PDA

View Full Version : DSC & Brake light both Yellow

BCS_ZHP
10-19-2011, 06:52 AM
Describing this second hand, the wife is driving it. Both DSC light & brake light are illuminated yellow. Had her stop the car, pull & release the parking brake. With parking brake applied, the brake light is red (as it should be) and goes to yellow when she releases it. Had her try to reset the DSC button, no change. Had her turn the car off and restart it, both lights went off but as soon as she started to move the car they both returned.

So called the Indy for his Phone diagnosis. He said either the DSC controller under the hood has gone bad and that's an expensive little box or a wheel sensor has gone bad or been thrown and that's not too hateful. I'm going to have the wife drop it off at the Indy for a diagnosis.

Any other ideas?

mikeyb74
10-19-2011, 06:54 AM
I bet it's a faulty ABS sensor. Which are alot cheaper and more common to fail than the control module.

SonOfWMB
10-19-2011, 06:54 AM
That combination of lights indicates the DSC is fully off, but I have no idea what the root cause might be.

danewilson77
10-19-2011, 07:08 AM
Alignment or Wheel Speed Sensor.

kayger12
10-19-2011, 07:12 AM
+1 on the wheel speed sensor.

Alignment would have to be way off to trigger the light.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

BCS_ZHP
10-19-2011, 07:34 AM
Wheel speed sensor -- any rough estimates on what that might cost me?

danewilson77
10-19-2011, 07:52 AM
Sensor....$150ish diy.

Shop.......over $200 with labor...depending on how much they like your pooper.

BCS_ZHP
10-19-2011, 07:59 AM
DW,
Thanks for that ROM estimate.

Wifey's pooper is cuter, will send her to the indy's shop. Maybe she can even carry in some baked goods, that tends to reduce the labor bill.

pleasecorrupt
10-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Had that happen to me once before, upon another start up it was gone. Googled cause and if I remember correctly, nothing is wrong unless consistently on as the others have pointed out.

podkaz
10-19-2011, 08:49 AM
had this happen on my m3 once in the past and i believe topping of the break fluid level solved the problem, but definitely a defective wheel sensor is a possibility. There are several threads about this on the m3forum.net if you search

Hornung418
10-19-2011, 09:26 AM
had this happen on my m3 once in the past and i believe topping of the break fluid level solved the problem, but definitely a defective wheel sensor is a possibility. There are several threads about this on the m3forum.net if you search
+1

This was part of my first issue with my 328i. Didn't fully solve it, but it helped for a little bit. Unfortunately my Module failed; Fixed at BMW, Paid by Used dealer ;) totaled $752 parts and labor.

BCS_ZHP
10-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys. I just replaced the brakes & rotors about 6-7K miles ago, also changed the fluid when I did that. My wife is known to have 2 driving speeds, full throttle & full brake, so possibly she's been hard enough on the brakes to make the fluid level drop already. I'll check it when I get home tonight.

GT172I
10-19-2011, 10:54 AM

That's what I came in to say, the brake fluid was low after doing my pads and rotors and flushing the system. I didn't fill it back up quite enough, had the same symptoms and after filling hasn't been back since (>1yr). Researched the symptoms to a wheel speed sensor as well but facepalmed when I checked the fluid just to be safe. A quick and easy check anyways before you go buying parts.

llll1l1ll
10-20-2011, 11:27 AM
Just another lesson in starting with the easiest to fix problems first, then working your way up. At least when diagnosing, e.g. making sure the part works. If you flat out replace the inexpensive and work your way up, you will spend too much money.

BCS_ZHP
10-20-2011, 01:53 PM
An update -- checked the brake fluid last night, it was full. Took it for a test ride and no lights. She's driving it today and again, no lights. Will have to continue to watch this.

Bruce

ryankokesh
11-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Hmm, my brake light trio lit up on the way home tonight. Any update on this, Bruce?

Checked out my brake fluid, and there was plenty. Can't believe it's a coincidence that I did my brakes two weeks ago. Doh.

ryankokesh
11-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Started driving the car this morning (next day) and all the lights turned off. Crazy car... well see what happens I guess.

danewilson77
11-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Started driving the car this morning (next day) and all the lights turned off. Crazy car... well see what happens I guess.

Could mean car is on threshold of being mis-aligned?

ryankokesh
11-12-2011, 04:38 AM
Funny you should say that, it is misaligned... Gotta get that taken care of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BCS_ZHP
11-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Ryan,
Here's the update -- its been over 3 weeks since the lights cleared themselves and they have not reappeared. I checked tire wear and it looks amazing true, so think the alignment if fine. And she's not shy about putting miles on it (quickly closing in on 25K), so hopefully it was just a glitch of some unknown electrical gremlin.
Bruce

ryankokesh
11-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the update, Bruce. Hopefully my lights won't be back on either... I should prolly get that alignment done though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NickZHP
05-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I have had the yellow DSC and brake lights on for about a week. It went away the past 2 days but just came on again when I put the parking brake on. Is the wheel speed sensor the usual cause for this? Is this something I am going to have to get checked out?

trancenation
05-22-2014, 11:38 AM
It can be the wheel speed sensors or 1 of the 2 brake pressure sensors. I'd check out the wheel speed sensors and clean them. If you have the capability of scanning the car with a code reader then it can pin point your problem (BMW SCANNER v1.4). I had this same problem with my M and it happened to be one of the brake pressure sensors.

orange260z
07-02-2014, 02:42 PM
How did you replace the pressure sensor? Does the fluid no just come gushing out?

BCS_ZHP
07-02-2014, 04:02 PM
How did you replace the pressure sensor? Does the fluid no just come gushing out?

Orange,
There's another thread out there somewhere when I had the exact same issue on another ZHP, it turned out to be the pressure sensors on the brake master cylinder. Since it was at the dealer and they had the $150 diagnosis already under their belt, I was busy at work and elected to have them do it. I did talk with the tech before and afterwards, he gave me his word it was the sensor and not the module, said he'd eat the repeat labor if he was wrong. I think the bill was about $800 to replace both sensors at the master cylinder. And yes, the tech told me it's a total mess because all the fluid comes out. I knew this because I had ATE blue racing brake fluid and he called me to ask is I wanted the same put back in it.
Bruce

ELCID86
07-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Orange,
There's another thread out there somewhere when I had the exact same issue on another ZHP, it turned out to be the pressure sensors on the brake master cylinder. Since it was at the dealer and they had the $150 diagnosis already under their belt, I was busy at work and elected to have them do it. I did talk with the tech before and afterwards, he gave me his word it was the sensor and not the module, said he'd eat the repeat labor if he was wrong. I think the bill was about $800 to replace both sensors at the master cylinder. And yes, the tech told me it's a total mess because all the fluid comes out. I knew this because I had ATE blue racing brake fluid and he called me to ask is I wanted the same put back in it.
Bruce

I do recall yours being in the $800 range Bruce. I was considering a car that had the light on at the time.

Thumbs, iPhone, Tapatalk.

Vas
05-10-2015, 06:50 PM
Don't mean to bump an old thread but i am having this exact issue now with one of my cars.

Pulled the codes and this is what I got

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/10/f4eaa43566798376ea178690fd6590ab.jpg

Shall I just bite the bullet and get the sensor? And bleed the brakes at the same time ?

I disconnected the other sensor at the master cylinder, scanned the car and got the same code but for sensor 1.

Just wondering if it is the sensor or something else ?

BCS_ZHP
05-11-2015, 05:20 AM
Vas,
When this happened to me, I talked with the tech and asked how he knew it was the brake sensors at the master cylinder vice the module. He told the modules are known to go bad on e39s, almost never go bad on an e46. And your code is pointing to the sensor so I'd go ahead and replace both of them.
Bruce

Vas
05-11-2015, 05:29 AM
Vas,
When this happened to me, I talked with the tech and asked how he knew it was the brake sensors at the master cylinder vice the module. He told the modules are known to go bad on e39s, almost never go bad on an e46. And your code is pointing to the sensor so I'd go ahead and replace both of them.
Bruce

Bruce,

That is good to know. :)

I will order the sensor and bleed the brakes at the same time. Will report back when it is done.

Currently there is no yellow lights on the dash.

Vas
05-11-2015, 09:44 AM
Part number for those that might need it is 34521164458. Price per sensor is $119 for an OE part.

trancenation
05-11-2015, 10:05 AM
Don't mean to bump an old thread but i am having this exact issue now with one of my cars.

Pulled the codes and this is what I got

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/10/f4eaa43566798376ea178690fd6590ab.jpg

Shall I just bite the bullet and get the sensor? And bleed the brakes at the same time ?

I disconnected the other sensor at the master cylinder, scanned the car and got the same code but for sensor 1.

Just wondering if it is the sensor or something else ?

I had the same symptoms on my E46 M3, and it turned out to be a faulty sensor. It's highly recommended to drain and bleed and brake system, otherwise brake fluid will pour out everywhere.

Vas
05-11-2015, 10:10 AM
I had the same symptoms on my E46 M3, and it turned out to be a faulty sensor. It's highly recommended to drain and bleed and brake system, otherwise brake fluid will pour out everywhere.

Glad to know. Hoping this will be an easy but an expensive fix.

orange260z
05-12-2015, 02:26 AM
I've bought the pair of sensors, but haven't gotten around to replacing them yet. My problem has been VERY intermittent, and hasn't bothered me lately (knock on wood). I will likely let a pro deal with the mess when I finally get fed up.

Jon D
05-12-2015, 06:56 AM
There was another old thread on this

traction control + brake light (in yellow) - what's up?

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?11142-traction-control-brake-light-%28in-yellow%29-what-s-up&p=300944#post300944

sounded familiar had the issue a while ago and I had to replace the ABS pressure sensors.

Vas
05-12-2015, 07:21 AM
There is also this thread about the issue
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?10464-DSC-Light