PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Fluid flush?

redwagon
11-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I havent dove into this yet, I'm assuming there is a bleed valve or nipple down around the slave cylinder somewhere?

I have a pressure bleeder for brakes and have done that, just trying to understand the 'other end' of the clutch a little before I dive in.......

thanks-
Tim

telijah
11-11-2011, 11:22 AM
Hope this helps, snagged it from AllData, and modified the page to keep secret my source!

redwagon
11-11-2011, 11:32 AM
thanks! Do I really need the 'special tool'??
Tim

telijah
11-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Nope, and sorry about that. A lot fo the repair instructions from AllData always use the BMW special tools. Most are things like pullers and breathers and bleeders. Finding a good non-BMW alternate is perfectly fine.

LivesNearCostco
11-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I bled my clutch slave without the special tool because I didn't remove the slave from the transmission housing. I just attached the power bleeder to the brake fluid reservoir (as if I were going to bleed the brakes), pressurized it, got under the car, attached a catch bottle tube to the bleeder valve, and opened it. The brake fluid slowly flowed into my catch bottle.

Since I didn't detach the slave, it's possible I left a bubble or two trapped in there, but I figured with the pressure on the reservoir, it should force out any bubbles.

billschusteriv
11-12-2011, 08:00 AM
I bled my clutch slave without the special tool because I didn't remove the slave from the transmission housing. I just attached the power bleeder to the brake fluid reservoir (as if I were going to bleed the brakes), pressurized it, got under the car, attached a catch bottle tube to the bleeder valve, and opened it. The brake fluid slowly flowed into my catch bottle.

Since I didn't detach the slave, it's possible I left a bubble or two trapped in there, but I figured with the pressure on the reservoir, it should force out any bubbles.

+1. Good post!

I also would not want to remove the slave just to bleed it. When I did it, It was a PITA to hold it in place and apply the necessary force to get the bolt threads to show enough so I could get thread engagement on the fasteners.

Blackberry. Tapatalk.