PDA

View Full Version : Oil light came on

Newjack
11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
So within the last two weeks I have noticed that my oil light has appeared after I turned the car off. It went away about 30 seconds later. This has happened about 3 times. I have checked the oil level in the car on a flat surface after waiting for the car to cool off. The oil level was a little on the high side, but still within an acceptable range.

So just now on my way to class my oil light came on while driving. This has never happened to me before and I know the smart thing to do would have been to immediately turn the car off. But I didn't notice anything wrong with the car. Still sounded fine, no odd smells, no increase in oil temp.

So when stopped in beltway traffic I turned off the engine and turned it back on to see if the oil light same back on. The light never came back on during the drive or after I turned it off.

Any ideas on what is going on with my car? I'm nervous about driving it but I don't want to tow it home.

Sorry if my thoughts are little sporadic, I'm trying to pretend I'm paying attention to my professor (I'm in class)

LG Revolution + Tapatalk

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 02:52 PM
Bad sensor. Change at next oil change. Easy diy.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Newjack
11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Bad sensor. Change at next oil change. Easy diy.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Is this a common problem with the e46? Is it something I have to wait to change the oil to replace?

Edit: seems to happen every so often. I guess if I know that my oil level is ok and the yellow oil light comes on I shouldn't worry too much. Red is a different story.

LG Revolution + Tapatalk

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 03:23 PM
It's going to drain your oil as it resides in the bottom of the oil pan. Yes...it is a common failure part. BRB with a link.

Newjack
11-01-2011, 03:24 PM
It's going to drain your oil as it resides in the bottom of the oil pan. Yes...it is a common failure part. BRB with a link.

Thanks Dane.

LG Revolution + Tapatalk

danewilson77
11-01-2011, 03:24 PM
#19, below...

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1830-BMW-E46-ZHP-DIY-and-Preventative-maintenance

llll1l1ll
11-01-2011, 04:51 PM
Hey Newjack. It must be a MD thing, since mine did this the other day. Checked the oil about seven minutes after I turned the car off and it was just fine. Right where it was three weeks ago. (On a side note, it's nice to drive a car that doesn't leak like an incontinent elderly person) My first suspicion was the sensor.

Newjack
11-01-2011, 05:00 PM
Hey Newjack. It must be a MD thing, since mine did this the other day. Checked the oil about seven minutes after I turned the car off and it was just fine. Right where it was three weeks ago. (On a side note, it's nice to drive a car that doesn't leak like an incontinent elderly person) My first suspicion was the sensor.

I can relate to leaking oil. My old Ford was starting to burn through half a quart in a months time.

LG Revolution + Tapatalk

llll1l1ll
11-01-2011, 05:36 PM
Hahaha yeah the E30 was just as bad - though it didn't burn it.

Johnmadd
11-01-2011, 07:39 PM
Hahaha yeah the E30 was just as bad - though it didn't burn it.

Leaky e30 ftw.

Johnmadd
11-01-2011, 07:42 PM
So within the last two weeks I have noticed that my oil light has appeared after I turned the car off. It went away about 30 seconds later. This has happened about 3 times. I have checked the oil level in the car on a flat surface after waiting for the car to cool off. The oil level was a little on the high side, but still within an acceptable range.

So just now on my way to class my oil light came on while driving. This has never happened to me before and I know the smart thing to do would have been to immediately turn the car off. But I didn't notice anything wrong with the car. Still sounded fine, no odd smells, no increase in oil temp.

So when stopped in beltway traffic I turned off the engine and turned it back on to see if the oil light same back on. The light never came back on during the drive or after I turned it off.

Any ideas on what is going on with my car? I'm nervous about driving it but I don't want to tow it home.

Sorry if my thoughts are little sporadic, I'm trying to pretend I'm paying attention to my professor (I'm in class)

LG Revolution + Tapatalk

Don't be nervous, manually checking fluids is the only way to go, dont trust sensors over your judgement.

Newjack
11-02-2011, 06:33 AM
If I read correctly, the yellow oil light is the oil level, while the red one indicates oil pressure. The oil pressure sensor and the oil level sensor are also two different units.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to check my oil pressure without using aftermarket items? Maybe through the dash or something?

Also this part is way more expensive than I thought it would be. Double dang.

kayger12
11-02-2011, 07:15 AM
I don't think that's an option with the hidden OBC functions.

llll1l1ll
11-02-2011, 07:44 AM
Yellow is definitely just for the oil level. Think in terms of stoplights: yellow for caution, red for stop.

I drove my E30 with a malfunctioning oil level sensor for some time. If it bothers you that the light comes on all the time, I would just replace it. I would also replace it if you think your car is leaking or burning a lot of oil. If your car is in sound shape, and you are diligent and persistent with checking the oil, then you will be okay.

PS This is the cheap option to get around this and is only my personal opinion.

Edit: I think the only way to check the pressure is to buy an aftermarket gauge.

Scorpius
11-02-2011, 07:46 AM
If I read correctly, the yellow oil light is the oil level, while the red one indicates oil pressure. The oil pressure sensor and the oil level sensor are also two different units.

Just out of curiosity, is there a way to check my oil pressure without using aftermarket items? Maybe through the dash or something?

Also this part is way more expensive than I thought it would be. Double dang.

I would normally agree that it might be the part that needs swapping out. but my car did the exact same thing, sometimes yellow would come on. Then a restart it would go away. Now....I have no idea how these relate, but....since fixing my VCG and my OFH leaks. I've not had a single light since.

As for being above the fill line...drain out some oil.

Newjack
11-02-2011, 08:04 AM
I drove her earlier this morning and the light never came on. I feel like the sensor is just starting to go bad. It's not totally FUBAR yet but it's on its way out. I'll keep my eye on the oil level. Again it is a little high but is still within an acceptable range.

billschusteriv
11-03-2011, 09:48 AM
Definately sounds like a sensor issue here. Keep us posted on the repair and follow on condition.

I've got a recurring yellow oil level light... but mine is definately due to consumption. Still tracking down where it's going... replaced the crankcase breather and associated hoses (under a different part name). Was using a quart of 5W-30 BMW synthetic every 200-300 miles.

:ducking

At the recommendation of my mechanic, I just got an oil change and started using a heavier weight oil. I just hit the low mark on the dipstick today - almost 1000 miles before needing to add a quart of 10W-30 Mobil 1.

I know it's not a BMW approved oil... but I needed to do something drastic with my oil consumption that high.

llll1l1ll
11-03-2011, 11:10 AM
Damn that's a lot of oil. My E30 leaked that much!

My light came on again yesterday, too. Oil level was right where it was the last time I checked, and that was the same as the time before that which was three weeks ago. I'll add a smidge sometime this weekend.

Scorpius
11-03-2011, 07:20 PM
I know it's not a BMW approved oil... but I needed to do something drastic with my oil consumption that high.

wow...your burning that much? have you checked the VCG and the OFH?

billschusteriv
11-04-2011, 04:14 AM
wow...your burning that much? have you checked the VCG and the OFH?

VCG is dry. No leaks. Sorry, noob question... OFH? Oil filter housing? Dry. Lines to OFH? Also dry.

Get smoke on occasions when I stomp on it.

Lines to intake from crankcase breather were full of oil. Suspected torn diaphragm. Replaced lines and breather.

Compression is good (210). Plugs looked good.

Just added 1 qt of oil. Up to 1000 miles. From 200 miles.

Sorry for threadjack.

Blackberry. Tapatalk.

llll1l1ll
11-04-2011, 04:26 AM
Sounds like something is wrong in the cylinder head if you stomp on it and oil burns.

billschusteriv
11-04-2011, 04:26 AM
What really sucks is that up until a few months ago I was topping off just before my oil change ~7000 miles. So I know somethings wrong. I just can't find it.

Blackberry. Tapatalk.

Hornung418
11-04-2011, 07:07 AM
What really sucks is that up until a few months ago I was topping off just before my oil change ~7000 miles. So I know somethings wrong. I just can't find it.

Blackberry. Tapatalk.

My money is on the valve guides and seals. Have you been hacked your dipstick return? You could have some blockage at the base from the failed CVV.

I think Dalton (nike001), is having a similar consumption issue.

Courtesy of Gingerbread...

anm3itbe
11-19-2011, 06:57 AM
Wanted to bump this thread, because after my last oil change, I've been having consumption issues. I'm almost positive that my car doesn't smoke if I punch it, but im not 100% certain. I do know for a fact that my oil level sensor is pretty much done as the light has almost constantly been on the past 2 weeks. I do check my oil often and yesterday it took a half quart to get it back up to midway. A couple days before, I had to do the same. Can the level sensor really affect consumption to that degree or am I looking at a larger problem as well? The car runs very well otherwise with no strange noises.

danewilson77
11-19-2011, 07:43 AM
The level sensor does not affect oil consumption. You have a different issue.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Hornung418
11-19-2011, 08:10 AM
anm3itbe, what's the mileage on your car?

Mtnman
11-19-2011, 08:38 AM
You prob already have done this, but check to make sure the seal ring isn't leaking at the filter housing.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

anm3itbe
11-19-2011, 09:22 AM
The level sensor does not affect oil consumption. You have a different issue.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Oh boy...on to the search button then

anm3itbe, what's the mileage on your car?

Mileage is at ~122,000

You prob already have done this, but check to make sure the seal ring isn't leaking at the filter housing.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Are you referring to where the filter housings meets the block or the oil filter cap? I just replace the whole cap a couple months ago including the rubber seal ring they give you.

Hornung418
11-19-2011, 10:30 AM
David is referring to where the filter housing meets the block. There is a gasket that will fail and cover your block with a thin coat of oil. You can shine a light between the manifold and and the housing and see if you are leaking.

danewilson77
11-19-2011, 11:15 AM
David is referring to where the filter housing meets the block. There is a gasket that will fail and cover your block with a thin coat of oil. You can shine a light between the manifold and and the housing and see if you are leaking.

....its the area that looks like an Eggo.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

llll1l1ll
11-19-2011, 02:40 PM
My car is leaking from the back corner of the valve cover gasket. It's a pretty quick leak, too. Gotta get that fixed!

But it's causing my oil light to come on. It's possible your car might be burning a bit of oil when you punch it. See if you can see any smoke out the back when you're flooring it.

anm3itbe
11-19-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up everyone. Will check those items asap

edlvrt
11-21-2011, 07:38 AM
My sensor is starting to malfunction as well. Good thing I have a dipstick to tell me that the sensor is junk. Otherwise, I'd have to take it into the dealership so they can drain all the oil, measure how much came out, and top off as necessary. E90? No thanks.

Newjack
11-30-2011, 10:28 AM
So my oil light was still coming on intermittently, so I decided to check the oil level again. I was all the way below the minimum. After adding 1/4 of a quart of oil I'm barely over the minimum line now. BARELY. I don't have any oil left in the house so I have to go out and get some.

I'm pretty pissed about this because I had checked the oil level not two weeks ago and it was well above the halfway marker. (Still perfectly fine and within the limits). If my car was really low on oil, wouldn't the light always turn on when I start the car or drive for maybe 5 minutes? Sometimes I would drive for an hour or so and the oil light never came on.

So obviously I'm leaking oil somewhere, unless my dipstick is lying to me. Gahhh this sucks.

Hornung418
11-30-2011, 10:34 AM
Check for leaks around the Oil Filter Housing and the Valve Cover Gasket.

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Check for leaks around the Oil Filter Housing and the Valve Cover Gasket.

And oil pan gasket/drain plug.

Who did the last oil change?

Newjack
11-30-2011, 11:20 AM
And oil pan gasket/drain plug.

Who did the last oil change?

I changed it back in June.

I'll take a look around and see if I can't find any oil leaking. These engines don't typically burn oil do they? I don't smell any burnt oil after driving or running the motor.

danewilson77
11-30-2011, 02:08 PM
They....BMW I think says you can "burn" 1qt every 1000 miles. I do not buy this though.

echo46
11-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Yea Dane, iVe heard and read that before but in the real world I have never really observed that unless something was leaking i.e. valve cover gasket, CCV, Oil pan gasket, drain plug, oil filter housing gasket etc.

kayger12
11-30-2011, 03:08 PM
The light will come on when you turn her off when you're low. It won't come on when you're driving unless it's low enough to cause a drop in oil pressure, iirc.

Check the waffle area on your block for an oil filter housing gasket leak.

Newjack
11-30-2011, 04:30 PM
So where exactly should I be looking for leaks if it is in fact the oil filter housing gasket? I still have the plate on under my car (Can't think of the proper name) so I'm assuming I won't really see any leaks underneath the car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy0EKjuxlpY

I found this DIY which is very helpful. I just want to know the quickest/easiest way to check and make sure that it is in fact my oil filter housing gasket that has gone bad before I change it.

LivesNearCostco
11-30-2011, 04:38 PM
+1 to waffle area of block. It's my first and only BMW, but from what I've read, these engines don't usually burn oil by losing it around the cylinder rings. Though if the CCV goes bad I think it dumps oil into the intake instead of back into the dipstick tube, and in that case it does get burned up in the engine.
--OFHG leak = oil on waffle area of block
--VCG leak = oil burning up on exhaust manifolds or dripping down back of block (feel behind valve cover, towards passenger side)
--CCV bad = ?? mmmm... maybe some blue smoke in the exhaust?

Edit: IIRC, if you remove the airbox (some clips and 2 13mm bolts for stock airbox) you can see part of the waffle area with a flashlight. Or put car on lift/jackstands and remove the plastic undertray--it's held on by 6 or 8 phillips screws and sometimes 1-3 push-pin plugs connecting it to the front bumper cover. OFHG leak will often result in oil on the top side of that plastic tray.

Hornung418
11-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Great DIY. That's from our friend Scorpius down in Texas. I just did the SOB...I mean OFHG...last week.

kayger12
11-30-2011, 04:43 PM
This is where you want to look.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=307157&stc=1&d=1237474842

kayger12
11-30-2011, 04:48 PM
^^^^
You'll have to pull the air box to see down there.

Newjack
12-01-2011, 11:45 AM
>Drive to work today which is a 10 minute drive
>Oil light doesn't come on at all, before or after.
>Drive from work to advance auto to pick up more expensive 0W-40
>Drive home with no oil light
>Check oil in garage 30 minutes after the car has been turned off
>Oil level is very high, 90-95% out of 100%
>wtf.jpg

LivesNearCostco
12-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Do you plug your web-enabled phone into your car or pair with Bluetooth? Maybe your car knows what you're posting! Maybe check again after car has cooled down more.

Newjack
12-01-2011, 12:48 PM
I just checked it and it was maybe a hair lower. So about 90% on the dipstick. (0% is all the way at the bottom of the acceptable range 100% at the top of the range.)

danewilson77
12-01-2011, 01:12 PM
>Drive to work today which is a 10 minute drive
>Oil light doesn't come on at all, before or after.
>Drive from work to advance auto to pick up more expensive 0W-40
>Drive home with no oil light
>Check oil in garage 30 minutes after the car has been turned off
>Oil level is very high, 90-95% out of 100%
>wtf.jpg

So....what's the issue?

Newjack
12-01-2011, 05:37 PM
So....what's the issue?

I just checked my oil yesterday and it was right below the minimum. Added 1/4 of a quart. Checked today and now it is all the way at the maximum. Where is my car hiding this oil? How would adding that little amount of oil change the level that much. I'm just confused is all.

danewilson77
12-01-2011, 05:44 PM
I just checked my oil yesterday and it was right below the minimum. Added 1/4 of a quart. Checked today and now it is all the way at the maximum. Where is my car hiding this oil? How would adding that little amount of oil change the level that much. I'm just confused is all.

Ok. Just ride out what you have for a while. Make sure you are checking it at exactly 30 minutes after shutdown from NOP. Let's do some trend analysis on this.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

kayger12
12-01-2011, 05:53 PM
Ok. Just ride out what you have for a while. Make sure you are checking it at exactly 30 minutes after shutdown from NOP. Let's do some trend analysis on this.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

This.

Consistency yields accuracy.

Need to be checking under the same conditions each time. You can see some fairly noticeable fluctuations otherwise.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.

Scorpius
12-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Great DIY. That's from our friend Scorpius down in Texas. I just did the SOB...I mean OFHG...last week.

thanks for the kudo's hornug. I'd say i was scared to do it at first but actually...i'd say it's almost as easy as doing spark plugs lol...just unbolting and rebolting stuff, nothing major. just time consuming is all.

Now for the guy with the oil leak...here is my experience.

like they say...look at the waffle, if oil there then it's either your CCV or your OFH or both. if you can get a mirror down there to the waffle area and can view the CCV part, if it's covered in oil then it's time to replace as that's definately it. Now....that being said my biggest advice. If you are replacing EITHER the CCV or the OFH then do BOTH. you pay $5 more for the cost of the OFH gasket and i'll be damned if you don't give yourself PLENTY of space to get to and do the CCV while your there.
If you just do the CCV and you go about the way the DIY's tell you...it's in my opinion a worse pain in the ass to do and to get to. this is all ok, but the worst part of the CCV is the special twist you have to do and no matter how much you 'hear' the click you still wonder if that one connection is truly connected and seated correctly. I had this worry until later my OFH went and when i did it i checked the CCV and put my mind to rest as it was definately seated.

Now...as for the VG...you smell oil? You got or near 100k? go ahead and change it as well. Look for my DIY on that as well, the sealant in the edges of the curves is CRITICAL if you want it to last and not leak.

As for the crazy oil light stuff. ya i was told from day one by my local indi they were amazed i didn't burn any oil every 15k, they expected at least 1 qt per 1k. then my light started showing low, once i fixed all the leaks it's better now. though it still triggers on occasion and yea i must be burning some oil now i guess cause i've checked and it is a lil low. got no idea where it's going though, engine clean as a whistle everywhere i can see.

Newjack
12-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Oil light came on again after coming home from class.

http://i.imgur.com/7ZyYO.gif

I'll drive her around and check the oil tomorrow....

llll1l1ll
12-14-2011, 04:19 AM
http://i.imgur.com/7ZyYO.gif

Hahaha that's exactly how I feel when some new problem comes along.

Newjack
12-14-2011, 10:52 AM
Ok so I took her for a drive this morning for about 20-25 minutes. Engine was at optimal temperature and I parked in the garage (only flat-ish surface I have).
Waited about 10-15 minutes before checking oil level.
Oil level was at the top again (90%)
Waited a little longer (probably 25 more minutes give or take)
Oil level dropped to the middle of the stick (50%)
This is normal right? Oil levels are supposed to fluctuate based on the temperature? I have to assume my sensor is FUBAR.

danewilson77
12-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Ok so I took her for a drive this morning for about 20-25 minutes. Engine was at optimal temperature and I parked in the garage (only flat-ish surface I have).
Waited about 10-15 minutes before checking oil level.
Oil level was at the top again (90%)
Waited a little longer (probably 25 more minutes give or take)
Oil level dropped to the middle of the stick (50%)
This is normal right? Oil levels are supposed to fluctuate based on the temperature? I have to assume my sensor is FUBAR.

Yes....they will lower as temps lowers.

das boots
05-15-2012, 10:54 AM
Reviving an old thread that is always a constant reminder to everybody. I am wondering after going through this thread, does a higher mileage engine consume more oil? I just added a quart of oil after 2000 miles. Seems to be an a quart every 2K. I do not see any leaks on the OFHG waffle area, no smell of oil burning in the VCG or the CCV area. Although I know I still have the original VCG.

Newjack
05-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Reviving an old thread that is always a constant reminder to everybody. I am wondering after going through this thread, does a higher mileage engine consume more oil? I just added a quart of oil after 2000 miles. Seems to be an a quart every 2K. I do not see any leaks on the OFHG waffle area, no smell of oil burning in the VCG or the CCV area. Although I know I still have the original VCG.

I was using (not sure if it was burning or leaking) that much oil about every 2000 miles or so. Seems to have gotten better, so I have no idea what the cause is. Exact same symptoms as you. No burning oil smell, no leaking VCG or OFHG. My only area of suspicion was the CCV.

das boots
05-15-2012, 11:12 AM
So how to tell if CCV is leaking? I do not have any drips on the splash shield. Does CCV burn oil then? If it does, then there should be blue smoke coming out of the exhaust from buring oil? I sort of get freaked out.....on oil consumption.

Newjack
01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
4000 miles into my new oil sensor (oem replacement) and I'm getting the amber oil light again. I've checked my oil ar work in a garage. It's a flat enough surface that when I forgot to put the ebrake on when I left (was not in gear either) my car didn't move. Checked the oil 25 minutes after I turned it off and the dipstick shows right above the halfway mark. So it's fine.

Anyone have an oil level sensor fail this quickly?

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

nike001
01-25-2013, 08:02 PM
Yours is probably using a little bit of oil.

I'd kill to be in your situation. My light comes on every ~1,000 miles, and I have to add oil.

BCS_ZHP
01-25-2013, 08:19 PM
Your oil sensor is working perfectly fine, more sensitive than the other way around. Wouldn't you want to be notified when you're only half a quart low rather than be notified when you're a quart and a half low and possibly doing some engine damage? I say live with it and know the light means half a quart. At 4K mile per half quart, you're on the positive side.

danewilson77
01-25-2013, 08:29 PM
But it's alarming above the halfway mark (I'm assuming he means midway on the block).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Newjack
01-25-2013, 10:22 PM
But it's alarming above the halfway mark (I'm assuming he means midway on the block).

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

This. It should only come on when the oil level is almost at the top or almost at the bottom of the block (acceptable range). The light coming on isn't consistent either, sometimes it comes on and others it doesn't.

I have added a little bit of oil just to see if it would fix the problem. The light went away for maybe a day and then comes on randomly (never while driving, which my old FUBAR sensor would do).

I have to assume that once again my oil level sensor is busted, since my oil level is at a proper level.

Just for clarification, is there a best time to check your oil after the car has gotten up to proper temps? 10 minutes? 20 minutes?

Thanks for the help guys.

Hornung418
01-25-2013, 11:07 PM
Check it at five minutes after shut down. That will give you a more accurate running level.

Newjack
01-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Check it at five minutes after shut down. That will give you a more accurate running level.

Roger.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2