PDA

View Full Version : CLutch an such

Muggzie
11-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Alright so im curious here on what you guys are running for clutches if your not running stock and if your running light weight flywheels.... what do you like? set ups that work, ones that dont? are they oem fitment or did you have to modify? Best bang for your buck? that kinda stuff if you guys could give me some feed back that would be awesome i have my own options on this im just curious what you folks out there are running on your ZHP or non-Zhp

SoarinZHP
11-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Good question - I had a 325i and went through two stock clutches in 6 years. I went with an M5 conversion which included a lightweight aluminum flywheel (8.5 lbs) and a performance street organic disc. The clutch mechanism itself was a stock M5 clutch. I thought it would have incredible clamping power.

Let me tell you, I hated it for a couple reasons:
1 - Gear chatter (lash) was ridiculous when the a/c was on. The car sounded horrible at idle. I could have changed tranny lubricant but I was too lazy.
2 - The clutch was *heavy* - driving in traffic was a chore
3 - Getting a smooth take off was tough due to the heavy clutch and the performance disc. It was grabby.

What I liked about it?
1 - rev matching was cake.
2 - it felt quicker off the line

When I had it installed, the tech said it should be the last clutch I put in the car. It may last that long, but I didn't like it and was actually factored in to my decision to get rid of the car. I got rid of my 325 and bought the ZHP.

On a side note, some have suggested trying an M3 clutch... Haven't tried it and don't know anyone who has...

My two cents... - Kris

webster
11-07-2011, 11:20 AM
looking at doing the UUC kit that includes the kevlar clutch and lightweight flyhweel. total cost will be around $1500.

RVAzhp
12-05-2011, 12:00 PM
i've got 127k and still going on an original clutch....i'll probably just go OEM again. i don't track or race my car by any means and i do like the clutch. plus i mean 127k on an OEM clutch is hard to beat.

M0nk3y
12-05-2011, 12:02 PM
If you don't plan on tracking or auto-crossing, I don't see a need to change it IMO.

My clutch is really heavy. When I still had my E46, I went to go move it and I stalled it instantly, it was such a huge difference. IMO if you DD the car or anything like that, I wouldn't suggest it. You will start to hate it. It does give me leg a nice workout in standstill traffic, but boy do I love the grab and I'm addicted to it.