figured if i was to remove most of the drive train items on my car that instead of fighting for the trans bolts I could remove it all and do most the gaskets. Im gonna try and find out what needs to be removed etc.

kayger12
10-19-2011, 05:27 PM
OT: The above is my plan for winter/summer break...I've got my eyes on Dane's spare M52TUB28 from his boss's overheated 528i...gonna build it up and make it like new, minus the TimeSerts (I'm almost positive the head bolts won't torque down if there's no compression in some of the cylinders...If I'm lucky it's just in need of a new headgasket). Once built...it will be going into my ride...or a 2002 if I can find a rust free example...:shifty

Uncle Keith highly approves of this plan.
:like

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
10-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Uncle Keith highly approves of this plan.
:like

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

+1

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

echo46
10-20-2011, 04:48 AM
What would this cost at an Indy? Just curious.

danewilson77
10-20-2011, 05:03 AM
What would this cost at an Indy? Just curious.

$2500.00

Whitexi
10-20-2011, 05:39 AM
$2500.00

Not sure if serious.... im thinking 8it to 12the hrs for the oil pan gasket and the rear main is whatever the labor to remove and instal the trans. So $2,500 for both maybe yea.

danewilson77
10-20-2011, 05:50 AM
I thought we were talking about Justin's job.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Whitexi
10-20-2011, 06:27 AM
I thought we were talking about Justin's job.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Oh ok, I was confused.

danewilson77
10-20-2011, 07:51 AM
Oh ok, I was confused.

No worries...Justin tried to jack your thread...and I fell into his wicked trap....:biggrin.

Hornung418
10-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Hahha...I'll be following your plan of attack very carefully, Ryan. I'm going to be doing the same thing sooner or later. No hijack intended.

danewilson77
10-20-2011, 08:07 AM
Hahha...I'll be following your plan of attack very carefully, Ryan. I'm going to be doing the same thing sooner or later. No hijack intended.

Like a Boss. I knew that would draw you out into the open.

BOOM!

Whitexi
10-20-2011, 03:45 PM
lol its ok, a busy thread is a good one.