PDA

View Full Version : FYI: Traction control and brake lights on? Read this.

az3579
11-04-2011, 08:01 PM
So your traction control and brake lights are stuck on. You've had all the sensors checked (steering angle sensor, wheel speed sensor, etc.) and they all test good, are free of crud, and are installed correctly. Why are the lights still on?

Simple answer. If you have had suspension work done, or have worn suspension components that could cause a misalignment, get the car aligned, then drive it for a while.

I had a badly misaligned steering wheel and these lights stuck on when I hit a bad pothole that destroyed my balljoints on my left front control arm. Replaced it and the steering wheel was still crooked but the steering was tight. I got the alignment done expecting the lights to go out and they didn't.

The key is to drive it for a little while. These lights will go out. No freaking out necessary.
What happens is that the steering angle sensor detects that the wheel has toe in or toe out, not to spec, so the traction control gets disabled. The system cannot operate as its calculations will be thrown off and it cannot effectively administer the proper countermeasures with the specs that it sits at currently. Once the alignment is done, the sensors just need a little time and mileage to "recalibrate" if you will (all of this is an educated guess that I narrowed it down to) and allow the system to detect that the specs are within the norm range again.

I thought this was the issue because I got my laptop with the dianostic software on it (INPA). I saw that the wheel speed sensors were all appropriately picking up the correct wheel speeds, and that the steering angle sensor was operating as normal (it detected all proper steering inputs as well), so I knew my sensors were fine.

That is all. An excerpt from my daily ZHP diaries.

Ryans323i
11-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Thanks for the posting this info BP. Someone is going to be very thankful.

(Also glad you're lights are off :))

danewilson77
11-05-2011, 07:25 AM
Totally confirms my data.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?3873-BMW-330i-ZHP-Steering-Wheel-Angle-Sensor-Information-and-Discussion&highlight=steering

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Scorpius
11-05-2011, 07:30 AM
I got my laptop with the dianostic software on it (INPA). .

ok you've peaked my curiosity....what is this software? bmw specific? if so how / where do i get it?

danewilson77
11-05-2011, 07:41 AM
ok you've peaked my curiosity....what is this software? bmw specific? if so how / where do i get it?

LOL. We have a build thread somewhere with the downloadable software...I think. You just need a dedicated laptop.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

az3579
11-05-2011, 05:00 PM
LOL. We have a build thread somewhere with the downloadable software...I think. You just need a dedicated laptop.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Doesn't have to be dedicated. I have mine running on Virtual Machines.
This is the thread: http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?1808-How-to-set-up-a-BMW-Diagnostic-Computer
The problem is, all of the info in the original post was deleted. There is that same info somewhere later in the thread, towards the last few pages.

Regardless.
I should also point out, that it's not a good thing to leave your MAF disconnected. Car won't like it, and you'll have to stare at an ugly SES light for about 30 miles after reconnecting. Ask me how I know. :shifty

05ZHPCPE
11-07-2011, 06:04 PM
Wierd. This morning I started the car up and had these all stay on to/from a short trip to the store. (8mi. total) Did a little research through the forums,,, then about 6 hours later, started back up and they went out like normal and did about 50mi. No recent maintenance or suspension damage. :dunno