PDA

View Full Version : nail in tire

webster
11-01-2011, 12:44 PM
getting into my car today i noticed what i thought to be a pebble lodged in the tread of my rear driver's side tire. upon closer inspection i learned it is actually the head of a nail. i'm amazed the tire still holds pressure. obviously i want to fix this. but part of me is curious how dangerous it actually is to drive with the tire as-is. here's a pic:

http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/2194/nailintire.jpg

the tires have less than 1,000 miles on them. kinda pissed and not sure exactly what to do. advice is appreciated!

Alphatek45
11-01-2011, 01:44 PM
That is an easy plug in my opinion. Any tire shop can do it. There are even decent kits you can buy and DIY. If you have an air compressor.
Not a big deal deal, but do it asap just in case.

kayger12
11-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Good info in this link.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=77

I would have it properly plugged/patched.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

kayger12
11-01-2011, 02:00 PM
That is an easy plug in my opinion. Any tire shop can do it. There are even decent kits you can buy and DIY. If you have an air compressor.
Not a big deal deal, but do it asap just in case.

Just a word of caution on this.

Plugging from the outside (like you do with the DIY kits) is not recognized by NHTSA as an acceptable tire repair.

Did a lot of research on this when they were trying to get away with plugging our cars at work.

Plugging also negates the manufacturer's speed rating fire the tire.

Alphatek45
11-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Just a word of caution on this.

Plugging from the outside (like you do with the DIY kits) is not recognized by NHTSA as an acceptable tire repair.

Did a lot of research on this when they were trying to get away with plugging our cars at work.

Plugging also negates the manufacturer's speed rating fire the tire.

Agreed. Part of why I called it decent. I have easily plugged 30 tires (commercial vehicles) in my day, and only had 1 issue. Figured Id throw it in there in case his car was flat in the driveway.

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Agreed. Part of why I called it decent. I have easily plugged 30 tires (commercial vehicles) in my day, and only had 1 issue. Figured Id throw it in there in case his car was flat in the driveway.

Yup. Got that. KG was just throwing up a "word of caution"

kayger12
11-01-2011, 02:11 PM

Gotcha, buddy. All good. Just wanted to put the info out there.

Washburn
11-01-2011, 02:14 PM
went through this twice in the last 3 months, on 2 different cars - tire place just plugged/patched it and both tires were good to go, and drove as usual.

GSEN820
11-01-2011, 02:54 PM
Easy fix. Take in to a shop and get it fixed.

I bought my tires from a local shop here in SD, which does not charge to fix or plug.

webster
11-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Having it plugged right now. Fortunately there is a mexican restaurant across the parking lot from the discount tire so I can have a margarita while I wait =)

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 03:25 PM
Ahhh Webby. You are efficient.

kayger12
11-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Having it plugged right now. Fortunately there is a mexican restaurant across the parking lot from the discount tire so I can have a margarita while I wait =)

:like

jreyes19
11-02-2011, 07:31 AM
lol
glad to hear it wasnt too serious now you can write a review on the tire place and the mexican restaurant
good luck

llll1l1ll
11-02-2011, 09:06 AM
I always seem to get nails right when I get new tires. It never fails.

webster
11-02-2011, 09:11 AM
discount tire is pretty good. the one i go to is always super busy and the guys there aren't exactly rocket scientists, but they get the job done. they plugged the tire free of charge yesterday so that was nice.

the mexi restaurant is a local go-to tex mex joint. had some chips n queso, empanadas, bacon wrapped quail legs, 1 frozen marg and 1 bohemia (2 drink limit when i have to drive afterwards). not a bad alternative to sitting in a waiting room reading motor trend (ugh) and smelling rubber for an hour.

Meric
11-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Is it michelin pilot sport?

webster
11-04-2011, 01:10 PM
nope, hankook v12 evo's