PDA

View Full Version : Starter woes

prowlerflyer
11-03-2011, 06:36 AM
For the past couple of weeks my car has made a "wooshing" sound on start up. Sounds just like starter overrun, but I hadn't had time too completely diagnose it. Now in the past couple of days, I have had a couple instances of the starter's pinion not engaging the ring gear on the first try. My searches of our and e46fan sites of starter info hasn't yielded much. Seems like our starters are pretty reliable. My car is at 93k miles, which I am assuming is low for a starter's life. I wonder if the added load of the supercharger is not helping.
It also looks like from what I've seen online, is that R/R the starter is a PITA. Although, the BMW manual online makes it look simple. I guess getting the performance air box goes on hold.

Steve

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

llll1l1ll
11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
I think someone else had a similar problem. My old E30's starter solenoid would never fully disengage sometime, so it'd make this "wwhhheeeeeeiiiirrr" sound after I let go of the starter. That could be the case with your car.

GT172I
11-04-2011, 11:14 AM
I think someone else had a similar problem. My old E30's starter solenoid would never fully disengage sometime, so it'd make this "wwhhheeeeeeiiiirrr" sound after I let go of the starter. That could be the case with your car.

That'd be me or HokieZHP I believe from this thread (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4976-Grinding-Noise-at-Start-up)

It actually wasn't too bad to change, I'd say it was easier than doing FCA's
http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5371-DIY-Starter-Replacement-Not-as-horrible-as-it-seems

prowlerflyer
11-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Is the solenoid replaceable individually from the starter? Tisher shows either a starter or just a solenoid available. I think just a solenoid will solve my problem.
Like this morning, the pinion would energize and spin but not engage the ring gear. If I put the car in gear and rocked it a bit (moving the flywheel/ring gear), the starter would engage fine. Kind of like the solenoid is weak or the pinion is worn.

GT172I
11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
Technically yes I believe it can be done separately, but is more work and only marginal cost savings from my research. Plus if you're going to spend the time to get them both out why not just replace them both with new/reman units to prevent future maintenance since it's not the most accessible area.

My solenoid had a heavy gauge wire soldered from the solenoid to the starter....I'm ok at soldering but didn't seem worth it for the hassle not to cover both bases and get the complete unit.

prowlerflyer
11-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Good point, I'll just swap out the whole starter. The one real puzzling thing about this, is I only have the problem (so far) when the car is cold in the morning. After I drive it, I can start it 10 more times that day and have no problem.

GT172I
11-08-2011, 11:36 AM
That's exactly the same conditions I had, then after about 3 weeks of that it started happening more frequently so decided it was time to swap before it gave up entirely

GT172I
11-08-2011, 11:39 AM
This (http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?4976-Grinding-Noise-at-Start-up) is probably a good thread for you to peruse

echo46
11-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Seems like there has been a lot of starter woes as of late. I will be replacing mine this weekend. I hope this is it for a while. It's like I've replaced everything on theis car. It better last me forever.

GT172I
11-08-2011, 11:49 AM
It certainly does seem that way. All three of us have 2004 330's it looks like as well and the other DIY I found on e46f was for an 04 330 too.... dum dum dummmmm

I've got ~100k for comparison's sake

echo46
11-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Interesting, I have about 70,000 miles on my 04 330i. So am I correct in assuming that the clank/grind or whatever you want to call it is the starter spring hitting the flywheel because it is slow in retracting? You know, I went with a remanufactured starter, I'm starting to second guess that choice, opinions?

GT172I
11-08-2011, 01:03 PM
That's close, my understanding is that the spring retracts the solenoid which disengages the starter motor from the the starter pinion which is meshed with the ring gear of the flywheel (if that makes any sense. I'm equating the solenoid to a clutch).

If the spring wears out, it won't pull to disengage quickly enough and you'll get some gear grind during that transition (ie changing gears with the clutch only partially depressed)

:confused

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Automobile_starter_2.JPG

GT172I
11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
...You know, I went with a remanufactured starter, I'm starting to second guess that choice, opinions?

I wouldn't be too concerned, most are remanufactured and come with a warranty and it's not some Joe in a shack just blowing the dust off and repainting them.

echo46
11-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Excellant picture. That is really helpful. So is it the spring on #2 that wears out? Excuse my ignorance as this has been quite a learning experience. Thanks.

danewilson77
11-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I think typically the brushes and slip rings are the wearable parts.

Not saying spring can't go bad as well, though.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

echo46
11-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Found a 3/28/11 thread where guy-David96- had same issue and guess what - it was again an 04 330i ZHP. Also, Mtnman- David reported the same noise on his -yes- an 04 330i ZHP. The plot thickens...

danewilson77
11-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Found a 3/28/11 thread where guy-David96- had same issue and guess what - it was again an 04 330i ZHP. Also, Mtnman- David reported the same noise on his -yes- an 04 330i ZHP. The plot thickens...

Lol....yes it does.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

prowlerflyer
12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
So I got a replacement starter several weeks ago, put it in the car and since then not a single problem. Who says cars do not have feelings....

Now, whether or not to change out a working starter.

ryankokesh
12-05-2011, 02:04 PM

I have the same problem on cold mornings sometimes. I have an '03 325xi though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echo46
12-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Prowler--low and behold another 04 ZHP with a shot starter. Where have I heard that before?