PDA

View Full Version : Help my lower back and key FOB!

CERF04ZHP
10-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Just a couple of concerns, maybe you guys can point me in the right direction.
One of the few things that my ZHP didn't come with, and I wish it had, was lumbar support for the seats. I have black leather, and although mostly supportive, I do miss lumbar support.
My question: If I were to find a set of black leather seats with lumbar support, is it a direct plug-and-play replacement? Or are there other modifications involved?
Next: I've always only had one master key for my car, and the plastic valet. The range on my key seemed to be getting shorter and shorter to the point where I had to be within 5 feet of my car to get it to lock or unlock. Well, I thought it would be a good time to retire that master key to a back-up (plus it was getting pretty ratty) and get a nice new one for daily use. So I bit the bullet and bought a new master key at the dealer. It's all good, programmed and works fine. My problem? The range is the same as the old one, maybe 10 feet at the most. My wife's e53 X5 has range of probably 40-50 ft., on presumably the original key. Can I do anything to improve the range of my new key?
Thanks!

Hermes
10-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Lumbar can be added in, you just have to pull the seat apart. Sounds like you have the GM5 issue like me. I've been doing the 'hold key to chin' trick and that works fine for now, I'm eventually gonna get my GM5 redone

CERF04ZHP
10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Lumbar can be added in, you just have to pull the seat apart. Sounds like you have the GM5 issue like me. I've been doing the 'hold key to chin' trick and that works fine for now, I'm eventually gonna get my GM5 redone

So I can't just find a set of complete black leather sport seats with lumbar and swap them in?

What's the GM5? :dunno

Hermes
10-19-2011, 10:47 AM
You could, it'll cost you a lot more though... I say to just try to find some M3 seats w/lumbar if you wanna go all out

GM5 - http://www.bmwgm5.com/GM5_Repair_Service.htm

CERF04ZHP
10-19-2011, 11:18 AM
Thanks!

mikeyb74
10-19-2011, 11:42 AM
Channing, Why do you need lumbar support when your commute is what 20 minutes? ;) I would to love add lumbar support to the front seats in my e46. That is one of a few features I miss that the Altima had.

I stopped in at your work this past Monday evening and you were already gone.

telijah
10-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Or go real cheap and get some portable inflatable pillow back there. Even at 250 pounds at 31 years old, I have amazingly never had to worry about back problems, so my suggestion is kind of in jest.

mikeyb74
10-19-2011, 11:46 AM
I just did a google search and this link came up for retrofitting lumbar support into US spec e46s.

http://www.tmk.com/lumbar/index.shtml

Hermes
10-19-2011, 11:53 AM
FYI the lumbar support is not the best, my E32 was much better

mikeyb74
10-19-2011, 12:01 PM
FYI the lumbar support is not the best, my E32 was much better

that would be an apple to orange comparo...You had an e32?

zj96sc
10-19-2011, 12:01 PM
From what I understand, the GM5 repair repairs relays that unlock the doors but are not related to keyless range capability.

My take is that, if all of your doors are locking/unlocking as they should except only within close range, the GM5 is not your problem.

Hermes
10-19-2011, 12:05 PM
that would be an apple to orange comparo...You had an e32?

True, just making a point since I have the lumbar feature on my seats. And yes I had a '91 Alpinweiss as my first car when I turned 16, it was my uncles old car. Was killed by a Lincoln about 9 years ago

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c288/jhermes/side.jpg

mikeyb74
10-19-2011, 12:16 PM
Ouch! Good first car for a 16 y/o. Better than what I had. 88 Olds Delta 88 Royale Coupe with a small block 307 v8 that was carbed.

telijah
10-19-2011, 12:20 PM
I just did a google search and this link came up for retrofitting lumbar support into US spec e46s.

http://www.tmk.com/lumbar/index.shtml

So quick calculation, assuming both seats are done and the optional covers, and also assuming you already had the other tools where prices are not listed, this would cost 442.23 at the list prices... I'd just get a pillow lol.

Also, my E32 didn't have lumbar, but I had sport seats, so not sure if that was why.

mikeyb74
10-19-2011, 12:22 PM
So quick calculation, assuming both seats are done and the optional covers, and also assuming you already had the other tools where prices are not listed, this would cost 442.23 at the list prices... I'd just get a pillow lol.

Also, my E32 didn't have lumbar, but I had sport seats, so not sure if that was why.

For that much I would just look for a set of sport seats. A grannie pillow would be alot cheaper...

CERF04ZHP
10-19-2011, 01:44 PM
From what I understand, the GM5 repair repairs relays that unlock the doors but are not related to keyless range capability.

My take is that, if all of your doors are locking/unlocking as they should except only within close range, the GM5 is not your problem.

Agreed.