PDA

View Full Version : Coolant Temperature Sensor

MiHiZHP
10-28-2011, 11:16 AM
reference code P0128. Have replaced the thermostat, and (obviously) coolant levels are good to go. The SES light is still on after 3 days, so I assume that I need to replace the CTS?

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 11:39 AM
reference code P0128. Have replaced the thermostat, and (obviously) coolant levels are good to go. The SES light is still on after 3 days, so I assume that I need to replace the CTS?

Did you clear the code?

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

telijah
10-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Well, if your dash temp indicator reaches 12 oclock, I would think the sensor is working. Try letting it get to 12 oclock, turn car off andf clear the light, and then restart the car while the engine is still warm. That code is triggered when it takes your car too long to warm up. Being in Denver (I do not know how cold it is up there right now), this could just be the case.

zj96sc
10-28-2011, 12:31 PM
If the condition that created the code isn't sensed for a certain number of start/run cycles it *should* clear itself, no? This was the case for my last SES light, 3 cycles from cold to full op temp to shutdown cleared the SES light with no tools or other intervention.

How many "cycles" do you have on it?

telijah
10-28-2011, 01:10 PM
According to All Data, only two cycles needed to clear itself.

danewilson77
10-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Good data T.

MiHiZHP
10-28-2011, 06:55 PM
If the condition that created the code isn't sensed for a certain number of start/run cycles it *should* clear itself, no? This was the case for my last SES light, 3 cycles from cold to full op temp to shutdown cleared the SES light with no tools or other intervention.

How many "cycles" do you have on it?

That's what I was hoping. I don't have a code reader yet (It's on my Christmas list...) and I was hoping that it'd clear on its own assuming fault code was due to the thermostat and not the CTS. I think it has at least 3 full heat cycles on it and temp gauge is at the 12 o'clock position - but it was at 12 o'clock even before I replaced the thermo. And now that I think of it, I probably should have started with the CTS first. Yes, I know - shows how much I know!

Replacement seems to be pretty simple as far as the internet tells me - and the part is 8 bucks at ECS - 18 with shipping...yipes!.

zj96sc
10-30-2011, 09:53 AM
Is this the sensor in the passenger side radiator hose? or the one stuck in the expansion tank?

danewilson77
10-30-2011, 11:03 AM
Lower radiator hose. Passenger side.

I have a ton of the lil o-rings, should someone ever spring a leak.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

telijah
10-31-2011, 05:42 AM
Is this the sensor in the passenger side radiator hose? or the one stuck in the expansion tank?

The sensor in the bottom of the expansion tank is the coolant level sensor, not a temp sensor. Just a heads up.