PDA

View Full Version : Valve Cover Gasket oil leak??

Cadeez
10-27-2011, 02:04 PM
I did the Vanos repair a few months ago, and just recently I started smelling a 'hot engine' smell, for lack of a better term, and even saw some smoke coming out of the hood. So I peeked around in there and saw a bit of oil on the block, probably dripping down on the exhaust mani, hence the smell and smoke. The leak appears to be on the front left of the head/block if you're standing in front of the car. There's a decent amount on my garage floor as well, and it was pretty low on oil when I checked. I can't imagine that I didn't reinstall the gasket properly, it's pretty straight forward... Any thoughts? I'd rather not tear it apart and put a new one on if I don't have to, but can't imagine what else it could be. Any thoughts? Anything I could've left out or missed when I put it back together?

Cadeez
10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
I'm an idiot, I mean valve cover gasket...FML. Not sure what I was thinking about.

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 02:28 PM
VCG, or VANOS gasket. You can't see a point of escape huh?

kayger12
10-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Probably your vcg. It's not unheard of for one of the half-moon seals on the backside of the gasket to not seat fully. Wouldn't be surprised if that's your issue.

You might be able to get a look back there with a mirror if you take your microfilter housing out and get a bright light on it.

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Probably your vcg. It's not unheard of for one of the half-moon seals on the backside of the gasket to not seat fully. Wouldn't be surprised if that's your issue.

You might be able to get a look back there with a mirror if you take your microfilter housing out and get a bright light on it.

Front, left...not rear...

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm an idiot, I mean valve cover gasket...FML. Not sure what I was thinking about.

Edited title. Is that what you wanted?

kayger12
10-27-2011, 03:38 PM
Good looking out, DW. My bad. Misread that.

Could be one of the front half-moons if the rtv didn't seal up the moons or it's not sitting right.

Cadeez-- did you tighten the vcg bolts in the recommended order/pattern?

Cadeez
10-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Yes thank you sir, I had a bit of temporary memory loss there for a second, haha manifold gasket...

And yeah it's the front left, like right at the corner, I can see the oil on the block right under the cover. Gotta be the VCG, perhaps I pinched it when I put it on. Luckily it's onlly $30 so I just picked one up, gonna do it on Sunday. Maybe this time I'll put a bit of gasket sealer between the gasket and the cover, it was recommended by Pelican Parts when I looked up the part#. Guess we'll see how it goes!

Word..at least you know how to clean up your mess. That has to be it.

Cadeez
10-27-2011, 03:44 PM
Good looking out, DW. My bad. Misread that.

Could be one of the front half-moons if the rtv didn't seal up the moons or it's not sitting right.

Cadeez-- did you tighten the vcg bolts in the recommended order/pattern?

Ehh what's the recommended patern? I did put some rtv on there the first time, the orange stuff right? A light dab in the few spots the DIY showed, that could be it too I suppose?

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 03:50 PM
Well.....that has to be it. At least you know. Since your taking VC off a second time....while you're in there, you should drawp it like it's hawt.

kayger12
10-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Ehh what's the recommended patern? I did put some rtv on there the first time, the orange stuff right? A light dab in the few spots the DIY showed, that could be it too I suppose?

I use a criss-cross pattern starting from the inside out. Supposed to prevent the gasket from kinking.

And yes, a light dab smeared in the corner of the half-moons.

Also, make sure you didn't end up with a stray piece of the old gasket stuck to the head or in the channel of the cover somewhere.

Woody
10-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Also very important to apply RTV at the seam where the vanos mates up to head, or you are certain to get a leak. Didn't see anyone mention that along with the half moons..

kayger12
10-27-2011, 05:46 PM
Also very important to apply RTV at the seam where the vanos mates up to head, or you are certain to get a leak. Didn't see anyone mention that along with the half moons..

Yes, sir. Good catch.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure_files/image029.jpg

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I have never applied permatex to that area, nor does the procedure say to do so.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
10-27-2011, 05:53 PM
I have never applied permatex to that area, nor does the procedure say to do so.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Yep, it does. From Beisan procedure: "Place thin coat of RTV sealant at 2 engine vanos/head contact points, and at vanos/head front and rear half moon corners. Allow sealant to solidify for 2 minutes before mounting valve cover."

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 06:15 PM
Yeah....but I think the above post, "seam" implies to put it on metal gasket. Maybe I was looking at what was said wrong. No worries, as long as you hit the spots in the pic, you're golden.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
10-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Yeah....but I think the above post, "seam" implies to put it on metal gasket. Maybe I was looking at what was said wrong. No worries, as long as you hit the spots in the pic, you're golden.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Ah. Gotcha, brother. Thought he meant where it mates up in the picture.

Agreed- definitely wouldn't want it on the metal gasket.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

danewilson77
10-27-2011, 06:33 PM
Ah. Gotcha, brother. Thought he meant where it mates up in the picture.

Agreed- definitely wouldn't want it on the metal gasket

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

He probably did not mean that. Probably meant the areas the procedure is talking about.

Just so we all stay on same page.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/nicee46/image066.jpg
HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Woody
10-27-2011, 06:38 PM
Yep, just like in the pic. Sorry for any confusion....

kayger12
10-28-2011, 05:30 AM
No apologies necessary. It was a good catch.

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 05:49 AM
No apologies necessary. It was a good catch.

Sorry....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Cadeez
10-28-2011, 07:52 AM
Yes, sir. Good catch.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/vanos_procedure_files/image029.jpg

Thanks for the input guys. I did put the rtv where it said in the Beisan DIY but maybe it dried to quickly, or I didn't put enough, etc. Who knows, I'll be real careful this time, following the bolt pattern, applying gasket sealer to the gasket & cover, I should be good to go. We'll know on Sunday!

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 08:06 AM
Ok...good luck.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT