PDA

View Full Version : Wheel care tips - courtesy of ModBargins.com

ryankokesh
10-21-2011, 05:05 AM
Not sure if this is okay to post, so Marcus et al feel free to delete if you'd like! I know some of this is common sense to many if us, but I thought some might find it fairly helpful. Plus a refresher never hurts!

I received this in an email, so although I'd normally just link to it, I'll have to resort to pasting it here in its entirety and giving credit to the folks over at www.modbargins.com!

Quote:
"Tips To Avoid Damaged Wheels
At ModBargains, we have a lot of experience with wheels. We've been in this busines a long time, and we've seen it all. We want to pass on some of our knowledge to you on how to keep your wheels in great condition for the long term. These tips apply to wheels of all construction types - cast, forged, flow-formed, etc. Hopefully this helps, let us know what you think!

Maintain Your Tire Pressure Levels. Check the tire manufacturer's website for exact details for your tires. The only thing protecting your wheels from the road is your tires. If they are not properly inflated, the chance of a bent or cracked wheel skyrockets.

Avoid Construction Zones. Uneven pavement is a major cause of damaged wheels. If you know a road is under construction, take an alternate route. Even if it takes extra time, it's worth it to avoid damaging your wheels or suspension.
Know the Warning Signs that a Pothole is Nearby. Potholes are most likely to develop during and immediately after harsh weather such as rain storms. Always be more on alert at these times. If you see loose gravel on the road, chances are a fresh pothole is nearby. See the picture to the right that shows a pothole and loose gravel right next to it. This is what to be on the lookout for.

Don't Let Other People Drive Your Car. Less experience behind the wheel of your car increases the chance your friend or family member could run into a curb or not be as attentive to road hazards. Do they really care about the condition of your wheels as much as you do?

Do Not Use Wheel Cleaners or Degreasers. Clean your wheels with mild soap & water ONLY. If you wouldn't spray it on your car's paint, don't spray it on your wheels!! Looking for products to protect your wheels? Contact our friends at www.DetailedImage.com - they are good guys and know what you will need!

Avoid Parallel Parking. This is the top cause of curb rash damages. If you have a choice, park in a standard parking space.

Avoid Automatic Car Washes. Automatic rails can cause curb rash, employees may use harsh chemical cleaners on your wheels damaging the clear coat or paint.

My Wheel Just Got Destroyed by a Pothole!! What do I do Now?
In the event that you drive through a road hazard which damages your wheels, pull over to a safe area and immediately use your camera phone to take a picture of the pothole or construction zone which caused the damage. You can then report the incident with photo evidence to your city and in most cases they will reimburse you for the replacement costs. How do we know this? Two of us here at ModBargains have personally been successful with this.

Don't forget after having wheels and tires put on for first time or taken off in replacing a flat, always go back 1 week after to re-torque your bolts to specification. This is a necessary safety step to make sure everything is properly bolted to your vehicle."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danewilson77
10-21-2011, 05:20 AM
Good post. I saw in email as well, but didn't read. This made me read it...

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

ryrules1
10-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Did the exact same thing. Good read, glad I didn't ignore it this time.