PDA

View Full Version : Right Side Mirror doesn't turn down anymore

HokieZHP
10-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Recently my right-side mirror hasn't been turning down when I put my car into reverse. Any ideas? I'm hoping it's just a programming issue and if I re-program it it will work but that will have to wait until I go home for thanksgiving.

mikeyb74
10-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Did someone hit the seat mirror memory buttons on the driver seat? Mine does this when someone else drives my car.

kayger12
10-25-2011, 11:19 AM
You have the switch to the right, correct?

Everything else with the mirror is functional?

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

zj96sc
10-25-2011, 11:25 AM

xgazillion. I had this same "failure" and this was the problem. Then i donned my shameface.

HokieZHP
10-25-2011, 11:37 AM
yeah...soo....uhhhh i killed the leprechaun living under my seat who kept moving the switch to the right and now it works again...

aka i moved the switch to the left and now it works

i'm an idiot haha

kayger12
10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Haha- all good.

Been there myself.

danewilson77
10-25-2011, 11:41 AM
Haha- all good.

Been there myself.

I've never done this :shifty

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
10-25-2011, 12:36 PM
My car doesn't do this :(

I usually open my door when I back up LOL

pleasecorrupt
10-25-2011, 01:22 PM
yeah...soo....uhhhh i killed the leprechaun living under my seat who kept moving the switch to the right and now it works again...

i'm an idiot haha

Was just going to suggest this haha, on that note, /threadjack does anyone know how to adjust how much it goes down by when you're in reverse, mine goes all the way down to the point that all I can see is the ground.

AzkotikBMW
10-25-2011, 01:27 PM
I've never done this either, and definitely didn't ask the dealership to take a look at why it wasn't working when I took it in for maintenance! =)

zj96sc
10-25-2011, 01:51 PM
I thiiiiiink you just adjust it while in reverse and it is in the "down" position. Not 100% sure...I'm headed out for a run but when I get back I'll see if I can dig up a thread I read that explained it.

danewilson77
10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
Not even sure it is adjustable....IDK. The step in RED implies to me that it can be adjusted at dealer.

From the owners manual....

"Passenger-side exterior mirror tilt function

Automatic curb monitor*

1. Move mirror selector switch 1 to the driver's mirror position.

2. When shifting into Reverse or placing the selector lever in position R, the passenger-side mirror tilts downward to help the driver monitor the area directly adjacent to the vehicle during parking – curbs, etc.

How far the passenger mirror tilts can be set individually for each ignition key.

You can deactivate this automatic feature by setting the mirror selection switch to the passenger side position."

pleasecorrupt
10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Not even sure it is adjustable....IDK.

"Automatic curb monitor*
How far the passenger mirror tilts
can be set individually for each
ignition key.

Can they be more vague, it'd help me figure out what I need to do :facepalm thanks dane

quikryptonite
10-25-2011, 02:34 PM

i'm an idiot haha

Well, that makes two of us then. It's no big deal.

zj96sc
10-25-2011, 02:46 PM
Yeah, i just realized my advice was pretty wrong since you'd have to have the selector the right to adjust the passenger mirror.

I'm trying to find the thread I read, no luck yet.

Looks like you need DIS to activate the adjustability. If you put the switch to the right and the mirror does not move, your mirror adjustability is disabled. It can be enabled with the following procedure (from obioban, m3forum):

1. Connect the car to the DIS system.
2. Choose "1. Car Memory"
3. Choose "9. Seat/Mirror Memory"
4. Choose "2. Mirror Memory Automatic Kerb Parking Function"
5. Choose "1. Active" (It is set to "Inactive" by default)
6. Upload the new settings to the car.
7. Turn the ingnition off and then back on.
8. Disconnect the car from the DIS system.

To position the mirror:
1. Push the mirror selector switch to the passenger side.
2. Put the car in reverse. (The mirror should tilt down)
3. Adjust the mirror position to what ever makes you happy.
4. Put the car back into N or 1. (The mirror should tilt back up)

You could always just save a tilt setting to one of your unused memory slots.

RITmusic2k
10-26-2011, 09:25 AM
So, I had this setting switched when I first picked up my car. I came with a list of car/key memory settings I wanted changed (activating clown nose when locked, etc.).

Default operation is that the switch in the right position activates the 'standard' mirror adjustment in reverse and the switch in the left position does nothing.

Changing the mode as I did means that the switch in the left position now does the standard adjustment, but the switch in the right position allows for custom aiming. You simply put the car in reverse with the switch to the right, then adjust the mirror to whatever position you like.

billschusteriv
10-26-2011, 09:30 AM

Everything else with the mirror is functional?

xgazillion. I had this same "failure" and this was the problem. Then i donned my shameface.

i'm an idiot haha

:facepalm Oh. Maybe this is why my mirror hasn't flipped down since buying the car.

I'm a little neurotic about my switch being in the "correct" position. I think I've got it "centered". I'll have to check.

Not even sure it is adjustable....IDK. The step in RED implies to me that it can be adjusted at dealer.

"Passenger-side exterior mirror tilt function

Automatic curb monitor*

1. Move mirror selector switch 1 to the driver's mirror position.

2. When shifting into Reverse or placing the selector lever in position R, the passenger-side mirror tilts downward to help the driver monitor the area directly adjacent to the vehicle during parking – curbs, etc.

How far the passenger mirror tilts can be set individually for each ignition key.

You can deactivate this automatic feature by setting the mirror selection switch to the passenger side position."

Thanks for the cut n paste.

danewilson77
10-26-2011, 09:40 AM
I don't think there is a "centered" position.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

HokieZHP
10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
+1 I think it's just left or right, at least on my car. May be different on newer ones.

billschusteriv
10-26-2011, 09:57 AM
Maybe I'm thinking of my e30? Or my wife's car?

If so, that confuses me. If I'm not centered, I keep it in the left position. Which doesn't explain why my mirror isn't tilting down. I will check on the way home tonight.

RITmusic2k
10-27-2011, 09:56 AM
That *does* explain why your mirror isn't tilting down.

In default operation, switch to left disables reverse mirror and switch to right enables it.

HokieZHP
10-27-2011, 10:03 AM
That *does* explain why your mirror isn't tilting down.

In default operation, switch to left disables reverse mirror and switch to right enables it.

Mines the reverse of that. Left enables mine to tilt and right disables it...

billschusteriv
10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
My switch is in left and it doesn't tilt.

I think my problem is that shortly after buying the car, I shifted into reverse and the mirror moved. Being an e46 noob and having missed the mirror moving, I didn't realize why I couldn't see anything but the street out of my passenger side mirror. So while in reverse, I moved the selector switch to the right and repositioned my mirror to my normal preferred viewing angle. :facepalm :slap

Perhaps this is what I did wrong. I think I will go to the dealer to get it reprogrammed when (and if) I get a second key and I fix my FM2/keyless entry antenna amplifier.

Hornung418
10-27-2011, 12:44 PM
While in reverse try moving it to where you want to see when looking down. I think that is the key...

billschusteriv
10-27-2011, 01:26 PM
While in reverse try moving it to where you want to see when looking down. I think that is the key...

I tried this last night and the mirror would not reposition to the "normal" viewing angle when I left reverse. I attempted this both with the switch selected to passenger and driver.

I will consult the Bentley later....

RITmusic2k
10-28-2011, 09:46 AM
Hmm... That's a little odd. Hokie, can you set a custom mirror position while you're in reverse? Mine, for example, turns down and inward based on my settings - that's an easy way to determine whether the mirror returns to a custom position that's you've set for it. My suspicion is that your car might've already had the feature enabled... though I struggle to explain why it doesn't do anything at all with your switch to the left...

HokieZHP
10-28-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't remember to be honest. I messed around with it moving the mirror in both positions for a couple minutes then I switched it to the left and tried it and it worked. I may have accidently set it to the position without knowing it. Mine does work on the left though.

az3579
11-04-2011, 08:08 PM
To those who have the switch in the correct position and have it enabled via key programming:

If your mirror still doesn't tilt down, your mirror motor is shot. The motors are very expensive; mine was about $180 shipped if I remember correct. The dealer will charge significantly more; I got my from Tischer (getbmwparts.com), the cheapest OEM parts.

Mine would attempt to go down; you could hear the motor "moving" but the glass wasn't moving. It was attempting to move the motor down but it couldn't, probably due to bad gears. Check the operation of the mirror going up and down; this could be a potential culprit... this was definitely the case in my scenario. (M3 mirrors with stock ZHP mirror motor)