PDA

View Full Version : base plate shear

Kudos
10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Has anyone had his type of failure? This is the bracket that attaches to the engine block and it holds the idler tension pulley in place. Mine had failed and was wondering if anyone else had this happen to them? The dealer told me that this is a common failure point in the pulley system, i suppose due to the forces, even though forces would not be going through that point.

telijah
10-28-2011, 12:04 PM
I've never heard of the plate itself being the problem, but people in general have had regular problems with the tesionors themselves failing. When you say the base has failed, what exactly has happened? Since you say "shear", I'm assuming one of the posts have broken off, likely the bottom one that bolts to the bottom of the hydraulic cylinder...?

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Wow.....new one on me....

Whitexi
10-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Never heard of this one.

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 02:16 PM
I don't even know what this base plate is. It's part of the tensioner?

I would love to see pics.

Whitexi
10-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Yea is the dealer pulling your leg :dunno

telijah
10-29-2011, 05:40 AM
Dane, in realoem go to the diagrams where the tensionor is and you'll see the full tensioner assembly and individual parts, and there is a base part holding it all together.

danewilson77
10-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Yeah....thanks T. I was gonna do that....but got lazy. Thanks

Kudos
10-29-2011, 03:28 PM
I'll post pictures later tomorrow, but basically the part failed at the middle. The only way it could have happened is if someone went way overboard trying to move the tensioner by the pulley. you would have to use like a sledge or something. either way my shop replaced the part on their dime. Lucky (heh) for me when i tried to push the tensioner in, fluid came out =dead. 2hours later i get home and finish the damn job which would have take 50 minutes tops. Thanks to Dane for the DIY though. My shop doesn't do any mechanical work so they contract a tech at the local bmw dealer to do it at 1/4 the price. so basically 3/4 of the price is warranty which he still will do to keep a good face. I'm all caught up on maintenence except for PS fluid and brake fluid. those will be done when i do my brakes in the spring.

Whitexi
10-29-2011, 04:21 PM
Oh I forget you had the hydraulic version. Cool that it was fixed though, shops like that are good. I used to have one like that for my Audi that was very honest and I may take my BMW there if ever since I see he has a few here and there anyway.