PDA

View Full Version : Weird headlight problem

AzkotikBMW
11-05-2011, 04:05 PM
So I installed the Khoalty LED Angel Eye set and everything with them works fine. However...as soon as I installed the headlights again the drivers side low beam projector won't come on. I tested the passenger headlight on the drivers side wiring and same result. Tested the drivers side lamp on the passenger side wiring and it worked perfectly. So at this point I thought it was the wiring that was bad. So I brought out the multimeter to test if there was an juice coming through the wires and the current was the same for both sides. So I said hell with it and assembled everything back together because the car is going in to the shop for some routine maintenance, and I can just have them look at it. So I start the car up after everything is installed and the low-beam works again magically!! So I took it for a little drive to make sure I didn't mess anything up...and stopped at a gas station to fill up. After filling up I started the car up of course.....no drivers side low-beam. It shows up on the OBC as not working and I also can't turn off my foglights. I have made sure the connections are secure and seated correctly.

So I am now completely confused.....does anyone have any ideas?

Hermes
11-05-2011, 04:15 PM
oh no, not again....

read this and see if my little trick makes yours light up. It probably is the grounding wire that's at fault

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showthread.php?5101-HELP!-AL-HID-low-beam-doesnt-wanna-work

az3579
11-05-2011, 04:19 PM
I'm pretty sure the fogs are staying on because that's how they're programmed in the event of headlight failure.

Sent from my Droid Charge 4G on Verizon

Hermes
11-05-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm pretty sure the fogs are staying on because that's how they're programmed in the event of headlight failure.

Sent from my Droid Charge 4G on Verizon

yeah, you can't turn them off unless you change the light switch from auto to one of the other ones

jreyes19
11-05-2011, 05:43 PM
i guess i am lucky to have halogens
sorry to hear :(

AzkotikBMW
11-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Hermes....that does work to get my headlight on temporarily....but the OBC still says its not working even though the headlight is on.

Is there a permenant fix for this?

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Hermes
11-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Yeah, mine is the same. I haven't got around to dealing with mine yet but I'm pretty sure you need to run a new ground wire. I don't drive my car at night much recently. The ground wire is the the solid brown one, the ground plate is behind the turn signal. Or you can run it to some bare metal on the engine

AzkotikBMW
11-10-2011, 07:08 AM
So I was researching on E46fanatics.com and apparently this has happened to quite a few people. The only real explanation I could find is that the LCM (light control module) may need to be "reset" after the headlights have been disconnected. This can be done by simply unhooking the battery from the car for about 5 minutes to reset the electronics. I'm going to try this tonight when I get home. Hopefully it will work so I don't have to open my hood every morning for my drive to work!

Have you tried this yet Hermes?

AzkotikBMW
11-21-2011, 10:33 AM
BTW Hermes....resetting the LCM worked perfectly for me!

If you just unhook the negative cable from the battery for ~5 minutes, it should clear up your headlight problems!!

Hermes
11-21-2011, 07:55 PM
I guess I should update this. I just got my car back from the shop today and my headlight magically works again. Maybe they unhooked my battery too, I dunno.